Scottish Fanciers Self Destructing

It is 10 months since I started this post and was curious if any fancier had a change of view regarding the season past. Nobody lost any birds racing because they are well schooled and its just my imagination that birdages were reduced drastically because we stopped them and decided to keep them in the loft. I don't know about other Feds but mine could not complete the old bird programme due to either a lack of participation or a lack of birds left to race. That of course is the down side but on the other we don't have to feed so many over the winter. I wonder what another season will bring if we keep to the same formula ?.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is 10 months since I started this post and was curious if any fancier had a change of view regarding the season past. Nobody lost any birds racing because they are well schooled and its just my imagination that birdages were reduced drastically because we stopped them and decided to keep them in the loft. I don't know about other Feds but mine could not complete the old bird programme due to either a lack of participation or a lack of birds left to race. That of course is the down side but on the other we don't have to feed so many over the winter. I wonder what another season will bring if we keep to the same formula ?.

Peter

I wrote a letter to a well known scribe in 1990 regarding the nightmare I was experiencing regards peregrine falcons there was talk of it appearing in the pictorial ,I also had the tv and newspapers involved but overall was just laughed at because it was MY problem joe blogs around me was ok so carry on regardless ,fast forward 23years now they are established in many many towns and cities with I would say not even the RSPB know the true figures as their breeding is now totally out of control,Our fed for the first time in god knows how many years went to the coast with high expectations at our agm only a very small handful made it because of huge losses ,same with the youngsters total wipeout yet the majority of fanciers totally refuse to accept the real problem and come up with Micky mouse excuses ,Even heard a fancier state at the national dinner that Peregrine's were not a problem however he was drunk at the time ,Good luck to all and their theories which they are entitled to ,I in the meantime will stick to mine

Yours in Sport Michael Currie .t

Guest TAMMY_1

this season we lost about a third of our old birds and roughly about half our young birds,we lost a couple of old birds at the loft to a sparrowhawk and lost one training,young birds we lost 3 off the loft and 2 training.

Too many molly coddle doos as tam richardson says there is a nose bleed at 200ml

My nose is bleeding just thinking about it George. I do however want to race distance, so at some time I shall have to decide apprenticeship over, learn the trade from the big boys. That time may be this year, but probably next due to delays in my home plans.

I know what Tam means though and I agree they have to be sent to the required distance to develop the loft potential. There will be losses on the way. Andy's 98% rule.

Peter

I wrote a letter to a well known scribe in 1990 regarding the nightmare I was experiencing regards peregrine falcons there was talk of it appearing in the pictorial ,I also had the tv and newspapers involved but overall was just laughed at because it was MY problem joe blogs around me was ok so carry on regardless ,fast forward 23years now they are established in many many towns and cities with I would say not even the RSPB know the true figures as their breeding is now totally out of control,Our fed for the first time in god knows how many years went to the coast with high expectations at our agm only a very small handful made it because of huge losses ,same with the youngsters total wipeout yet the majority of fanciers totally refuse to accept the real problem and come up with Micky mouse excuses ,Even heard a fancier state at the national dinner that Peregrine's were not a problem however he was drunk at the time ,Good luck to all and their theories which they are entitled to ,I in the meantime will stick to mine

Yours in Sport Michael Currie .t

The terror inflicted by peregrine attacks is probably THE major problem. It will also cause the demise of the small garden loft if left un-checked.

The members of the larger federations have it in their own hands to change things if they want. The likes of Lanarkshire could run a race from the south coast and convoy neighbouring federations at a lower birdage than the snfc. Why dont they do it?

Totally agree that is the way to go but why stop at 1 race the costs will soon push

Fanciers out of the game ,a lot of pensioners and low paid workers are struggling

To keep up with costs (including me ) I'm sure common sense will prevail ???.like

Your comments Peter.

My nose is bleeding just thinking about it George. I do however want to race distance, so at some time I shall have to decide apprenticeship over, learn the trade from the big boys. That time may be this year, but probably next due to delays in my home plans.

I know what Tam means though and I agree they have to be sent to the required distance to develop the loft potential. There will be losses on the way. Andy's 98% rule.

The sooner you race them over 200 the better

Too many molly coddle doos as tam richardson says there is a nose bleed at 200ml

Totally agree. I havent missed a race for at least 6 years, fed or national. I keep racing pigeons to race. If there was a race on and i had no birds away i would be climbing the walls. I race around 60-70 old birds and they all have around 6 or 7 races a season. I always end up with around half my old bird team left and the same for young birds. No substitute for experience.

Totally agree that is the way to go but why stop at 1 race the costs will soon push

Fanciers out of the game ,a lot of pensioners and low paid workers are struggling

To keep up with costs (including me ) I'm sure common sense will prevail ???.like

Your comments Peter.