Buying Birds For Stock.

PIGEON_MAN

Probabley been on before but I was just wondering what with the many thousands of birds on sale at Blackpool next weekend how do people select birds for stock,i.e.buy from certain fanciers,certain strains,sons daughters off champion pigeons,on eyesign,throat theory etc etc.

I handle every bird that takes my eye and if they fit my hand as well I'll take a chance on it.

A Never read pedigrees before purchase and as a rule of thumb i avoid studs preferring to buy from racing lofts.

Did however relent and bought 2 off Louella about 3 years ago and one of them bred the yearling hen I timed fae Ypres last year, so they're not All bad out of stud lofts.

The pedigree for me is the upmost importance. Then i look at the throat, which for me is very important, ive been to lofts and picked out fanciers best breeders without being told anything about the birds. I also purchased a pair at blackpool a few years ago selected only on the throat, the rest could be said to be history as they bred my 'After Eight' plus other good birds.

The pedigree for me is the upmost importance. Then i look at the throat, which for me is very important, ive been to lofts and picked out fanciers best breeders without being told anything about the birds. I also purchased a pair at blackpool a few years ago selected only on the throat, the rest could be said to be history as they bred my 'After Eight' plus other good birds.

what is it you look for in the throat?

I think you look for something to improve your idea of a good handling bird ,what conforms to your likes ,Wiley says throat i wish he would say what he looks for in this theory ,if you wish to put in a bit of speed ,or increase the distance your birds do then shop around with this in mind IMO.

what is it you look for in the throat?

Baldeagle, i look for the curtain in the throat, as ive said many times on this forum, i was lucky enough that frank tasker, took me under his wing when he was alive, and showed me the method first hand, and what to look for. I was also fortunate enough that Ronnie Bigwood was also a neighbour of mine, and he also believed in the throat, and when i was still in the learning stage of the throat, i could fire questions. Many watched secrets of champions and felt they understood the theory overnight, ill be honest it took me at least two years for me to say i could trust my judgement.

If you want to learn about the throat the best dvd on it is the original best of british with frank and geoff kirkland

No one will sell their best stock unless they are jacking in so entire clearance is best opertunity to get proven breeders

If you carnt afford them buy latebreds off their best stock that have bred winners and breeders of birds that breed winners

As for Blackpool --good place to go for your candy rock--loads of tom pepers there next week end.

Always look at distance you want your birds to race as not many birds can do both sprint and distance.