New Tax on pigeon club premises????

T_T

Your post beat me posting my gut feeling on all this. Sounds to me like this story was an example of 'the old management ploy' of deliberately floating something that you know will be picked up by the Media, just to see what kind of reaction it gets: if it blows up in your face, you quietly drop the whole thing.

Think this one will be quietly dropped.  :)

agree with bruno, on this one, ,,,,,,just watch , wait and see :)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would be in favour on taxing large pigeon breeders  ,dog breeders ,cat breeders ,    horse breeders and any other animal breeders that are onley out to make a proffit but i think its sick to tax a person on his or her hobby or sport

It would be hard to determine the diffence with pigeons I think. whereas our council only allow two bitches of breeding age, more than that you are classed as a breeder if you sell pups.

We are classed as a 'physical recreational activity'by the Revenue as far as VAT is concerned so I expect it covers all forms of taxation. See 6.1

Sport and physical recreation”

This covers sports and physical education listed at paragraph 3.2 and physical recreation activities such as greyhound/pigeon racing, clay pigeon shooting and darts.

Activities that do not amount to sport or physical recreation, such as chess, card games, dominoes, and spot-the-ball and other newspaper competitions are excluded from the definition.

Where animals are involved, it is important to distinguish between an animal show and activities which qualify as sport or physical recreation, such as a competition where the animals are assessed wholly or partially upon their sporting abilities such as jumping and racing.  

Here is the relevant website if you've got the time to spare.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000115&propertyType=document

Well said Davey and Gangster,

I do agree with the tax as it will give us the fancier more say and more power , it will also get more recognition for us as a sport on a whole!! ok, its a little harsh , but the government have not been sitting there without thinking about what action to take, they have targeted pigeon racing in general, that we now know, but use it to our advantage, merge clubs to minimize the tax charges, which will give us bigger clubs and bigger birdage, but most dont want that as they will win less prizes. is that an attitude to take us forward?? of course not. this i think is the start before they tax sellers and our prize monies and pools !! they are looking at that next,

in yesterdays sun newspaper you had the editor of the racing pigeon news, saying it should be recognized as a sport and within the next 2 sentances called it a hobby himself !!! these are the kind of people that shot themselves and us in the foot... Kieth mott was on the news and he had no answer at one point , he just laughed and said , i quote " ah you got me there !!"  what is that all about. I agree we are a sport upto a point but we should not look and point fingers at the government, but our own RPRA... they are there for us... in the shadows lurking as always .. well how about one of there guys who we pay the wages for, coming out on national TV on the news , which i am sure is waiting for a reply and would not turn the oppotunity down for another side of the story, and say something to defend US.   !!!!

well thats who we should blame for the sport or hobby for being in the state it is, and the people who are scared of change , as they say , its always been done like this so why change it. well gentlemen this is why. We as a so called sport are reaping the whirlwind of our own actions and the RPRA,s lack of effort !!

I am totally with you all on this but takle it the right way. as for dovescot , thanks for the clown remark, very mature, but your forgiven . I wont lose sleep over it.

thanks spencer,

I still don't agree with the tax, we all work hard for our money and pay the due taxes with every wage / salary earned. Why should we now be taxed on our sport / hobby / past time?? Do we not already pay enough taxes? The game is costly enough as it is. Paying this tax does not give us any extra voice, and I do not understand what power we will gain either! But heh, maybe its me being thick.

I do agree with your sentiment regarding clubs merging, but we shouldn't have to be taxed to get this acheived. Where this ideal fails is like someone else stated on an earlier post, what if the closest club is 60 miles away? I agree that there are clubs that are in the same village but are seperate to keep good racers out, but we are going on to a different political debate with that. So, up to a point, I would agree that this is positive thinking.

As regards to the Sun, i don't read it personally. Keith Mott in my dealings with him has been an OK guy, i haven't seen his TV interview, but had he been "dropped on" and was unawares of what was going to be asked, was it a trying question that he stumbled on? He is usually a composed guy so this surprizes me. I agree that maybe someone from the RPRA should have been doing the interview, but were they contacted? Did the TV people go straight for Motty? To blame the RPRA for the state of the game is in my opinion unjust. It is the people together, the members, who make up the RPRA, not one man or a select committee. On top of that, there are more pigeon related unions in the UK than the RPRA. I agree that people who are scared of change are holding us back, you just have to look at the attitude towards ETS etc, but once again, this is opening yet another avenue of political debate, and diverting away from the issue in hand.

You say now that you are WITH US, but your original posts do not portray this message Spencer. You say now that we should tackle it in the right way, yet earlier you wanted us to "bend over and take it!" As regards to Dovescots message, with statements like you made Spence, that is the image you yourself are portraying. I know Dovescot, and have had disagreements with him myself WITHOUT FALLING OUT, but he is an honest and honourable bloke. I have read posts from you on here where you have been particularly impolite to other people, far worse than Dovescot was with you. My uncle Jack, Albear, Gangster, without going back and looking, and i can remember young Ryan being patronised by you at one point also! All good honourable people. Even Keith Mott, you said you wouldn't like to be in the trenches with him! What has he done to derserve a statement like that? Yet when you have been confronted in the past regarding your attitude on here, you spout you have been bullied then you threaten to leave. Motty didn't, Motty faced the camera's, faced the music, whether he made a mess of it or not i don't know, but he faced it nevertheless! I would rather be in the trenches with someone like MOTTY! It was once mentioned that you were "abrasive" and your posts on this thread show exactly that Spence, you do yourself no favours at times. The point that you have received NO support on here for what you were saying shows this. WE the fancy need to pull together, and that you are with US which is what you are now saying, but that is not how you originally came across.

i would be in favour on taxing large pigeon breeders  ,dog breeders ,cat breeders ,    horse breeders and any other animal breeders that are onley out to make a proffit but i think its sick to tax a person on his or her hobby or sport

they do pay businees tax this goverment are just looking for ways to get extra money to get them out of the mess they have got into borrowing from the international monetary fund ??)

Well said Davey and Gangster,

I do agree with the tax as it will give us the fancier more say and more power , it will also get more recognition for us as a sport on a whole!! ok, its a little harsh , but the government have not been sitting there without thinking about what action to take, they have targeted pigeon racing in general, that we now know, but use it to our advantage, merge clubs to minimize the tax charges, which will give us bigger clubs and bigger birdage, but most dont want that as they will win less prizes. is that an attitude to take us forward?? of course not. this i think is the start before they tax sellers and our prize monies and pools !! they are looking at that next,

in yesterdays sun newspaper you had the editor of the racing pigeon news, saying it should be recognized as a sport and within the next 2 sentances called it a hobby himself !!! these are the kind of people that shot themselves and us in the foot... Kieth mott was on the news and he had no answer at one point , he just laughed and said , i quote " ah you got me there !!"  what is that all about. I agree we are a sport upto a point but we should not look and point fingers at the government, but our own RPRA... they are there for us... in the shadows lurking as always .. well how about one of there guys who we pay the wages for, coming out on national TV on the news , which i am sure is waiting for a reply and would not turn the oppotunity down for another side of the story, and say something to defend US.   !!!!

well thats who we should blame for the sport or hobby for being in the state it is, and the people who are scared of change , as they say , its always been done like this so why change it. well gentlemen this is why. We as a so called sport are reaping the whirlwind of our own actions and the RPRA,s lack of effort !!

I am totally with you all on this but takle it the right way. as for dovescot , thanks for the clown remark, very mature, but your forgiven . I wont lose sleep over it.

thanks spencer,

Timbara why can't a sport be your hobby as well? There will be all types of enjoyment from pigeons.

Racing pigeons is a sport

Selling pigeons is a business

Keeping pigeons is a hobby

I think you are not fussy about the tax because you no longer race and happy to sells so if all sales are declared you will pay and claim tax benefits as a business.

Sellers can also include racing in the tax benefit to prove your stocks worth or not as the case may suit.

Keeping some for a hobby is a great way to avoid the tax as well

I still thing you are one of the I'm alright Jack Brigade :-/

Davey and dovescot, look guys i know its harsh being taxed, I agree with it and accept it because i think it can work to our advantage .. it will happen so best thing is to sit down around a table and do something constructive. I was in touch with peter bryan and the RPRA and kieth Mott was forewarned and the RPRA put the TV people intouch with him , they recommended him.... ask yourself this ? why did they not stand infront of the camera and say something, the pigeon sport in this country is farcical because it is still in the dark ages. whos resposible the RPRA and who is responsible for putting them in charge? WE ARE !!

Can you people not see things in black and white, I think your an inteligent guy davey, in fact I know you are, and talk a hell of a lot of sense, but we should accept this because we will not win against the partys impossing this tax. so unless we pack it in , which is what they want, i suggest meeting and pertioining the RPRA and changing the whole board at the reddings !! when a football club is unsuccesful and is constantly let down by selecting the wrong manager, the board are usually forced out and replaced for the good of the club, well its about time the sport replaced the head of its organisation..  

the king is dead , long live the king!!!

And yes i may be blunt and straight to the point, but i cant dilly around umming and ah-ring about what should we do then do nothing, I accept it and move on. saves time you see.

I understand some may not like me, well thats their opinion and opinions vary, I wont lose sleep over it, I have more engaging things to fill my time with. and by saying things in an abrubt or straight manner , please dont think i mean to insult or upset anyone , because I dont intend this at all. I am however sick of pigeon racing in this country being seen as a fools sport by the public who laugh at fanciers as soon as its mentioned that you keep pigeons, and you know the public look at fanciers in a certain light and to make out that the pigeon game in this country is well run , say in return " theres big money in it you know"!!  well thats no defence for a so called sport still in the dark ages and i am sick of the label that comes with it.

cheers for your comments guys , but all i would like to see is the moaning skint flint people who dont even look after their birds properly , dealt with by the RSPCA and the players who want to make the sport better , enjoy the sport...opps sorry hobby.

Guys I am not a homer fancier (I keep pouters etc etc) But I think you should resist in all manner of paying another TAX to this bloody government when they in turn throw it at all the wrong things in turn.

Davey and dovescot, look guys i know its harsh being taxed, I agree with it and accept it because i think it can work to our advantage .. it will happen so best thing is to sit down around a table and do something constructive. I was in touch with peter bryan and the RPRA and kieth Mott was forewarned and the RPRA put the TV people intouch with him , they recommended him.... ask yourself this ? why did they not stand infront of the camera and say something, the pigeon sport in this country is farcical because it is still in the dark ages. whos resposible the RPRA and who is responsible for putting them in charge? WE ARE !!

Can you people not see things in black and white, I think your an inteligent guy davey, in fact I know you are, and talk a hell of a lot of sense, but we should accept this because we will not win against the partys impossing this tax. so unless we pack it in , which is what they want, i suggest meeting and pertioining the RPRA and changing the whole board at the reddings !! when a football club is unsuccesful and is constantly let down by selecting the wrong manager, the board are usually forced out and replaced for the good of the club, well its about time the sport replaced the head of its organisation..  

And yes i may be blunt and straight to the point, but i cant dilly around umming and ah-ring about what should we do then do nothing, I accept it and move on. saves time you see.

I understand some may not like me, well thats their opinion and opinions vary, I wont lose sleep over it, I have more engaging things to fill my time with. and by saying things in an abrubt or straight manner , please dont think i mean to insult or upset anyone , because I dont intend this at all. I am however sick of pigeon racing in this country being seen as a fools sport by the public who laugh at fanciers as soon as its mentioned that you keep pigeons, and you know the public look at fanciers in a certain light and to make out that the pigeon game in this country is well run , say in return " theres big money in it you know"!!  well thats no defence for a so called sport still in the dark ages and i am sick of the label that comes with it.

cheers for your comments guys , but all i would like to see is the moaning skint flint people who dont even look after their birds properly , dealt with by the RSPCA and the players who want to make the sport better , enjoy the sport...opps sorry hobby.

Timbarra, as far as I am concerned you are beating around the bush in camoflage gear, but we won't be fooled by the sound of your drum playing the I'm alright jack song

You seem to have forgot the first statement you made

and to be honest i agree we should be taxed on it. !! why ?

because pigeon fanciers in this country breed far to many rubbish pigeons from to many rubbish pigeons , therefore losing loads of what they breed. which adds to the growing problem of feral or wild pigeons hanging around and shitting all over the building in certain areas. which then means the local councils have to pay out for them to be exterminated and preventative measures being taken, and now they want us the pigeon hobbiest to start being resposible for adding to the problem, and shoulder some costs for which we in the past have never done.. well done the government about time to.

And you can all think of it in a negative way or just turn it around in your favour? how ? by merging all this poor little clubs that send no more than 5 or 6 members a week . so cost would then come down individually !! and if you say ...well i will pack it in and not race anymore!! fine do that , just dont bang your gums over and over again.. moaning. work it to the hobby's advantage !!!

I agree with the TAX .. we are getting of lightly , and the RPRA should have done something years ago and it would not have come to this .. but they sit on their arses taking your money and doing nowt.   we have ourselves to blame so put ou or shut up guys.!!

there is fighting for your right i know, but ask yourself this , where is the RPRA in all this, they have legal representation , why not let them fight our corner as they are our governing body? well they wont and do you know why? because they are a cowboy outfit with primative ideas and where have they taken the sport forward??? we have an image of flat caps and old men.... well we painted that image and have never painted another one since, so we have only ourselves to blame. look at Kieth Mott on the news, he didnt even have an answer at one point !!! god and this is the best we as a nation and supposed sport can do to defend ourselves... good job I was not next to him in a trence.

it will happen and no matter how much gum banging you do, we as a fancy walked straight into it.. made our bed ,now were asked to lay in it.. and we will . trust you , me.

so if you dont want to pay the taxes , get yourself off to the forest and live with robin hood, flt caps and green tights , nice combo!!!!

Come on guys we need to sort out recognition for pigeon racing being classed as a sport - this is why we are having all these issues and problems because officially it is not a sport (we know it is in reality)

Take a look at my thread on 'pigeon racing is a sport'

Every club in every town, village, city etc should have every member of their club sign a petition and hand it in to the sports minister or the prime minister gordon brown!!

Come on guys!!!

I will write one and try to post it to this site for all to down load (but I am not very computor techical - I will try over the next few days. Please be patient as I work fultime).

'

I come from the North East of England Spencer, a place that is not noted for its wealth, riches or gold. In fact, its probably known elsewhere as a poverty stricken area. The North East was founded on Ship Building and mainly Coal Mines. Our ancestory here were hard grafting honest souls, who called a spade a spade, but did so with respect. Numerous families worked for a pittance, with both the men and young boys being sent to the pit as their only means of work. This created a community spirit, unlike many other places i have witnessed when i have visited. The closest people aliken to us are the Yorkshire and Scottish people. It was these miners who founded our north eastern pigeon fraternity, keeping their birds going on coppers earned from selling scrap metal etc. The area lost its working lifeblood to the Tories. However, the community spirit creatd all those years ago by the miners largely stayed. As did the family inherited sport of racing pigeons. Still there are people flying today, in my clubs, that have very little cash to spend, just like our forefathers from all thoe years ago. Unlike you, i empathize with these people. It must be great to have wealth with which you are able to show such contempt to the underpriviliged and struggling as you do. How proud this must make you when you are able to be so arrogant and condescending as to say that you would like to see these people dealt with by the RSPCA. I wonder, if these poor struggling people were able to afford your pigeons, would you still be as arrogant and condescending with them while you were taking their shilling? I would wager not! The tax to these people could be crippling enough to finish them in the game. Its not good food for thought given the current state of the Membership numbers in the game is it? But hey, what do you care, you don't give a toss what people think with your brash and blatant disreguard for other people's predicaments. The disrespect you dish out Spencer is alarming. You may feel that the cloth cap image is beneath you, i don't, ITS MY HERITAGE. I don't wear a flat cap, or dress in cheap clothing, as i'm fortunate. But i do not be-little those that do. You state that you are with US, then in your last post once again contradict yourself with such condescending arrogance. You state you have no intentions of upsetting or insulting people, and then do actually that. How can you be so hypocritical Spencer? It actually amazes me!

The tax may come, you may not lose any sleep over it or how you treat or come across to people, of that i have no doubt. You have NO COMPASSION IN YOU WHATSOEVER. I can handle that Spencer, but must admit, it dissapoints me immensely when I come across your like. Don't race, sell your pigeons, its your privilege, pay your tax, you can afford it, so can i although it will be begrudgingly, the difference between us though, is that I actually give a sh** about the SPORT and what happens to it and the people in it, even after i'm dead and gone. When I say US, and WE, I actually mean it! I think if you had of been "in the trenches" Spencer, you may well have been shot by your own side!

I come from the North East of England Spencer, a place that is not noted for its wealth, riches or gold. In fact, its probably known elsewhere as a poverty stricken area. The North East was founded on Ship Building and mainly Coal Mines. Our ancestory here were hard grafting honest souls, who called a spade a spade, but did so with respect. Numerous families worked for a pittance, with both the men and young boys being sent to the pit as their only means of work. This created a community spirit, unlike many other places i have witnessed when i have visited. The closest people aliken to us are the Yorkshire and Scottish people. It was these miners who founded our north eastern pigeon fraternity, keeping their birds going on coppers earned from selling scrap metal etc. The area lost its working lifeblood to the Tories. However, the community spirit creatd all those years ago by the miners largely stayed. As did the family inherited sport of racing pigeons. Still there are people flying today, in my clubs, that have very little cash to spend, just like our forefathers from all thoe years ago. Unlike you, i empathize with these people. It must be great to have wealth with which you are able to show such contempt to the underpriviliged and struggling as you do. How proud this must make you when you are able to be so arrogant and condescending as to say that you would like to see these people dealt with by the RSPCA. I wonder, if these poor struggling people were able to afford your pigeons, would you still be as arrogant and condescending with them while you were taking their shilling? I would wager not! The tax to these people could be crippling enough to finish them in the game. Its not good food for thought given the current state of the Membership numbers in the game is it? But hey, what do you care, you don't give a toss what people think with your brash and blatant disreguard for other people's predicaments. The disrespect you dish out Spencer is alarming. You may feel that the cloth cap image is beneath you, i don't, ITS MY HERITAGE. I don't wear a flat cap, or dress in cheap clothing, as i'm fortunate. But i do not be-little those that do. You state that you are with US, then in your last post once again contradict yourself with such condescending arrogance. You state you have no intentions of upsetting or insulting people, and then do actually that. How can you be so hypocritical Spencer? It actually amazes me!

The tax may come, you may not lose any sleep over it or how you treat or come across to people, of that i have no doubt. You have NO COMPASSION IN YOU WHATSOEVER. I can handle that Spencer, but must admit, it dissapoints me immensely when I come across your like. Don't race, sell your pigeons, its your privilege, pay your tax, you can afford it, so can i although it will be begrudgingly, the difference between us though, is that I actually give a sh** about the SPORT and what happens to it and the people in it, even after i'm dead and gone. When I say US, and WE, I actually mean it! I think if you had of been "in the trenches" Spencer, you may well have been shot by your own side!

brilliant ,seems spencer is for spencer and sod everyone else.

Good, I was thinking it was just me ::) ::) ::)

No reply to my idea then??????

NO WONDER PIGEON  RACING IS AS IT IS!! I AM WILLING TO MAKE A STAND AND NO-ONE IS TAKING IT SERIOUSLY. Most of you guys are more interrested  in the annual dance...

What are you all scared of, most of you are all talk and willing to sit back and let the true fanciers do the hard work?

Bring it on!

Ha its laughable!!!

No reply to my idea then??????

NO WONDER PIGEON  RACING IS AS IT IS!! I AM WILLING TO MAKE A STAND AND NO-ONE IS TAKING IT SERIOUSLY. Most of you guys are more interrested  in the annual dance...

What are you all scared of, most of you are all talk and willing to sit back and let the true fanciers do the hard work?

Bring it on!

Ha its laughable!!!

You posted a seperate thread and it is getting plenty of praise

http://www.pigeonbasics.com/forum/blah/m-1196243247/s-new/#num10

Your above statement is a litte bit self centred, you are being taken seriously but not if you continue to act like this.

There is more to pigeon life than the down sides, are you going to the night out at Blackpool?

The post from Dark Helmet is "TOP CLASS" yes I'll shout it full of honest truths of how a working mans sport can be hijacked for people to make money and laugh all the way to the bank. There are some of us who have paid too much for birds but thought it was right at that time, and there are some who sell but without the arrogance and belittlement cast upon the downtrodden i can accept that, the other type - no thank you.

For what it's worth, I've mailed my MP and him being a man from the Valleys of Wales should know the passion we feel about our sport of pigeon racing.

I emailed mine 2 days ago about this tax being put on us, ive heard nothing, but then again mike foster is about as much use as a ashtray on a motorbike  :-/ :-/ :-/