Show Season

andy Burgess

As some of you know i also keep the fancy show pigeons and attend shows down as far as Nottingham, if lice or quill lice are found on a bird it is instant disqualification.

Scotty M

I was speaking to a judge at one of the shows

he said if he handled a bird that had 1 or 2 lice

he would not disqualify it as it could of come from a bird in the next pen

and become active with the heat in the hall and moved across the table

obviously a lot of lice and the birds disqualified

ps- the odd louse may have come off the judges own clothing

or someone who has handled the bird earlier

I was speaking to a judge at one of the shows

he said if he handled a bird that had 1 or 2 lice

he would not disqualify it as it could of come from a bird in the next pen

and become active with the heat in the hall and moved across the table

obviously a lot of lice and the birds disqualified

ps- the odd louse may have come off the judges own clothing

or someone who has handled the bird earlier

Correct post here, Ive judged many, many top shows in Scotland and in every class, bar none , a pigeon has had lice. If its just the odd one, I killed it myself and dragged it out the feather and then continued judging the pigeon as if it was clean. If moving with them, it was put back in the pen very quickly, regardless of how it handled/looked.

Correct post here, Ive judged many, many top shows in Scotland and in every class, bar none , a pigeon has had lice. If its just the odd one, I killed it myself and dragged it out the feather and then continued judging the pigeon as if it was clean. If moving with them, it was put back in the pen very quickly, regardless of how it handled/looked.

I understand what u r saying however the NPA book of standards clearly states that lice (passengers) disqaulify therefore rules have to be adhered to, PS remember i am talking about fancy show which are shown under the NPA standard/rules .

Guest geordiejen

scotty i remember a few years ago up in the spanish hall i was looking at a white king pigeon that won b,o,breed.their was about 8 lice crawling on the surface of the neck feathers.that bird must have been crawling.

while we are talking shows i used to take my birds to lots of shows years ago but was never very successfull the reason for this was i always took my winners not my best lookers or best handeler because i thought any novice knows what nice looking bird looks like or nice handler feels like and there are not many winners that look good and handle well enough to win a show what i wanted to learn was if there were judges that could pick out birds that have won races or can win races and im afraid the answer to that is no they cant so to me a show is nothing more than a day out and a bit of fun and just the guys opinion on what looks nice or handels nice and not to be taken to serious as it means nothing so this year im going to take a few of what i think are lookers and handelers to see if i can win some for a change and just enjoy the day out and the blether

Then the judge was every bit as bad as the owner in my opinion.

I judge at shows for fancy pigeons and only last year i found several birds that were covered with quil lice and when i found out who they belonged to i went to inform him however he did not no an to make it worse he has kept birds for over 30 years and had never seen or heard of them b4, then i had to tell him how to get rid of them.

Guest geordiejen

Then the judge was every bit as bad as the owner in my opinion.

I judge at shows for fancy pigeons and only last year i found several birds that were covered with quil lice and when i found out who they belonged to i went to inform him however he did not no an to make it worse he has kept birds for over 30 years and had never seen or heard of them b4, then i had to tell him how to get rid of them.thats pretty shocking mate.

Guest chad3646

while we are talking shows i used to take my birds to lots of shows years ago but was never very successfull the reason for this was i always took my winners not my best lookers or best handeler because i thought any novice knows what nice looking bird looks like or nice handler feels like and there are not many winners that look good and handle well enough to win a show what i wanted to learn was if there were judges that could pick out birds that have won races or can win races and im afraid the answer to that is no they cant so to me a show is nothing more than a day out and a bit of fun and just the guys opinion on what looks nice or handels nice and not to be taken to serious as it means nothing so this year im going to take a few of what i think are lookers and handelers to see if i can win some for a change and just enjoy the day out and the blether

you hit the nail on the head walter club shows are mainly for funds and a day out but some of them take it to seriously when they dont win,some of the judges that are asked to judge have only been in the game a couple of years so it is pot luck who wins i m o

at last i have to disagree with you . last year i put birds in the show at rosewell .i had only won i think a 4th before that show. i won a 1st 2x 2nd and a 3rd. the 1st went to a cock that was 1st fed open newark yb,s the 2nd went to cock 1st fed yb nat.the judge also explained that if he did not have a small nick in 2nd last flight he would have won class .the other 2nd went to the grand dam of the 1st 1 and dam of the 2nd. so their is some judges that can pick out race birds to be at the top of classes. the 2 judges where tiger john jamison and stevie stevie girwood.

at last i have to disagree with you . last year i put birds in the show at rosewell .i had only won i think a 4th before that show. i won a 1st 2x 2nd and a 3rd. the 1st went to a cock that was 1st fed open newark yb,s the 2nd went to cock 1st fed yb nat.the judge also explained that if he did not have a small nick in 2nd last flight he would have won class .the other 2nd went to the grand dam of the 1st 1 and dam of the 2nd. so their is some judges that can pick out race birds to be at the top of classes. the 2 judges where tiger john jamison and stevie stevie girwood.

well done to them blaz where are they judging next m8 lol but i still think its more luck than skill bad pigeons can handle nice to unfotunately but nice to see good birds getting picked most of my winners are ugly f k s

well done to them blaz where are they judging next m8 lol but i still think its more luck than skill bad pigeons can handle nice to unfotunately but nice to see good birds getting picked most of my winners are ugly f k s

no idea whare their judging next but when you get good doo men to judge then i think they know what their looking for. both are members on hear so might see this and let you know.

no idea whare their judging next but when you get good doo men to judge then i think they know what their looking for. both are members on hear so might see this and let you know.

ur right garry good judges can pick them and by the way in the other class I put up a grizzel hen that was in the first 100 in snfc that year

so guys would you all agree that i did the right thing i was looking for your opinion

[/quote

Done the very same thing Walter, I was 15/16 and judged a show in Barrhead , I went with Albert oribine.a top well respected fancier from the past ,he done the ttw class ,I done the handling , I came across this cracker of a mealy cock , but as it was lousy way lice I never gave it a ticket , any ways this guy said to me I knew nothing about birds as this mealy cock had won 3/4 times across the water and numerous shows , I took him over to it and said in my usual loud voice ,yer doos manky way lice and this is a show and they shouldn't be lousy end of mate . Needless to say he shut up .

And yes I would do the same thing again

Guest chad3646

so guys would you all agree that i did the right thing i was looking for your opinion

[/quote

Done the very same thing Walter, I was 15/16 and judged a show in Barrhead , I went with Albert oribine.a top well respected fancier from the past ,he done the ttw class ,I done the handling , I came across this cracker of a mealy cock , but as it was lousy way lice I never gave it a ticket , any ways this guy said to me I knew nothing about birds as this mealy cock had won 3/4 times across the water and numerous shows , I took him over to it and said in my usual loud voice ,yer doos manky way lice and this is a show and they shouldn't be lousy end of mate . Needless to say he shut up .

And yes I would do the same thing again

first of all i dont think you should be judging at that early age there are guys that take the shows seriously, and yes it should not have went any further

ame='hotrod' date='15 October 2013 - 18:59 PM' timestamp='1381863575' post='875049']

first of all i dont think you should be judging at that early age there are guys that take the shows seriously, and yes it should not have went any further

15/16 . . ? Why not , I had won many a first by that time with a few 1st Feds , oh and won quite a few shows as well .