Old Bob Mc Donald Strain

fits

Hi,

does anyone know what strains of pigeons are contained in the old Bob Mc Donald strain of pigeons (not the Jan Ardans)as i have one of his pigeons (Red cock) and when i was enquiring of purchasing a hen to pair to it the fancier how had Jan Ardens said it may be one of Bob's old strains with it being a Red and not a Jan Arden?

Regards

Dave

Hi,

does anyone know what strains of pigeons are contained in the old Bob Mc Donald strain of pigeons (not the Jan Ardans)as i have one of his pigeons (Red cock) and when i was enquiring of purchasing a hen to pair to it the fancier how had Jan Ardens said it may be one of Bob's old strains with it being a Red and not a Jan Arden?

Regards

Dave

i was just speaking to bob about a hour ago phone him he will tell you anything you want to know hes a proper gentleman

I bought a jan aarden cock from Bobs sale in Blackpool, I think it was around 2006? and it stipulated on the sale pen that the bird was jan aarden and not ko-nipius. This cock is breeding me good pigeons and has a tendancy to breed some ybs with feathered legs & feet like the old gits strain.

bob never had the jan aardens he was the first fancier to introduce the ko nipius to these shores

they are jan ardens ok make no mistake aboot that yes he got them from ko nipuis who was either jan ardens loft manager or close friend nipuis had other strains but bob only wanted the ardens he was the first to introduce these to these shores thats the facts

well into his 80s and still tops the fed from the last 2 races a great fancier and nice guy

they are jan ardens ok make no mistake aboot that yes he got them from ko nipuis who was either jan ardens loft manager or close friend nipuis had other strains but bob only wanted the ardens he was the first to introduce these to these shores thats the facts

well into his 80s and still tops the fed from the last 2 races a great fancier and nice guy

I agree entirely with this comment.

Any fancier interested in improving their stock should think about introducing some of these.

I agree entirely with this comment.

Any fancier interested in improving their stock should think about introducing some of these.

IN MY OPINION BOB IS PROBALLY THE BEST FANCIER PAST OR PRESENT NOT TO HAVE WON A NATIONAL HIS KNOWLODGE IS SECOUND TO NONE AND HE IS A GREAT SELECTER

then why when he was selling them in the 70's did he advertise them as ko nipius and not jan aardens and he did advertise them cos my father was one of the first to buy them off him and travelled up to bobs in fraserburgh from central scotland,these birds my father bought were eventually sold onto ireland where fanciers couldn't get enough of them mr and mrs kippax were another who sold them as ko nipius

then why when he was selling them in the 70's did he advertise them as ko nipius and not jan aardens and he did advertise them cos my father was one of the first to buy them off him and travelled up to bobs in fraserburgh from central scotland,these birds my father bought were eventually sold onto ireland where fanciers couldn't get enough of them mr and mrs kippax were another who sold them as ko nipius

because thats where they come from he also refered to them as the dutch ins as i said nipius had other familys bob only wanted the best distance doos and thats what he got jan ardens

go and look at them then look at the ardens and van geels bobs are like peas in a pod

Hi,

i have been looking into this on the internet and i have found a loft report (See Link below) http://www.pigeonnetwork.com/admin/keith_mott/otr/drone.cfm?ID=613

which confirms the two strains kept by Bob Ko Nipius pigeons 1965 That are Jan Aarden based and she quote below

"Two families of pigeons are kept, one of which goes back to 1947 and is still winning today. He purchased the Old Crippled Cock from the late James Mill in 1956 and this family has filled the loft with winners 'for many years, including only bird on the day from 600 miles." by Eric Yule of Aberdeen.

Any one know anything about the Old Crippled Cock from the late James Mill

Regards

Dave

Guest Hjaltland

I think I am correct in saying that Bob also had reds from Peter Titmus of Wheathampstead (sp ?)

I had birds from Bob about twenty years ago.. they were Jan Aarden; Nipius; Jimmy Milne of Torry and what he called his own stock which included the above. The ones which did best for me were not the pieds - but the dark cheqs. These were the basis of my birds which have flown from Morpeth into Shetland and have done well for me locally

Thanks for the information. Its interesting, i have 5 dark cheqs and cheqs which Bob bread for me but as i said ealier on the thread the Red cock which was reported hawked at Whitby from a race and given to me is differant to all the others as well its colour. The Red cock is definatly a distance bird as he bread my yearling hen which returned from a hard race from Bourges 542 mile this year.

Regards

Dave

Guest JonesyBhoy

i dont think so . have you ever visited bob he has a lot of doos but nothing like 140 pair of stock doos

never visited mate.. it says that on the loft report link that someone put up..

I don't want to put a damper on this thread - and certainly not on Bob McDonald,- but the Ko nipius birds are not every ones cup of tea.

I bought a gay pied cock off the late Bob Scrivener - it was from the Ken Kippax lines. His pedigree said that he raced Barcelona as a yearling. I then bought a hen from Bob McDonald to go with it (he was extremely helpful and gave me a hand written pedigree to go with this hen).

But mine isn't a story of happy ending I'm afraid because I couldn't keep anything out of this pair beyond the yearling stage. I stuck with them for several years mainly because I bought the pair to encourage my son but found them to be completely unreliable - probably my poor management or inexperience but I finally decided to get rid of them last year.

I now have the old Van Hee lines and find it hard to lose them.

-Just my story

D.D.

I don't want to put a damper on this thread - and certainly not on Bob McDonald,- but the Ko nipius birds are not every ones cup of tea.

I bought a gay pied cock off the late Bob Scrivener - it was from the Ken Kippax lines. His pedigree said that he raced Barcelona as a yearling. I then bought a hen from Bob McDonald to go with it (he was extremely helpful and gave me a hand written pedigree to go with this hen).

But mine isn't a story of happy ending I'm afraid because I couldn't keep anything out of this pair beyond the yearling stage. I stuck with them for several years mainly because I bought the pair to encourage my son but found them to be completely unreliable - probably my poor management or inexperience but I finally decided to get rid of them last year.

I now have the old Van Hee lines and find it hard to lose them.

-Just my story

D.D.

Think most fanciers will have the same story regarding different families/strains some families just don`t suit some fanciers management, I had it with the SVR I had them from all the best lines yet never got one as far as 100 miles put it down to me and not the birds or their breeders

Hi Hjaltland do you know what strains made up Peter Titmus of Wheathampstead pigeons? I can find some information Peter Titmus but i can't find anything on the foundation of his pigeon only that they were long distance birds

Regards

Dave

Guest Hjaltland

Dave.. Sorry I know absolutely nowt about the Titmus birds... I can tell you that the red I had was a medium sized, really nice handling bird, a distance type. I bred off the all the birds Bob gave me and all went in the basket... what I was left with after a few years were Dark cheqs... really nice handlers with great feathering. Amongst the originals were some birds down from Jimmy Milne of Torry & cripple cock lines.

I have crossed over the years with Van Hee, Stichelbauts and Jansens as well as Van Denabeeles and Herbert MacKenzie of Orkney this last couple of years. The Jansen cross has proved to be a stayer so the basis of the bulk of my (few) birds is this Bob MacD Jansen cross.

bob never had the jan aardens he was the first fancier to introduce the ko nipius to these shores

I certainly vividly remember Bob MacDonald advertising in the RP 'Jan Aardens' back in 1990 (ish)

Hi,

i have been looking into this on the internet and i have found a loft report (See Link below) http://www.pigeonnetwork.com/admin/keith_mott/otr/drone.cfm?ID=613

which confirms the two strains kept by Bob Ko Nipius pigeons 1965 That are Jan Aarden based and she quote below

"Two families of pigeons are kept, one of which goes back to 1947 and is still winning today. He purchased the Old Crippled Cock from the late James Mill in 1956 and this family has filled the loft with winners 'for many years, including only bird on the day from 600 miles." by Eric Yule of Aberdeen.

Any one know anything about the Old Crippled Cock from the late James Mill

Regards

Dave