Whats this bird worth

Delboy

I attended John Hunters entire clearance sale yesterday at Newmains and the star of the sale for me was a mealy cock.Although he was a 96 bird , he was fully fertile and looked a picture.There were a few offspring in the sale from him so he was doing something right.This cock was sold for £34.Now you may think that is ok but when you see that he had scored 3rd and 8th west section, 31st and 80th open Rennes with the SNFC, that puts a different price tag on the doo altogether.I dont know of any other bird to have scored twice in the top 10 of the section from the Gold cup and still be alive.The mealy cocks brother was in the sale also.He was put to stock after scoring high up from SNFC Sartilly 500 mls as a yearling.Another cracker priced £24. UNBELIEVABLE

Despite the great performances that the bird had put up the fact that he is a 96 pigeon was obviously the reason he went so cheap.Hopefully whoever bought him will manage to breed of him but even moving him to another loft at that age I think is taking a chance,but for £34 its worth a try.

Despite the great performances that the bird had put up the fact that he is a 96 pigeon was obviously the reason he went so cheap.Hopefully whoever bought him will manage to breed of him but even moving him to another loft at that age I think is taking a chance,but for £34 its worth a try.

my thoughts exactly

I attended John Hunters entire clearance sale yesterday at Newmains and the star of the sale for me was a mealy cock.Although he was a 96 bird , he was fully fertile and looked a picture.There were a few offspring in the sale from him so he was doing something right.This cock was sold for £34.Now you may think that is ok but when you see that he had scored 3rd and 8th west section, 31st and 80th open Rennes with the SNFC, that puts a different price tag on the doo altogether.I dont know of any other bird to have scored twice in the top 10 of the section from the Gold cup and still be alive.The mealy cocks brother was in the sale also.He was put to stock after scoring high up from SNFC Sartilly 500 mls as a yearling.Another cracker priced £24. UNBELIEVABLE

Derek I presume your talking about the WEST section cos I know of a few in the East Section still alive and one is still racing for definite. 6th 7th 12th and 35th Sect

Derek I presume your talking about the WEST section cos I know of a few in the East Section still alive and one is still racing for definite. 6th 7th 12th and 35th Sect

6th 7th 12th 35th from the Gold cup.Who has that yin Andy

These doos are like hens teeth, in Scotland anyway.

Guest spin cycle

i think prices have weakened over the winter. i went to a dispersal last sept. where,i thought the birds,sold pretty well (good birds,av.£50). then in jan a mate went to a similar sale and bought an excellent pair for £35. perhaps it's high feed prices,ets feuding , 'the cold wind of recession' (or a combination). the yb studs are probably going to suffer also.

Guest Gareth Rankin

Somone has got themselves a bargin and although it's gamble with his age if you can get at least one breeding season from him = 6 young birds this would only be costing you £5.66 per young bird from a sire who has put up some great performances in the SNFC gold cup race.

Somone has got themselves a bargin and although it's gamble with his age if you can get at least one breeding season from him = 6 young birds this would only be costing you £5.66 per young bird from a sire who has put up some great performances in the SNFC gold cup race.

Gareth even a pair is a bargain..

very surprised and disapointed to hear of the clearance sale of john hunter of airdrie,john had a smashing record at the distance in recent years,handled the mealy cock a few years ago certainly a quality bird and a snip for the lucky buyer,as seems to be quite common with todays fanciers john did not get the recognition he deserved maybe winning with so called unfashionable birds the reason thus maybe why the low prices! :( :( :-/ :-/

Guest TAMMY_1

As the heading of your thread asks  "What's this bird worth ",  well it was only worth whatever was paid for it/them, which was £34 and£24 respectively, if somebody at the sale had thought they were worth more they would have fetched more, any bird is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it.

Guest slugmonkey

NEW GUYS LISTEN UP

this is one of those posts that you can learn a lot from I have got some SPECTACULAR old birds for next to nothing on several occasions just simply because they were old!!! you cannot breed old birds like young stud cocks and every egg they throw will not be good BUT the good ones you get will be worth the effort last year I bred 4 off of a 17 year old son of KAISER I only had to split the babys with the owner, we got the Athlete ( NL 2236500 ) from Ganus with the stipulation that if he bred we owed 1500 dollars we got 9 babys off of him including 1 inbred, we recently purchased 2 grondaler pigeons that had thrown the #3 bird and the #7 bird in a 200 member club we also bought the #7 bird we paid 50 dollars each for these birds so I guess my point is this DONT turn your nose up at OLD cheap pigeons a lot of times you can get better pigeons than you could ever afford by taking a chance on an OLD bird !!!

As the heading of your thread asks  "What's this bird worth ",  well it was only worth whatever was paid for it/them, which was £34 and£24 respectively, if somebody at the sale had thought they were worth more they would have fetched more, any bird is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it.

i think the surprise was more the fact that the mealy cock had taken two top section and open prizes in scotlands blue riband race from rennes 540mls,and with all probability still fertile i think you would agree tammy the bird was undervalued ,and as i said in an earlier post if the bird had scored for other possibly more prominent fanciers would have sold for considerabley more money. :)

Maybe unfortunate timing (lofts already set for the year) and little interest in that pigeon by those who did attend. I think price is down to luck on the day and good luck to the persons who bought them. 'Old' pigeons don't get old by accident or good luck. If they are still around at 10+, then they've been earning their keep as breeders.