Hawks

celtic

just one mention on a health risk for sparrowhawks , they are very successable to canker ??????  through eating meat from pigeons with this desease .

very interesting one of the "yellow flashers"   think that was on the other post ;D ;D,,,,but could well be something in this ,,who knows untill its tried :)

;D well i for one have taken note of this Jimmy , as long as i can out run/cycle the local council  ;D ill have a couple ready for next year  ;D ;D   andy

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a hawk comes into our area for any reason then how do "WE" know its not a captive bird thats escaped. We may be helping the RSPB eliminating captive/released birds like the EAGLE OWL  in Yorshire :-/

yes ,, ie if i had a captive perigrine and proper licence to own it,,,it escapes ,, and i said to you ,,thats my perigrine try and wound it and bring it down ,,as it wont survive in the wild ,,and you did mistakenly shoot it dead,,,, you could  be find about £5,000,,  as i said b4 the rspb are a rule unto themselves ,,,crazy :-/

yes ,, ie if i had a captive perigrine and proper licence to own it,,,it escapes ,, and i said to you ,,thats my perigrine try and wound it and bring it down ,,as it wont survive in the wild ,,and you did mistakenly shoot it dead,,,, you could  be find about £5,000,,  as i said b4 the rspb are a rule unto themselves ,,,crazy :-/

OK fair doos, but if you see a hawk in your area and are concerned that it's an escaped one from a non licence holder and you wound it  :-/

I FIND IT VERY INTRESTING ABOUT PEOPLE SUGGESTING TO LET EAGLE OWLS GO FREE ,

SADLY THE WRONG THING TO DO ,THESE BIRDS ARE VERY DANGEROUS AND TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN ,THESE WILL ATTACK ANYBODY GIVEN THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES ,NESTING NEEDING FOOD THEY WILL ATTACK ANY OLD LADY/MAN WALKING A DOG IF THEY NEED FOOD,

PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK THE EAGLE OWLS IN THE PROGRAMME WHERE OF FOREIGN BIRDS .THESE BIRDS WHERE CAPTIVE BRED RELEASED BIRDS WHICH THE POST-MORTEM SHOWED .I AGREE I FIND IT VERY SAD THAT SOME IDIOT SHOT THE FEMALE ,HAVING PERSONALLY STUDIED THESE BIRDS FOR YEARS

HAVING BEEN THE KEEPER OF EAGLE OWLS FOR OVER TWENTY YEARS ,I CAN ASSURE YOU ,YOU WOULDNT WANT ONE OF THESE SAT ON YOUR PIGEON LOFT.OR FLYING AT YOU TO ATTACK YOUR DOG

MY LOFT ALSO COMES UNDER ATTACK FROM SPARROWHAWKS ON A REGULAR BASIS ,IVE TRIED USING MY EAGLE OWL SAT IN MY GARDEN WHILST EXERCISING MY PIGEONS ,YES THE SPARROWHAWK SEES THE EAGLE OWL BUT DOES NOT DETERE THE SPARROWHAWK KILLING OTHER BIRDS LIKE SPARROWS STARLINGS ETC.

YES THE POPULATION IN BRITAIN IS GETTING MORE EAGLE OWLS OUT THERE ,BUT THESE ARE NOT VISITING BRITAIN THERE RELEASED BY IRRESPONSIBLE PEOPLE WHO NORMALLY BUY THEIR KIDS ONE AND DONT REALISE THEY HAVE GOT A KILLING MACHINE ON THEIR HANDS UNTILL ITS TO LATE THEN THEY THINK I KNOW LETS RELEASE IT CAUSING CHAOS . 8)

eagle owl just out of interest where do you race from n what motivatition techniques do you use ????????

WELL I THINK EVERY PIGEONMAN IN ENGLAND SHOULD INVEST IN A EAGLE OWL

RELEASE IT AND AS YOU CLAIM  ATTACK ANY OLD LADY/MAN  AND YES I WOULD WNT ONE SAT ON MY LOFT AT LEAST THEN IT WOULD MAKE A CHANGE FROM BSTRDA SPAROWHAWKS , OH AND ICIDENTLY DO OAPS ONLY WALK DOGS????????????????

hi eagle owl, how long have you been a member of the RSPB ? i only ask cos us poor fkers have been getting crippled by the (so called small raptor population) for the last 25 years.

as well as the song bird population which has been decimated alledgegly.

my self personally would urge all pigeon fanciers nationwide to support the re introduction of a native species(EAGLE OWL ) which is top of the food chain that eats sparrow hawks, and most other falcons especially the perigine(but if it predates on the ofspraye etc ,etc,) it matters not untill sutch time as the RSPB would like to sit down and talk sensibly with the pigeon fratternity and resolve the conflict or issues between us and them.

so untill then we should all fund the re introduction of a once native species to readdress the balance of power in the bird world.

jimmy.

Yes it ia legal to own an Eagle Owl. Yes one did apparently fly at a dog.... so what! They are basically just a Owl and perfer the peace and quiet of the country side. Yes I do know some that have them. Fox hunting brigade for instance - I am not a fan of ox hunting, nor nec anti - and Eagles Indian birds of prey are use here regular.

I believe Eagle Owl is a RSPB sypathsizer ot best, or even high in that chain.

eagleowl (rspb)

running scared

the eagle owl would only attack a human that was going near its nest true it would take a rabbit,fox rat allsorts of hawks maybe then the sparrow could come off the red endangered list

this is our only chance to save the pigeon game anybody no where i could buy one let me know with a pm of course

Think Eagle Owl's reference to attacking a dog comes from incidents in the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire where dog walkers were harassed by a pair of eagle owls. The path passed close to the nest and steps were taken by the local authorities to warn people and that part of the path was closed.

Funny Eagle Owl's reference on attacking dogs didn't include the Harris hawk attack on a lady walking her dog in an Aberdeen hospital's grounds a couple of years back? Certainly made TV and National Press up here.

Main difference here was that one bird was defending its nest while the other, even under the control of an expert handler, simply fancied a taste of the dog.

So which of these two bird species don't you want to see in your back garden?

eagleowl (rspb)

running scared

the eagle owl would only attack a human that was going near its nest true it would take a rabbit,fox rat allsorts of hawks maybe then the sparrow could come off the red endangered list

this is our only chance to save the pigeon game anybody no where i could buy one let me know with a pm of course

totally agree with you, if we all bought one and released it, it might do away with percy-dont suppose this will happen though-when you ask people to dip in to their pockets they dont want to know.

totally agree with you, if we all bought one and released it, it might do away with percy-dont suppose this will happen though-when you ask people to dip in to their pockets they dont want to know.

Well if they did they'd probably each have to cough up another £5000 in court. What is being proposed is illegal, so the idea is a non-starter.

Have always felt if you meddle with Nature - and I'm talking about 'RSPB Hawk Rei-introduction Policy' - She will end up biting your ass.  Or in this case nipping your 'majestic top predator' crap in the bud, when the real top predator suddenly makes an appearance, likes the territory, and decides its staying.

hi again firstly i am certainly no member of the rspb secondly i have flown pigeons for thirty years. having had pigeons all my life ,i live breath sleep pigeons , yes as for harris hawks attacking dogs yes i also have two who dislike dogs and will attack dogs .

please dont make assumptions that im a rspb you couldnt be more from the truth .yes i love all birds but i do not agree with their policy about many things same as im not a great lover of the rspca,

but for people to say eagle owls will not do you any damage is living on a cloud.and for the person who mentioned the eagle owl fox hunting what they maybe do not know is the idiot with the eagle owl fox hunting let the owl go only to be pulled to bits by the pack of dogs real clever that was.

all im saying is for people to say lets let eagle owls go into the wild is in my opinion stupid ,once a eagle owl locks on it will not let go.

and as for racing pigeons yes im not like most i only race eight w-hood cocks and onlybreed twenty young birds a season .and believe me i look after my pigeons as any fellow club member of mine will tell you ,

Be that as it may Eagle Owl ... the huntnear here has had no problem with dogds attacking their bird... used to catch a cornered fox... not that simple so is inaffected and not worth a mention. The owl with plenty of food in the sticks will certainly not be interested in being near populated locations. Further I have no time whatsoever for the RSPCA whom only ever show with a collection tin afdter a story in the News.

roland all im saying having had eagle owls for years is there very dangerous to the uneducated person ,i have studied them owned them and not matter how long you have a eagle owl you cannot trust them 100%.

the times i have been asked by people to remove a eagle owl from some idiots shed because it as attacked them is unreal ,bloody harry potter every one became a owl expert over night ,

imagine a child trying to pick up a injured eagle owl or trying to stroke one ,they wouldnt stand a chance ,a eagle owl is not affraid of humans ,yes they will live in highly populated areas if theres food,

having had birds of prey for over twenty years i wouldnt class myself as a expert same as racing pigeons for over thirty years i wouldnt say i was a expert,and i certainly wouldnt fly my hawks in a park where they possibly could come across people walking dogs

roland all im saying having had eagle owls for years is there very dangerous to the uneducated person ,i have studied them owned them and not matter how long you have a eagle owl you cannot trust them 100%.

the times i have been asked by people to remove a eagle owl from some idiots shed because it as attacked them is unreal ,bloody harry potter every one became a owl expert over night ,

imagine a child trying to pick up a injured eagle owl or trying to stroke one ,they wouldnt stand a chance ,a eagle owl is not affraid of humans ,yes they will live in highly populated areas if theres food,

having had birds of prey for over twenty years i wouldnt class myself as a expert same as racing pigeons for over thirty years i wouldnt say i was a expert,and i certainly wouldnt fly my hawks in a park where they possibly could come across people walking dogs

what do you do with any unwanted eagle owls .

harky mostly are trained by myself and  rehomed sadly some are humainly destroyed by a vet, the trouble is same as some  pigeon fanciers the breed them and sell them for pennies to uneducated people making a quick buck.

to look after eagle owls is a long comitment as these can live twenty years or more some have been reported to live untill sixty years in captivity .

the film harry potter saw the rise in sales of many captive bred owls ,which sadly became neglected injured and sadly destroyed

harky mostly are trained by myself and  rehomed sadly some are humainly destroyed by a vet, the trouble is same as some  pigeon fanciers the breed them and sell them for pennies to uneducated people making a quick buck.

to look after eagle owls is a long comitment as these can live twenty years or more some have been reported to live untill sixty years in captivity .

the film harry potter saw the rise in sales of many captive bred owls ,which sadly became neglected injured and sadly destroyed

is there not a sanctuary for these unwanted birds to go instead of putting them down sounds a waste to me. its a shame that they cant be released in some northern parts of britain which are quite isolated