500 miles and again or?

Michael J Burden

I see that the MNFC has Saintes and Bergerac on the same day, 500 miles and 560 miles to me. Three weeks later the NFC has Saintes again. 4 weeks before this Tarbes 670 miles.

Would you send birds to both of these races over 500 miles in one season.

I intend to send mine which includes the yearlings and yearling latebreds.

How about you?

I personaly think that one is enought, especially if the bird has scored well on the result and has had a hard race.but if i was going to send again i would like for it to have at least four weeks to recover.

I personaly think that one is enought, especially if the bird has scored well on the result and has had a hard race.but if i was going to send again i would like for it to have at least four weeks to recover.

if you want to keep them for year afteryear and there scoring you are right vincent my boy , as my mentor says the will go on when there 5 6 and 7 y/o if you get them right if not you don,t send but they have got to be right , and he is the best in the business .

My best advice is to wait and see how the 1st race goes, and watch the recovery of the birds.If the 1st race is a tough nose ender, then id think strongly about sending them back, they might look good on the outside, but its whats inside that counts. I had a very good hen which won the 500 mles race three years on the spin, and she was never sent to the bergerac race which was consistantly 3 weeks after. And be mindfull when sending yearlings, yes theyll come, ive known them win, but sometimes you can destroy them at a young age. Pigeons are very similar to horse races in the way they are trained and raced, you dont see many young horses entered for the Grand National now, think that says it all. Good luck though if you do

Guest cloudview

depends on the first race  was it ablow home or  astinker     blow home   YES  a hard  race  NO   ,  i would have no confidense   in  sending them back again , not   for winning  anyway  

Guest Gareth Rankin

For me know problem infact it's something we miss up in Scotland the chance to send pigeons back to 500 miles after been successful in the first race, i say this because in Scotland we cram 4 channel races into a 3 week slot and for most fanciers this is not enough time to prepare them correctly for the next race, perhaps this is something that needs to be looked at within Scotland.

cheers

This is one of the reasons why there is so few Gold awards won by pigeons in the SNFC which are for pigeons that have scored 5 times from 500 miles.

BEST PROGRAMME BY FAR FOR THE DOOS,(NOT THE ECONOMICS) WAS 2 RACES AT 500 MLS ALMOST A MONTH APART.

PLENTY TIME TO GET HENS BACK DOWN ,OR IF A HARD FIRST RACE ,PLENTY TIME TO BUILD THE DOO BACK UP

SORRY MENT TO SAY BEST PROGRAMME IN SCOTLAND (OLD SNFC) PROGRAMME

must agree wholeheartidly, although the big problem being the lack of birds going to the 500-600ml events in scotland and having the above programme would put a 500ml race before the gold cup,great in the halycon days of 70s and 80s but not so sure today.  :) :) :) :)

Guest Gareth Rankin

must agree wholeheartidly, although the big problem being the lack of birds going to the 500-600ml events in scotland and having the above programme would put a 500ml race before the gold cup,great in the halycon days of 70s and 80s but not so sure today.  :) :) :) :)

or bring the gold cup race forward 1 week. ;) ;)

For me know problem infact it's something we miss up in Scotland the chance to send pigeons back to 500 miles after been successful in the first race, i say this because in Scotland we cram 4 channel races into a 3 week slot and for most fanciers this is not enough time to prepare them correctly for the next race, perhaps this is something that needs to be looked at within Scotland.

cheers

This is one of the reasons why there is so few Gold awards won by pigeons in the SNFC which are for pigeons that have scored 5 times from 500 miles.

Spot on Gareth.

The old program before we started messing around with inland nationals was perfect for the distance fanciers. Sartilly or Falaise a fortnight before the gold cup then the normal week to the long one and a fortnight to the last Sartilly or Falaise. That was a balanced program that allowed the majority of birds home in reasonable time from the first channel race to go back.

Under the current program the natural flyers can't send their birds twice to France if their favoured nest condition is sitting close to hatching or on babies and it's denying a lot of very good pigeons the chance to become multiple SNFC diploma winners and compete for things like the Dewar Trophy.

If there had been no Sartilly 1 in the 1980s there would have been no double gold award for Fortune Lady. If there had been no Falaise 1 in 2004 then we may have missed out on the legend of Auld Reekie (11th open Falaise a fortnight before winning the gold cup). These are the kind of pigeons that inspire people to fly the distance and if we want to produce these great multiple performance champions we need to give them a framework of races that allows them to flourish.  

My best advice is to wait and see how the 1st race goes, and watch the recovery of the birds.If the 1st race is a tough nose ender, then id think strongly about sending them back, they might look good on the outside, but its whats inside that counts. I had a very good hen which won the 500 mles race three years on the spin, and she was never sent to the bergerac race which was consistantly 3 weeks after. And be mindfull when sending yearlings, yes theyll come, ive known them win, but sometimes you can destroy them at a young age. Pigeons are very similar to horse races in the way they are trained and raced, you dont see many young horses entered for the Grand National now, think that says it all. Good luck though if you do

Excellent reply, ;) Vic.

Flying yearlings over 500 miles into Scotland twice in the same year could be done but not very many of them will do it. In 2004 there were only 2 yearlings scored in SNFC in more the one 500 mile race. Haven't checked 05,06,07 results but wouldn't have thought there would be very many due to race programs  

Intersting replies.

I have sent tehm back again at 400 miles after dropping at 12 and a half hours to win a good position. The best come and thats what we all are looking for ?

If my birds were racing at 11 years old I would not think much of it although yours was a very good bird.

I look at it this way if they are done at 3 years of age no problem, I bred emm and they are in the stockk loft form many years to come where i can drool over them every dat I go down to the loft.

Often done two nigh 500 / or more back to back, with another a fortnight later, and then another 500 two week - ends after.

The Canadians think nothing of sending y/b's doing 2/3 400 milers back to back. The Australian's  y/b's go 500 or more then as yearlings then go 700 miles or so.

Pince Jackson a hundred years ago was getting yearlings at the 1000 miles... go figure, are our birds not bred to do it now? or is it that they never get the chance?

Two 500 mile races in one year, not a problem provided that the first one wasn't to hard, If the races have been good I can't see a problem of a race every 2 weeks, not at 500 mile obviously, but I have sent pigeons on a few occasions back to 500 the following week and with good results, but it has allready been said you have to see how the bird is when it comes home and then make your mind up.

Guest slugmonkey

GOOD birds no problem I had one that flew 10 of 11 weeks was in top 20% everytime and top 10%  8 of 10 times and equal 1st on 4 races ( he came in group and we won race anyway ) In our club to be in contention for best bird they had better be able to go 8 weeks straight at bare minum we have 2300 ypm races and then 900 ypm races the next week