Hawk Attacks Dog

St Finnan Loft

A pet poodle suffered a serious eye injury and had part of its tongue ripped out by a domesticated bird of prey,the dogs owner Ethne Brown a 57 year old woman was walking her dog in a park in Broomridge Stirling when the bird made several strikes the birds owner believed to live in Alloa has paid the vets bills and sent flowers to Mrs Brown who said I'm sure people must be concerned that people can keep these birds as pets and hunt in areas where there are people out walking the bird had no fear of me, there are lots of elderly who might have died if they had an experience like this . T hats not to mention the danger to young children many of whom wear wee fluffy hats which could make them look like a rabbit to a bird of prey.Owning one of these birds is as bad as having a dangerous dog They could fly into a garden and attack small children or pets.Mrs Browns husband Ian said The Bird attacked Buddy but then came back to attack a further three times Central Scotland police described the incident as extremely distressing.

taken from The Daily Express 19/1/12

Never really gave it a thought before this post, but what about these wooly hats with 'sticky-up' ears that's the fashion amongst younger folk just now? Looks right stupid to me, but what does it look like to an animal or a bird of prey?

Guest bluemorning

this bird is a imprint sounds like eagle type bird to attack a dog,and small dogs will come into there range as prey,imprints have no fear of humans because they think they are one.can be dangerous in the wrong hands as this instance shows.anyone who flys a big imprint bop where people walk small dogs is a idiot. a large wild bop what could take a small dog would not attack as it has a natural fear of humans and would keep its distance.the person wants taking to a small claims court and should be banned from flying the bird near public places.read the article in bhw birds of prey have been bred by ai for years,

I have taken this from a site where a lad tells his pal about a problem ref imprint Harris hawk.

Problems I have heard of from folks here in the states that tried it is that they become territorial and will attack others(humans) One guy had his bird fly off a 1/2 mile and nail a young girl off a bicycle. The bird was put too sleep.

A Harris hawk imprint in this district Crossgates was reported to the RSPB who took no action a few weeks later when again phoned said,its obviously managing to survive in the wild don,t worry about it.

Guest bluemorning

The report I read stated it was a Harris Hawk.

in the states you cannot fly a bird that is non indiguos without it being an imprint this is to ensure that it dose not bred and cause hybreds.a friend of mine flew a imprint harris and it had a go at a lab it was just trying to foot the dog as harris hawks hate dogs.but it took a fur hat of a lady golfers head took it into a tree where it tore it apart to find a meal.but you find most harris hawks are creche reared in batches 3 or more which makes them recognise there own type and will breed and also mkes them easier to train but they can be very vocal.the reason people creche rear is they egg pull as soon as the female lays a egg it is removed so she keeps laying you may get 5 or 6 eggs this way then into an incubator and hence hand reared.but this attack dose not sound like a harris to me it sounds a bigger bird.

I feel sorry for the dog and it's owner but what happened to the opinion that we should breed and release Eagle Owls surely they would do the same if not worse as they are very teritorial and what about seagulls they attack people and animals more that any other bird

Guest bluemorning

This weekend saw 2 percies near my new loft also driving home today about 4 ish I saw a large bop not sure what it was but it looked lost and had a like a metre long rope of some sort hanging from it was thinking maybe its got away from its handler

this bird will have untied its leash from perch,and thats whats trailing and unless found quickly will become tangled on branches and hang upside down and die.this should never happen,it should not be left tied to a bow outside without the falconer keeping a eye on it.when tied to a bow a double falconers knot should be used to help avoid this,but seen plenty of people just tie one knot again its not the birds fault its the falconers.

Guest bluemorning

:emoticon-0136-giggle::emoticon-0136-giggle::emoticon-0136-giggle: HERES HOPE IT IS HANGING UPSIDE DOWN SOME WHERE IT WILL MAKE BE MORE CAREFULL NEXT TIME.///

shame on you tooshy boy,its prob a harris or redtail harmless to pigeons,but in falconry and racing pigeons they will be more bad handlers than bad birds,and many a pigeon man will have made bad mistakes but wont admit it.