Motivation Ways,

THE FIFER

How do you Motivate your birds for Different flying methods and distances, young and old birds,

Your question reminded me of a mealy cock I had who had never won a ticket no matter what I tried. Imagine my surprise one day when he arrived to win the club and a good fed position, he was by this time 4 years old and I honestly can,t think why he was still in the loft. that night while thinking this over I recalled arriving late from work and hurrying down to the loft to find a stray which I removed then proceeded to basket the birds, had he been annoyed at a stray near his nest box I wondered? This all happened a few weeks before our Fed race from Avaranches some 520 mls. On the day of basketing for Avranches I borrowed a rather aggressive cock from a club member and locked him in the mealy,s nest box when the mealy returned from a short spin around the loft he was beside himself with rage at this cock daring to be in his box, I slowly let the mealy enter the box but kept my hand between the two birds so as not to have any injuries this was done again prior to basketing for the race.

I should add that this certainly worked for that mealy who was normally very mild mannered as he scored 11th Open Fife fed in that particular race 1975 and again the next year in a very hard National with very few in the fed the thing to remember if trying this is the temperament of your bird and not to use the same stranger twice.

Your question reminded me of a mealy cock I had who had never won a ticket no matter what I tried. Imagine my surprise one day when he arrived to win the club and a good fed position, he was by this time 4 years old and I honestly can,t think why he was still in the loft. that night while thinking this over I recalled arriving late from work and hurrying down to the loft to find a stray which I removed then proceeded to basket the birds, had he been annoyed at a stray near his nest box I wondered? This all happened a few weeks before our Fed race from Avaranches some 520 mls. On the day of basketing for Avranches I borrowed a rather aggressive cock from a club member and locked him in the mealy,s nest box when the mealy returned from a short spin around the loft he was beside himself with rage at this cock daring to be in his box, I slowly let the mealy enter the box but kept my hand between the two birds so as not to have any injuries this was done again prior to basketing for the race.

I should add that this certainly worked for that mealy who was normally very mild mannered as he scored 11th Open Fife fed in that particular race 1975 and again the next year in a very hard National with very few in the fed the thing to remember if trying this is the temperament of your bird and not to use the same stranger twice.

A top sprint man in London does something very similar. He has three sections, two sections with v perches and a middle compartment with ten widowhood boxes. This man is the elite if he isn't fed champion every year he is always the runner up. What he does is have 10 cocks each in these v perch sections. 1 cock from each sections gets paired at a time. So basically saying 2 cocks are eventually paired up with one hen. These cocks are let out and got in separately in there own sections apart from a Friday evening, when they all trap in the breeding section and the hens are in the bowls, both cocks believe that that nest box is his domain, they also believe that they have rights to the hen. He does a few changes ect, but on return from the race the cock that came first is the only one that can spend time with the hen, while the other cock watches, the other cock seems to never be that far behind his opposing cock again

Guest Tooshy Boy

I HAVE TRYED THE MIRROR IN THE NEST BOX . BEFORE YOU BASKET FRIDAY NIGHT PUT A MIRROR IN NEST BOX THE BIRD WILL GO MENTAL ATTACING THE MIRROR WITH ITS WING . :animatedpigeons::emoticon-0167-beer:

• 2 months later...

old birds with distance racing in mind,pair 2 hens to one cock,cock stays at home.you can do this without any flights being dropped.pair up the one hen that you want youngsters from let them rear the nest then part them,after 2 weeks introduce the second hen when she has laid dont let them sit the eggs for no longer than 10 days,jobs a good en :smiley:

• 5 months later...

i heard when you say that to them they all jump in the pail of water volantery archie :emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

http://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0136-giggle.gifhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0136-giggle.gifhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I just found out tonight that I am the highest prize winner in the Club by a margin. Bearing in mind that I do not compete in channel races in either Young birds or Old birds I reckon that I have done pretty well. And as in many Clubs today I am competing against people who send anything up to 100 pigeons in a race. I don't mind personally but I think these mob flyers ruin the Clubs because some of the small Fanciers are very intimidated by it. I do not use motivation at all. My birds are flown celibate for old birds and semi widowhood for young birds.

As far as I am concerned many of these stories about motivation are just nonsense. The trick is to get the birds very fit and train them so that they follow the line of flight and trap quickly without messing about. I have 15 cocks and I will be adding 12 young cocks to the team. All of the 15 have won at least 6th Fed and most of my young cocks have scored. The young cocks that have not scored are being kept because I think they are capable of winning as yearlings.

If I thought for one second that any form of motivation would work I would definately be doing it. Meanwhile I will leave the motivation stuff in the same place as the eyesign and the form spot together with the balanced pigeon theory and get on with my main job of clocking winners.

well done Qwen http://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0137-clapping.gifhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0137-clapping.gifhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0137-clapping.gifhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0137-clapping.gifhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0137-clapping.gif

I just found out tonight that I am the highest prize winner in the Club by a margin. Bearing in mind that I do not compete in channel races in either Young birds or Old birds I reckon that I have done pretty well. And as in many Clubs today I am competing against people who send anything up to 100 pigeons in a race. I don't mind personally but I think these mob flyers ruin the Clubs because some of the small Fanciers are very intimidated by it. I do not use motivation at all. My birds are flown celibate for old birds and semi widowhood for young birds.

As far as I am concerned many of these stories about motivation are just nonsense. The trick is to get the birds very fit and train them so that they follow the line of flight and trap quickly without messing about. I have 15 cocks and I will be adding 12 young cocks to the team. All of the 15 have won at least 6th Fed and most of my young cocks have scored. The young cocks that have not scored are being kept because I think they are capable of winning as yearlings.

If I thought for one second that any form of motivation would work I would definately be doing it. Meanwhile I will leave the motivation stuff in the same place as the eyesign and the form spot together with the balanced pigeon theory and get on with my main job of clocking winners.

Hi Owen, just out of curiosity, do you race your hens and if so do you get bother with them pairing to each other?

well done owen , by looking at your post now i would say you race up to 200 miles only as you dont fly channel and just go to coast , i think motivation is a must to squeeze that bit extra from birds like a small young un in nest maby first of season to give a bird that we bit of exstra insentive to go that extra hour in a 14 hour race ,without somthing to race home for i think a lot would chuck it at 10 and 12 hrs

i find the less i do with my widowhood cocks the better they fly so i tend not to do much these days

is widowhood not a form of motivation :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer: and do you not show hens on return :emoticon-0167-beer:

is widowhood not a form of motivation :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer: and do you not show hens on return :emoticon-0167-beer:

true stb but that as you know is what the system is about others try lots of other tricks or ways to motivate there cocks i have found it makes no difference at all so i dont bother anymore

i keep things very simple tbh the simpler its kept i feel the birds are more happier

if there not good enough there noting you can do

one of the things i do look for when selecting racers for stock apart from results of course which is the first requirement for me the other thing i look for in both hens and cocks is that they defend there box or perch with aggression i feel that it passed down though the parents it may well be a form of self motivation that i select around birds that are territorial of there box :emoticon-0138-thinking:

true stb but that as you know is what the system is about others try lots of other tricks or ways to motivate there cocks i have found it makes no difference at all so i dont bother anymore

i keep things very simple tbh the simpler its kept i feel the birds are more happier

if there not good enough there noting you can do

one of the things i do look for when selecting racers for stock apart from results of course which is the first requirement for me the other thing i look for in both hens and cocks is that they defend there box or perch with aggression i feel that it passed down though the parents it may well be a form of self motivation that i select around birds that are territorial of there box :emoticon-0138-thinking:

yip if there not good enough they wont win nowt , if you observe your birds well widowhood nat or whatever you will notice the birds hitting form taking note of what helped this and replicating it in itself is motivation :emoticon-0167-beer:

yip if there not good enough they wont win nowt , if you observe your birds well widowhood nat or whatever you will notice the birds hitting form taking note of what helped this and replicating it in itself is motivation :emoticon-0167-beer:

true stb easier then done though what ever puts a bird in to form is hard to put your finger on lol

john quinn

no I don't race hens. To be honest, and I don't know why, I just don't get on with hens. Even my young hens are no where as good as the cocks with the odd exception.

My cocks are raced on a sort of celibate system and I never use the hens as motivation. One of these days I will try the hens but right now I am very happy with the cock's performances.

The one problem I sometimes get is when cocks want to become homosexuals but I solve this by shutting them in different sections of the loft. If it were,nt for the fact that they spoil the other birds from exercising I doubt if I would bother.

I had a pair of cocks like this and they were only average when racing, until 1 was lost. The other went on to gain a low place in our final race, but was my timer. He has now taken a hen, so should race normally next year hopefully. Couldn't get him to take a hen when the other cock was there.