Pmv Injection

just ask me

once only, as required, why do you vaccinate twice jam?

do them when weaning before they pick up any thing do them the second time to give a boost to the first one also like to use a different vaccine the second time seen pmv in lofts and i will do everything i can to prevent it there no 100% guarantee with these things even if the birds do face pmv they may not get it as bad and have your whole loft wiped out

its better then them contracting the disease and having to throw a bucket load of crap down there neck or even worse

also been recommended by many top flyer and vets ive been doing it for a while now

totally disagree a yearly dose means exactly what it says

I bet the ones that advised a double dose

are suppliers. if your advised

to take 2 aspirin you don't take 4 we give the suppliers

enough money.do it twice and it will suddenly become compulsory

by the powers that be.

totally disagree a yearly dose means exactly what it says

I bet the ones that advised a double dose

are suppliers. if your advised

to take 2 aspirin you don't take 4 we give the suppliers

enough money.do it twice and it will suddenly become compulsory

by the powers that be.

people like Ad Schaerlaeckens and plenty of others who have no vested interest in the company's recommend this many top flyers in the uk also do the same thing and im sure they have no shares etc in the company's

Guest geordiejen

ive never heard of this before.i see the point in using 2 different makes but would like to know why these people say do them twice?my understanding is we do them yearly because as we all should know the pigeons immune system disreguards anything thats not in the environment and can change what its up against throughout the year.ive also heard that birds can still get pmv even after they have been jagged and the 2 or 3 weeks transmission period is ove but these birds dont get the full horrible effects of the virus.has anyone had any experience of still getting the disease?would be good to hear about it.

I think you have to be careful here. If you don't do 'exactly as it says on the tin', then technically your birds haven't been vaccinated properly, and you cannot enter them in races or shows.

You start with the signed Declaration on your race sheet, wording goes something like 'I've vaccinated these birds in accordance with DEFRA instructions'. Instructions are found at:-

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/diseases/atoz/pigeons/

Under 'vaccination', DEFRA tells you that there are only 2 (inactivated) vaccines authorised for use in UK - these are Colombovac and Nobilis. If you don't use either of these, then your birds haven't been vaccinated in accordance with your Declaration, and you cannot enter them in races or shows.

DEFRA then tells you that the birds must be vaccinated in accordance with manufacturers instructions. If you don't do that, then your birds haven't been vaccinated in accordance with your Declaration, and you cannot enter them in races or shows.

Colombovac & Nobilis both provide leaflets with their vaccines which are the manufacturers instructions: amongst these it tells you to vaccinate once per year, and (Colombovac) 'No info is available on the safety and efficacy of this vaccine when used with any other veterinary medical product'. In other words, jag once a year & don't mix vaccines.

Always read the label every time, stick to what it says, and you cannot go wrong. If you don't then your birds haven't been vaccinated properly, and you cannot enter them in races or shows.

I think you have to be careful here. If you don't do 'exactly as it says on the tin', then technically your birds haven't been vaccinated properly, and you cannot enter them in races or shows.

You start with the signed Declaration on your race sheet, wording goes something like 'I've vaccinated these birds in accordance with DEFRA instructions'. Instructions are found at:-

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/diseases/atoz/pigeons/

Under 'vaccination', DEFRA tells you that there are only 2 (inactivated) vaccines authorised for use in UK - these are Colombovac and Nobilis. If you don't use either of these, then your birds haven't been vaccinated in accordance with your Declaration, and you cannot enter them in races or shows.

DEFRA then tells you that the birds must be vaccinated in accordance with manufacturers instructions. If you don't do that, then your birds haven't been vaccinated in accordance with your Declaration, and you cannot enter them in races or shows.

Colombovac & Nobilis both provide leaflets with their vaccines which are the manufacturers instructions: amongst these it tells you to vaccinate once per year, and (Colombovac) 'No info is available on the safety and efficacy of this vaccine when used with any other veterinary medical product'. In other words, jag once a year & don't mix vaccines.

Always read the label every time, stick to what it says, and you cannot go wrong. If you don't then your birds haven't been vaccinated properly, and you cannot enter them in races or shows.

i take from that info that would mean to me that the 2 vaccines cant be mixed in the one bottle and given which would only make common sense

also remember the vet that was on here saying that he would have no problem in injecting twice a year if the young were vaccinated early

i take from that info that would mean to me that the 2 vaccines cant be mixed in the one bottle and given which would only make common sense

No. It says 'used with', not 'mixed with'. Common sense & knowledge of your vaccines would tell you that they can't be mixed in the same bottle as one is oil-based, and the other is water-based.

also remember the vet that was on here saying that he would have no problem in injecting twice a year if the young were vaccinated early

I read on here of folk vaccinating while the youngster is in the nest. Leaflets tell you the minimum age - and why (maternal antibodies). Vaccinate too young, and the vaccine won't take, and your birds haven't been vaccinated against the disease.

We've had long discussions on 'vaccination' in general on here. If there are antibodies already there, these will inactivate the vaccine. PMV vaccine immunity only lasts a year, so it looks like there's no antibodies, or not enough left to interfere with an annual booster jag. But only 3 weeks after vaccination, there's bound to be antibodies there, so they will inactivate the second jag. At best, it's a pure waste of your money.

Uses

For the active immunisation of pigeons to prevent mortality and clinical signs due to paramyxovirus type 1 infection.

The onset of protection occurs one month after inoculation, the duration of protection is 12 months.

Dosage and administration

One dose (0.2ml) per pigeon.

The vaccine has to be administered by subcutaneous injection dorsally in the neck region (in the direction of the back). The vial has to be swirled several times before use.

Primary vaccination

1. Racing pigeons – All birds in the loft should be given one vaccination annually not less than 14 days before the beginning of the racing season. Young birds may be vaccinated with Colombovac PMV from 3 weeks of age when a single injection will provide immunity for 1 year. Following vaccination avoid contact with birds from other lofts for at least 14 days.

2. Show pigeons – All birds on the premises should be given one vaccination annually not less than 14 days before the beginning of the show season. Young birds may be vaccinated with Colombovac PMV from 3 weeks of age when a single injection will provide immunity for 1 year. Following vaccination, avoid contact with birds from other sources for at least 14 days.

Booster vaccination:

1. Racing pigeons - All adult birds in the loft should be given a single booster vaccination annually. Where the annual booster vaccination may interfere with the training or racing programme, it may be brought forward prior to the commencement of each racing season.

2. Show pigeons - All adult birds on the premises should be given a single booster vaccination annually.

Contra-indications, warnings, etc

FOR ANIMAL TREATMENT ONLY

Do not use in unhealthy pigeons.

Do not vaccinate during the last 2 weeks prior to mating.

Do not use in birds in lay or within 4 weeks before the onset of the laying period.

Vaccination is safe in breeding birds provided they are vaccinated before the start of breeding.

No information is available on the safety and efficacy from the concurrent use of this vaccine with any other. It is therefore recommended that no other vaccines should be administered within 14 days before or after vaccination with this product.

Do not mix with any other vaccine or immunological product.

Adverse Reactions:

Less than 1% of pigeons show adverse reactions in the form of a small transient swelling at the site of injection.

An overdose may result in an increase of the degree of local reactions.

If you notice any serious effects or other effects not mentioned in this leaflet, please inform your veterinary surgeon.

Special warnings:

Not for intramuscular injection: Intramuscular injection causes severe adverse reactions.

Maternally-derived antibody (MDA) can interfere with the development of active immunity. Where it is likely that recent field infection or vaccination of the parent flock has stimulated a high antibody titre and consequently a high level of MDA, the timing of the vaccination programme should be planned accordingly.

In cases of hypersensitivity reactions treat immediately with glucocorticoid intravenously or adrenaline intramuscularly.

The incubation period for pigeon paramyxovirosis may be a few days to several weeks. However, after infection with the wild virus, pigeons excrete the virus from the eye and in the droppings within 3-4 days. This means that infected birds can be a danger to others some days before their own symptoms appear. Excretion of wild virus from the infected bird continues for up to 6 weeks. This information is important since, in addition to direct bird to bird contact at competitions and shows, the disease can be spread by indirect means such as hands, overalls, caps, boots and contaminated objects such as baskets and trucks.

An owner should forbid visits to the loft by anyone in contact with unvaccinated pigeons and new birds (either purchased or lent for mating) should not be brought in unless vaccinated at least 14 days previously.

In case of accidental self-injection, seek medical advice immediately and show the package leaflet or the label to the physician.

Withdrawal period: Zero days.

Pharmaceutical precautions

Store and transport refrigerated (2°C to 8°C). Do not freeze. Protect from light.

Keep out of the reach and sight of children.

Use entire contents of vial once opened.

Do not use after the expiry date stated on the label.

the info given with with colombovac birds can be done at 3 weeks old which is weaning stage for me also says another vaccine can be given but not within 14 days

o information is available on the safety and efficacy from the concurrent use of this vaccine with any other. It is therefore recommended that no other vaccines should be administered within 14 days before or after vaccination with this product.

Do not mix with any other vaccine or immunological product.

most vets now all over Europe practice vaccinating young birds twice once at weaning and another before racing

even david the vet on here says on here http://forum.pigeonbasics.org/topic/40992-vaccinate-dead-or-live/page__st__20

That maybe so but its going against what the manufacturers tell you what to do,so who is best to take advise from.

That maybe so but its going against what the manufacturers tell you what to do,so who is best to take advise from.

It is therefore recommended that no other vaccines should be administered within 14 days before or after vaccination with this product.

i take this as been 14 days that you cant use another vaccine i leave a few months so there should not be a problem

It is therefore recommended that no other vaccines should be administered within 14 days before or after vaccination with this product.

i take this as been 14 days that you cant use another vaccine i leave a few months so there should not be a problem

It also says The duration of protection is 12 months,so why go against the manufacturers recommendation and inject again, I have also read that many do but why go against the people who make the stuff,doesnt matter if any vet says different I believe Defra says you should follow the manufacturers recommendations.Wonder what would happen if something went wrong and it came to light that you hadnt taken notice of what they say.

It also says The duration of protection is 12 months,so why go against the manufacturers recommendation and inject again, I have also read that many do but why go against the people who make the stuff,doesnt matter if any vet says different I believe Defra says you should follow the manufacturers recommendations.Wonder what would happen if something went wrong and it came to light that you hadnt taken notice of what they say.

manufacturer instructions says 14 days about other vaccines

think ill leave this discussion as its only going around in circles :emoticon-0136-giggle:

also most one loft races in the uk must be breaking the rules as they sipulate that you must vaccinate the young birds for them to do it again i dont see defra knocking there door down :emoticon-0138-thinking:

think the rpra one loft race you have to do them 7 days before you sent the birds and they will do them again