Hen Off Her Legs?

Shortcut Lofts

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After posting this topic and considering all the good advice that was given i decided to move the hen into the Yb section on her own and after 1 week without any tablets or suppliments she is back in her box on the top row. I can only put it down to the hen hitting the nerve while laying as previously stated. Thanks guys.

Guest QUIETMAN

hi, EAMON, its a MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY,you can get the OLD HAND PRODUCT its a double pack of

MAGNESSIUM AND KELP TABLETS,the brown ones the kelp or iodine.TWO DAYS EAMON andyou will be

suprised,used them myself a few times after the hen has laid. (DONT KILL THE HEN)

THANK YOU QUIET MAN. (the tablets are called ELEMENTALS)

Calcium tabs ,I always have them ,just incase.One down her throat she'll be up on the perch next day.If you were giving her grit when you took her away from her cock that would do the trick ,but as you said it took a week.I've also had a cock go off his legs ? same treatment,one tab.

Lindsay

Calcium tabs ,I always have them ,just incase.One down her throat she'll be up on the perch next day.If you were giving her grit when you took her away from her cock that would do the trick ,but as you said it took a week.I've also had a cock go off his legs ? same treatment,one tab.

Lindsay

I think having a cock bird go down as well makes the lack of calcium theory highly dubious, I'm sure we all supply grit

this seems to be happing to a lot of members on here

possibly with the cold weather weve had this year

members have been giving thier birds a bit extra feed

and the hens are a bit fatter than normal at this time of year

thus causing more problems than usual

jmo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest m.bollington

i have a 2005 hen she laid her 1st egg yesterday and when i went in the loft today she has gone off her legs she looks in perfect health and is eating and drinking fine she is in her box but cannot walk i rang 2 local fanciers and they said that they have had the same problem in previous years and the bird should be ok in a day or 2 has any1 else ever had this problem? :huh::huh:

Guest m.bollington

just put some black minerals in the box for her will see how she is in an hour would it be a good idea to buy some calcium tablets to put in the water?