Ventilation In Lofts

THE FIFER

mine is a flat roof with thr low to the front and high at the back, this is how lofts were made going back a bit,so the warm air rises to the back, and i have a vent full length on the loft at the top back, and low vents front bottom, I often wonder now when you see lofts higher in the front how does air circulate,

mine is a flat roof with thr low to the front and high at the back, this is how lofts were made going back a bit,so the warm air rises to the back, and i have a vent full length on the loft at the top back, and low vents front bottom, I often wonder now when you see lofts higher in the front how does air circulate,

thats a good point ,but we know winners are being timed into all styles of loft , both what we would consider good and bad design ??

there are extractor fans out there for pigeon lofts and a lot of people even use the fans that you get in your bathroom

even on a windless day a chimney works and doesn't require any form of power so to me it's the perfect solution to ventilation / changing of stale air :)

Last hand built loft by me was same high at back lower at front for same reasons , plus could get 5 boxes in at back and could also see all birds or any cats if on roof :)

Thats the same as mine Archie, plus you can always see what is on the roof at any time.

• 1 month later...

since i fitted my new ventilation system in the birds look top hole and i wouldnt change it,in each loft i have 4 sections each fitted with an extraction system with a suction fan at each end plus at each end i also have a rotating fan.my loft is a pan tiled one but even if you have a pent roof you can still put one in with a few adjustments.i got all the things i needed from a hydroponics shop not cheap but it certainly does the job

I have peaked roof with profile sheets, plenty ventilation wat ever way wind comes. couple clear sheets plenty light. cats cant climb on it, no grip, you also get fillers for profile sheets so can be adjusted to suit, smoke bombs to test it, PERFECT.

the problem ive found with clear profile sheets is when we have frost then the weather changes it creates very bad condensation

I am a great believer in plenty of fresh air for my pigeons and my chickens. My lofts are built on the Red Rose Loft design and I have added a flap to take the crates every 4 foot along the front of the loft at floor level. There is a 4" gap all along the apex of the loft which means that the air belts through the loft at all times. I have a sloping aviary all along the front of the loft with a wire mesh floor. This serves as a trap and the birds can bathe in safety without making a mess inside the loft. The flaps are used to crate the birds so that I never have to catch them inside the loft and the youngsters are forced to drink from hang on drinkers which are fixed to the outside of the crates. The benefit of the drinker idea is that the youngsters are totally at ease with drinking in the crates which is a major advantage when they are in the race baskets. The fact that I do not catch pigeons inside the loft allows the birds to build up confidence in me which helps me to see what is going on without them charging about scared or making a nuisance of themselves by continually trying to land on me.

mines L shape loft now that i built so was a bit hard as i found the section in the cornor didnt real get a lot of fresh air to it but solved that now added vents under the boxs in all sections and have vents along the front of the load but also have mess fronts so if i take down the perpesx more ait can come in but tbh i carnt smell pigeon but im thinking of adding 2 chimney just to help out some more :D but i think i did ok for my first loft build