Rpra Avian Flu Update

Delboy

This morning I attended the meeting of the above group organised by DEFRA. The following is a summary of the update provided by DEFRA. 1. As previously publicised the housing measures will be removed from mid night 31st March 2021. 2. An Avian Influenza Prevention Zone will remain in place across the UK until the risk is assessed as low. 3. The current risk level has been assessed as being between mid and high level. 4. The General license for bird gatherings will be reinstated when the risk level is deemed to be low. 5. The next review will be carried out at the end of March A number of stakeholders asked why DEFRA had not published a 'Road Map' (plan) for when restriction could be lifted. The response outlined that it was impossible to predict when the risk would be assessed as low. I raised the question would Defra be considering the lifting of the ban on gatherings for specific species of birds ie. Before the 'blanket ban was lifted' . It was outlined that pigeons were deemed a low risk of transmitting/spreading avian influenza. Defra's reply was that it was possible that the gatherings could be permitted for certain species deemed low risk in advance of other species of birds. With this in mind I have written to the Defra representatives to request a meeting in advance of the next risk assessment at the end of March Ian Evans CEO

This morning I attended the meeting of the above group organised by DEFRA. The following is a summary of the update provided by DEFRA. 1. As previously publicised the housing measures will be removed from mid night 31st March 2021. 2. An Avian Influenza Prevention Zone will remain in place across the UK until the risk is assessed as low. 3. The current risk level has been assessed as being between mid and high level. 4. The General license for bird gatherings will be reinstated when the risk level is deemed to be low. 5. The next review will be carried out at the end of March A number of stakeholders asked why DEFRA had not published a 'Road Map' (plan) for when restriction could be lifted. The response outlined that it was impossible to predict when the risk would be assessed as low. I raised the question would Defra be considering the lifting of the ban on gatherings for specific species of birds ie. Before the 'blanket ban was lifted' . It was outlined that pigeons were deemed a low risk of transmitting/spreading avian influenza. Defra's reply was that it was possible that the gatherings could be permitted for certain species deemed low risk in advance of other species of birds. With this in mind I have written to the Defra representatives to request a meeting in advance of the next risk assessment at the end of March Ian Evans CEO

its the third wave of covid that will be the problem