Young Bird Racing

dunc50

Racing or training young birds in modern day pigeon racing in August is utter madness, as the A1 raptor in the county is at its peak training its youngsters the art of survival and the mane target is the young racing pigeon,

Every year same old song bad training bad racing and the fancier lifts the hat scratches the boldly bit and says let's vote for the same race date just maybe change the lib site it will be OK, yes it will be OK next year,

We are not learning by our mistakes, JMO

Spot on.

For the early breeders we need to race YB's Mid-May through June, but this needs to be supported with YB racing from mid-September through October for the later breeders. Give them just enough to educate them a little, treat them carefully as yearlings, then we might have 2YO that we are able to stretch out.

Spot on.

For the early breeders we need to race YB's Mid-May through June, but this needs to be supported with YB racing from mid-September through October for the later breeders. Give them just enough to educate them a little, treat them carefully as yearlings, then we might have 2YO that we are able to stretch out.

I would go for that 100%

I would go for that 100%

me to but id prefer to cancel youngbird racing in britain for one season and deprive them of most of there pray in the hope of starving them out and getting the numbers down and we would all have a yb team to train and race with the old birds the following season got to be worth a try and would cost nothing

I think feds should train young birds through the rest of the season and forget the racing the way it's going maybay down to costs I don't no if federations will do it but surely our young birds have to to come first as ther the future wee have to think of that first as if wee don't racing will decline rapidly and no doubt a lot more fanciers saying anough is anough and packing it in as a lot are already doing just my opinion but

me to but id prefer to cancel youngbird racing in britain for one season and deprive them of most of there pray in the hope of starving them out and getting the numbers down and we would all have a yb team to train and race with the old birds the following season got to be worth a try and would cost nothing

Walter you won't starve them that's a myth

agree m8 but might reduce them a bit but even if it did not reduce there numbers we would all have a full team of yb to train and race along with the old birds the following season

Walter, last year was the only year I have raced young birds, accepted only been in them since 2009 and the majority of my racing has been North, so short, but with untrained latebreds I expected them to race Fraserburgh which is 165 miles to me. I used to have 12 left from 18. The following year racing Thurso was a different matter. There have also been some years where the statistics were not as good.

The reason I'm stating this is that it ties in with what you have stated above. Breed later that way you're not feeding them all year. Don't race them, train if you wish. Overwinter more than you might normally so do. Treat them carefully as latebred yearlings, experienced fanciers like yourself would probably get more out of them than I would. As 2YO they should be ready for anything.

The songbirds will suffer, but our pigeons won't. :)