Crows

Walter swanston

Each year about this time the crows around here start paying my loft a lot of attention I am convinced they can hear the squabs squeaking in the nests.About 6 years ago I lost a few to the crows through letting them out too early.I let my racers out this morning and took a chance on them, CARELESSLY I allowed a young bird out with them, too young to fly properly it tottered about on the roof of the loft and was promptly nailed by a crow.... Happy Days

they will be carrion crows, I had to stop racing one year lost 8 old birds with them,, can be good for keeping hawks chased but if they start on your birds they are worse than hawks, they dont kill to eat they just kill anything in their teritory, they take the heads of old birds, and they are just as protected as any other bird, I will pm you later

Very crafty and intelligent birds, they will sit next to your birds for months and not touch them, thus giving your birds a false sense of security, then out of the blue, they pounce, and kill. I have also known them actually going into a loft and picking youngsters out the nest, or ripping their heads off through the doweling of a sputnik. As with BOP, you need to take action.http://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0138-thinking.gif

they will be carrion crows, I had to stop racing one year lost 8 old birds with them,, can be good for keeping hawks chased but if they start on your birds they are worse than hawks, they dont kill to eat they just kill anything in their teritory, they take the heads of old birds, and they are just as protected as any other bird, I will pm you later

Archie I think you will find that Carrion Crows are not protected, just like Magpies etc you are allowed to control them as long as you dont cause them to suffer

Guest geordiejen

had 2 squeekers running about the garden yesterday and noticed 5 crows on the neighbours tree maybe if i wasnt there i wouldnt have the squeekers today.

had 2 squeekers running about the garden yesterday and noticed 5 crows on the neighbours tree maybe if i wasnt there i wouldnt have the squeekers today.

its the carrion crows thats the problem, the one with the black shiny beak, and you will only get one nest in a tree, they take over the area chase guls, hawks and dogs, but dont keep hawks away they do chase them, I kept them at bay for a while but last year had one nesting just 30yds from my window, was good never touched my birds but were killing the wood pigeons which are here,

Remember as a kid on the farm my Da killed 2 he caught in the loft, they had been stealing squabs right out of the nests for seasons on end, He Hung them up on a nearby tree and the lofts were never bothered again.

Also remember my Da thought it was the same pair that had been doing it all along, them being the only 2 that worked out how to enter and leave the loft.

Remember as a kid on the farm my Da killed 2 he caught in the loft, they had been stealing squabs right out of the nests for seasons on end, He Hung them up on a nearby tree and the lofts were never bothered again.

Also remember my Da thought it was the same pair that had been doing it all along, them being the only 2 that worked out how to enter and leave the loft.

they do John, yes used to be good when you hung the dead up, but thats illegal you cant even move them, I remember as a youngster watching the fire brigade hosing the crows nest off trees, this was to keep the population in hand, which is not done now so far too many around, and all birds are protected now, you cant even collect their eggs now which was a big thing in my days,the schools used to have glass cabinets full of different birds eggs, you used to put a pin hole each end and blow the inside out of them so just keeping the shell,

they do John, yes used to be good when you hung the dead up, but thats illegal you cant even move them, I remember as a youngster watching the fire brigade hosing the crows nest off trees, this was to keep the population in hand, which is not done now so far too many around, and all birds are protected now, you cant even collect their eggs now which was a big thing in my days,the schools used to have glass cabinets full of different birds eggs, you used to put a pin hole each end and blow the inside out of them so just keeping the shell,

Aye yer right Archie, the do gooders have had it all their own way for far too long. Had collections myself as a kid and blew them out as you described, alas no longer for our descendent's.

Aye yer right Archie, the do gooders have had it all their own way for far too long. Had collections myself as a kid and blew them out as you described, alas no longer for our descendent's.http://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0156-rain.gifhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0156-rain.gif

yes m8, they look after better than humans now, if an animal or a bird gets hurt they can see a vet right away we have got to wait weeks to see a doctor, some dont reailise it but all birds are protected, kill a sparrow and you get done in,

Very crafty and intelligent birds, they will sit next to your birds for months and not touch them, thus giving your birds a false sense of security, then out of the blue, they pounce, and kill. I have also known them actually going into a loft and picking youngsters out the nest, or ripping their heads off through the doweling of a sputnik. As with BOP, you need to take action.

had that problem a few years back with crow in the loft and killed 2 youngsters in the nest, and they will keep coming back, and boy are they smart ?? had to remove the problem??

john

:animatedpigeons:

Guest H@wkBait

Magpies are smart there the only bird that can recognise itsel in the mirror they have the same body to brain ratio as primates just slightly less than humans n there cunning robbing buggers i have 4 come to my garden every day n they work together iv seen 2 distracting the dog as the other went down in to his kennel to steal his food surprisingly my birds arent scared of them either

A few years back when I had bantams, when I let them out in the morning I'd throw the corn down outside for them a few minutes later I heard this weird screeching and a bantam hen and crow were rolling over locked together, when I got there the crow had nearly ripped the top half of the beak off the bantam, I tried super glue but it didn't work long term, they crow continued to come for feed so I thought I'd better dispose of it, It was pretty grey in feathering and obviously quite old, I felt a bit guilty as it was only going for the easy option, a bit like myself and I don't doubt the bantam hen was the pushy one as they are quite feisty