Annual General Meetings

philg50

Whats the members thoughts on being able to vote by post on agendas mentioned in proposals ,I think yes it would make it more democratic ,and as opposed to i would say 40% if not less of the membership , making the decisions for the many,its just a thought .

I know of several opinionated and intelligent fanciers who never turn up at Federation AGMs , I have never even able to understand why.I have heard all the arguments before in favour of a system of postal votes,but such a system is open to abuse and difficult to implement.I am sorry to disagree but I believe that all fanciers should make the effort whenever possible to attend the AGM and to be prepared to defend or oppose the motions.I have been at too many meetings where when asked to give opinions or fill vacant positions pigeon fanciers find it necessary to make a close examination of the floor near their boots.

Whats the members thoughts on being able to vote by post on agendas mentioned in proposals ,I think yes it would make it more democratic ,and as opposed to i would say 40% if not less of the membership , making the decisions for the many,its just a thought .

That would be a yes from me,reason being it would stop the people who vote for whatever their "hero" or "loudmouth"votes for they put their hand up for fear of reprisals,this way they can act like Men and no be feart of no longer being in the clique,it happens.

I know of several opinionated and intelligent fanciers who never turn up at Federation AGMs , I have never even able to understand why.I have heard all the arguments before in favour of a system of postal votes,but such a system is open to abuse and difficult to implement.I am sorry to disagree but I believe that all fanciers should make the effort whenever possible to attend the AGM and to be prepared to defend or oppose the motions.I have been at too many meetings where when asked to give opinions or fill vacant positions pigeon fanciers find it necessary to make a close examination of the floor near their boots.

I agree with you Walter and for the same sentiments. :)

That would be a yes from me,reason being it would stop the people who vote for whatever their "hero" or "loudmouth"votes for they put their hand up for fear of reprisals,this way they can act like Men and no be feart of no longer being in the clique,it happens.

If they act like men, they would speak up for what they thought and if necessary against the loudest mouth. :)

I agree with you Walter and for the same sentiments. :)

If they act like men, they would speak up for what they thought and if necessary against the loudest mouth. :)

OK,I will change it to they are not man enough to vote in public

but it makes them feel like men if they can do it by postal vote ok.END.

totally agree to many people go to start shouting and intimidate others the only way to get a proper vote is a postal vote

This matter has always interested me,maybe because I am better at pigeon politics than pigeon racing, sad to say. However I have to make one point I have wondered why talented and successful fanciers refuse office in federations when they would be able to make a significant contribution Fanciers have absolutely no need to be intimidated by loudmouths and bullies at meetings

This matter has always interested me,maybe because I am better at pigeon politics than pigeon racing, sad to say. However I have to make one point I have wondered why talented and successful fanciers refuse office in federations when they would be able to make a significant contribution Fanciers have absolutely no need to be intimidated by loudmouths and bullies at meetings

[/quote

Quite right Walter. ......you should hound these guys until they take up a post

Generally by what i hear fed AGM are poorly attended so what made me think of this was,numbers why is it in the 21st century we as members are told if your not there you forfeit your right of a vote ,who decides this the minority ??? ,I can see Walters point as regards filling positions ,but its interesting to hear your thoughts.

My own Federation usually in the region of 50%, my club 100% , the SHU AGM can only be described as lamentable.I might mention that I was once informed by a very respected fancier that taking senior office was like a condemned man walking into the gas chamber.

Best president in modern times......if that's not some kind of mixed metaphor ir summit

Disagree!! If a person is passionate enough either for or against any proposals put forward at AGMS he/she should make the effort and attend and have their say !

totally agree to many people go to start shouting and intimidate others the only way to get a proper vote is a postal vote

When this sort of behaviour starts, the Chairperson should rise to a point of order and instruct the loudmouth to be seated or to conduct themselves in a proper manner. It is not only the person voting in a certain way, to stay in the clique, that needs to man up, the chairpersons need to conduct their meetings correctly.

I am a President within a Club and my meetings do not become rowdy. :)

When this sort of behaviour starts, the Chairperson should rise to a point of order and instruct the loudmouth to be seated or to conduct themselves in a proper manner. It is not only the person voting in a certain way, to stay in the clique, that needs to man up, the chairpersons need to conduct their meetings correctly.

I am a President within a Club and my meetings do not become rowdy. :)

I was elected Federation Secretary at our last AGM. That may have been because the incumbent gave up the office, but during the meeting a member stated that other members spoke about me behind my back. My reply was that nobody in the Federation was my friend, so I wasn't bothered. Water off a duck's back was a phrase I used. I had acquaintances within the Federation with whom I was fairly friendly, but there were many whose names I didn't even know. The jury is out whether they keep me in the post, but I know that I have performed well.

Like you Walter, I am better at admin than pigeon racing, but I still enjoy my doos. :)

youve not been in the game to long andy my first agm 16 years ago the president was shouting and swearing with a member and it never got any better as the years went on just a place for a shouting match between individuals with their own agenda

youve not been in the game to long andy my first agm 16 years ago the president was shouting and swearing with a member and it never got any better as the years went on just a place for a shouting match between individuals with their own agenda

You are able to give me 10 years "in the game", but the situation you describe is very sad!!!

I have acted as Secretary and Treasurer in organisations for over 30 years. I have held the chair in organisations numerous times within that same time and have also held National chairs, so plenty experience in regard to conducting meetings.

The President should be ensuring the proper governance of the organisation and whilst he/ she is entitled to an opinion it serves better if they are able to remain neutral only using their deliberative vote when they feel extremely strongly in regard to a matter. There are ways a chairman can guide a meeting. In my short time within pigeons I have attended a few poorly ran meetings and I have stated that fact and my statement was minuted.

An organisation can only be as good as the members within it. If you have a poor organisation, it is because you have poor members. Members must own their organisation and there only way of so doing is to place people in the governing positions that merit the post, then informing them with regard to the direction they wish to proceed. The Management Team, then have to do the work and decide whether it is feasible and report back. It would take too long to try to mention every principle within good management. :)

You are able to give me 10 years "in the game", but the situation you describe is very sad!!!

I have acted as Secretary and Treasurer in organisations for over 30 years. I have held the chair in organisations numerous times within that same time and have also held National chairs, so plenty experience in regard to conducting meetings.

The President should be ensuring the proper governance of the organisation and whilst he/ she is entitled to an opinion it serves better if they are able to remain neutral only using their deliberative vote when they feel extremely strongly in regard to a matter. There are ways a chairman can guide a meeting. In my short time within pigeons I have attended a few poorly ran meetings and I have stated that fact and my statement was minuted.

An organisation can only be as good as the members within it. If you have a poor organisation, it is because you have poor members. Members must own their organisation and there only way of so doing is to place people in the governing positions that merit the post, then informing them with regard to the direction they wish to proceed. The Management Team, then have to do the work and decide whether it is feasible and report back. It would take too long to try to mention every principle within good management. :)

give me a drink of what youre drinking andy

Was the National chairs with the SNFC or the SNRPC?.