Barcelona Int

geordie1234

There is 1 in, East section, Mr R Dove, day 3. Congrats to that pigeon a brave soul, but lately all the races are more homing than races to me. I ain't surprised, yesterday down here was blowing west/north west 20mph bright sun, with heavy down pours thrown in. I doubt if anyone down here will see a feather again in the southwest

There is 1 in, East section, Mr R Dove, day 3. Congrats to that pigeon a brave soul, but lately all the races are more homing than races to me. I ain't surprised, yesterday down here was blowing west/north west 20mph bright sun, with heavy down pours thrown in. I doubt if anyone down here will see a feather again in the southwest

1886 times in a short while ago.Digging deep now. :unsure:

I asked the question on the forum the other day. What do you class racing or homing. I don't see how 2 birds home from 359 sent in 3 days is racing. I'd say it's verging on cruelty. I know I'll get slagged off, but only my opinion.

I asked the question on the forum the other day. What do you class racing or homing. I don't see how 2 birds home from 359 sent in 3 days is racing. I'd say it's verging on cruelty. I know I'll get slagged off, but only my opinion.

you are entitled to your opinion,and u won,t be alone with it, :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Some sort of beast to fly almost 2000 miles in whatever time imo. Thats over 3 Ancenis races back to back. I wouldn't mind a couple of them in my loft.

It's 1049 tae me so could gee it a go if these guys are doing it.... 10day race....saying that I think that's the 11th day my Reims doos are on pmsl

1 1st R Dove Kingsnorth GB11A17453 674 472 10 59 28 3 494.710 541.021

2 2nd R. Pearmain & Son Wickford GB04N19055 710 280 13 1 58 3 493.483 539.680

12 year old doo

and was worried about sending an 8 year old to otterburn 89mls,

There was a period in the late 60's, early 70's when a few Scots enthusiasts sent to Barcelona or Palamos. It did take weeks to get them back, but these fanciers were pushing the boundaries and testing out their stock. I know it was done a lot quicker after that, but the point is, there will always be pioneers attempting different feats.

As to cruelty, these fanciers prepared their pigeons for these feats. The pigeons knew how to survive off the fields and streets, open hole being the watchword at the time. Wild birds migrate 1000's of miles and this is not perceived as cruelty. Given that racing pigeons are not wild birds and do not have the choice whether to race or not, they do however have the choice whether to return or not.

Man has always used their "superiority" to test and circumvent nature, not only with animal husbandry, but also with science including medicine, etc. "Progress" has not always been successful and some interferences have been disastrous, but man has done this since time immemorial and I am sure will continue so to do. :)

Edited by Kyleakin Lofts

There was a period in the late 60's, early 70's when a few Scots enthusiasts sent to Barcelona or Palamos. It did take weeks to get them back, but these fanciers were pushing the boundaries and testing out their stock. I know it was done a lot quicker after that, but the point is, there will always be pioneers attempting different feats.

As to cruelty, these fanciers prepared their pigeons for these feats. The pigeons knew how to survive off the fields and streets, open hole being the watchword at the time. Wild birds migrate 1000's of miles and this is not perceived as cruelty. Given that racing pigeons are not wild birds and do not have the choice whether to race or not, they do however have the choice whether to return or not.

Man has always used their "superiority" to test and circumvent nature, not only with animal husbandry, but also with science including medicine, etc. "Progress" has not always been successful and some interferences have been disastrous, but man has done this since time immemorial and I am sure will continue so to do. :)

Andy a big factor nowadays is the fields are as good as hoovered when they chop the barley etc back then the machinery wasn't as effective and left tons of grain lying so birds could survive better I think this has a big bearing on not getting as many working back theses days just my opinion

Not weeks Andy,RCHC." Conqueror"bred and raced by Alan Raeside Irvine Ayrshire 1,000mls record holder timed just over 2 days vel.687 =24 mph 1,OO9 mls,we are getting vels like that these days at 250mls lol.

That was after W Davidson from Kilwinning was sending his. He was a member of Ardeer Club. :)

Andy a big factor nowadays is the fields are as good as hoovered when they chop the barley etc back then the machinery wasn't as effective and left tons of grain lying so birds could survive better I think this has a big bearing on not getting as many working back theses days just my opinion

This would certainly be a factor Ricky, but the allegation of cruelty is down to human interference with natural practices where the "people of the land" controlled vermin unencumbered. Nowadays, the human meddling is supporting "top of the tree" predators in an artificial manner, encouraging them into areas that are alien to their natural habitat and this artificial support prevents the "people of the land" from carrying on their traditions. :)

interesting post Ricky, funnily enough I got a doo back the other day that's been lost for 2 years but I think your right in what your saying.