?? whats the problem??

Hi all think i may have a problem in my stock loft!! birds have come from various different sources!! 2/3 have started to go lame and not able to fly  :-/ 1 wing dropping and limping? birds appear healthy in every other way? could this be paramyxovirus? they have nt been injectected! would it cure them by injecting? or what else could it be? please help!! what do i do? ??)

yea sounds like paratyophoid,i had this last season some died,when i injected some picked up others died luckily all my best birds didnt show any signs but in the end those that i tried to save had to be disposed off,Dave Allens around antwerp with belg de weerd is an interesting watch if ya get your hands on that they go into detail about the subject

Hi there are 2 hens and 1 cock that have gone like that, plus 2 ybs in the nest diedabout 10 days old yesterday? what causes calcium deficiency? as they have different grits, minerals? do you think i will have to kill them all? where has it come from? and how do i stop it spreading?? any off the shelf alternatives to batril? :-/

thanks

If you break a Milk of Magnesia (or something similar Tums etc)into 4 and give it the bird over 2 days it will cure the problem, but I've only found this with hens.

I also buy a product called Calcium Glocomate which Dairy Farmers use for their Milk Cows, to prevent Calcium deficiency.  It is very cheap I pay $4 for a large bottle say just over 2 quid and put a splash in the drinking water once a week.

Hope this helps

With due respect to the others who have posted, calcium deficiency would cause problems but surely very rarely death in old birds and youngsters in the nest?

I think you've a serious infection and agree with others sounds very like paratyphoid, a bacterial infection caused by salmonella and usually associated with rodent contamination of the birds feed, water or housing, or all three.

Make sure that everything is secure - absolutely no access for mice, rats etc to the birds etc. Put something handy in the birds drinking water, like cider apple vinegar or fresh garlic.

Clean & disinfect everything the birds touch. Try for something we members know that works: Virkon, Jeyes Fluid, or something safe & strong like them.

Isolate the affected birds, and take one of them along to a good avian vet for a professional diagnosis. Depending on what the vet says, take it on from there.

you guys have me paranioid now !!! ive just had the old birds out and one was dropping a wing (not both wings just the one) it is drizzling tho and they are all trying to have a shower on the lawn, do you think its just coz she is wet ??

i think you would have to cull me too if my birds had to go id never be able to afford to replace them  :o :'( :-/

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like paratyphoid.If you decide not to cull and get them vaccinated those that do make a recovery about 30 percent usually will be ok and not carriers .

http://www.chevita.com/tauben/behandlung-englisch/specificinfections_paramyxovirus.htm

Follow that link and look at the droppings you will know for sure if you have Pmv .

hope you havnt and all is well for you.

Ronnie

no need to get paranoid p,h, but really if you had seen birds with serious paratyphoid,salmonelosis youd actualy want to kill them , its one of the most horrible things to see, birds with their neck so contorted they cant eat [very like paramyxo]lying flat on their back with their legs in the air unable to get up, no co-ordination whatsoever, even in milder cases they cant pick up the grub , missing the peas or beans by about half an inch wings drooping becoming solid [tight]many other symtoms, youve no need to worry at yours , you would soon notice this, the other problem it can make them infertile and can become carriers for life, i would go as far as to say its the worst thing a pigeon can get , and for the future of the other inmates and its one of the few deseases that can spread in the egg, the worst cause of this is usualy rats and mice, but a good vet especialy agricultural vets can tell you within a 3 days with a droppings test  [the pigeon droppings i mean ;D]

you guys have me paranioid now !!! ive just had the old birds out and one was dropping a wing (not both wings just the one) it is drizzling tho and they are all trying to have a shower on the lawn, do you think its just coz she is wet ??

i think you would have to cull me too if my birds had to go id never be able to afford to replace them  :o :'( :-/

Wondered what was outcome with your 'problem' birds?

Most certainly don't treat blindly. If you intend to treat, get one or two straight to the Vet for his/her advise and find out what it is because there are symptoms that are similar but need different treatments.  

Do it ASAP before it spreads to the other birds and you MAY be able to save them.

i've heard a rummor that in my club a few member have vaccinated against paratyphoid. there yb losses or minamal  (1 or 2). i did not think you could treat this with a vaccine. these people who have been named to me also are the the same people who have had a great yb season. but you no what rummors are like.

myself, other than the pmv jab, acv an garlic my birds dont get any other medication unless i know what  the problem is and then only approved pigeon products or what the vet prescribes is used.