Clipping pigeons wings, advice wanted

just clip 1 wing all 10 flights down as far as ye can without cutting the bird hope this helps....  :)

we lost our fantail just doing the one wing

she managed to step - up bit by bit - fenc - loft roof - house roof -then took off - it didn't put her off balance (or any more than she was LOL !!!)

Last seen on a roof about 12 houses down from me and never seen since

So - both wings since then - with others - I leave the quill intact - just 'shear' off either side of it

i think if you clip their wings it really is better with  the two, but remember the birds wont grow these flights untill they moult , so could be unable to fly for a long time [i,e cats , hawks im sure they can tell :-/], i personally wouldnt advise it ,, if its to get them homing , i think its far better to settle the birds with an aviary , where they can see out , then try them whilst sitting on eggs.

Guest karl adams

wet the birds wings then run a bar of soap down the flights then run your hands down them so that the feathering all sticks to the quill then when they dry the bird will find it hard to fly and it can easily be washed off when you think the bird is safe to be let fly

Does any member clip their new pigeons wings or one wing I have heard is best.

If so what is the best way to do it :)

The main reason I asked was that Billy will be moving to a low door house when he gets out of hospital, so in the meantime I am cleaning up his area and bring his remaining pigeons up to my place.

I don't want to home them to me then rehome them again if and when Billy gets settled, so just looking for alternative ideas to keeping them put in the meantime :)

I dont think clipping the wings is a good thing, more so if the birds have a past home to return to, even clipping sometimes the birds can fly enough to get away. give them plenty sight of the surounding are via cages etc, before thrying to break them,

I dont think clipping the wings is a good thing, more so if the birds have a past home to return to, even clipping sometimes the birds can fly enough to get away. give them plenty sight of the surounding are via cages etc, before thrying to break them,

I don't want to break them to here, just keep them up here temporary along with the others, they are mostly cocks so I dont want them in the main lofts as they will cause havoc with the pairs, This is only a temporary measure till I can sort a loft out at Billy's new house when he gets one, he has decided to keep only his twelve best birds for breeding next year so they wont be raced

I am running out of ideas and room :'(

I don't want to break them to here, just keep them up here temporary along with the others, they are mostly cocks so I dont want them in the main lofts as they will cause havoc with the pairs, This is only a temporary measure till I can sort a loft out at Billy's new house when he gets one, he has decided to keep only his twelve best birds for breeding next year so they wont be raced

I am running out of ideas and room :'(

if they are going back to Billy's I woul'nt bnreak them as you will find them hard to break again at Billies, also if you intend to race birds which are broken some times on race days they go back to the old loft,

if they are going back to Billy's I woul'nt bnreak them as you will find them hard to break again at Billies, also if you intend to race birds which are broken some times on race days they go back to the old loft,

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Dont go clipping any wings as that is the doo finished till the end of the year use a good bit of fairy liquid to soap them up on the wings and that will work the same way as clipping them but is really easy to wash off but it may need reapplying when you let them out again

Dont go clipping any wings as that is the doo finished till the end of the year use a good bit of fairy liquid to soap them up on the wings and that will work the same way as clipping them but is really easy to wash off but it may need reapplying when you let them out again

Thanks, just looking for options

Maybe I never made it clear why I am looking at this option or similar

Due to his illness Billy will definately have to move house, while in hospital I am trying to get things arrange so he can move into suitable accomodation when he gets out, so in the meantime I have to clear up at his old house so they can pass it. Which means I may have to take his lofts down with no where else to put them so in the meantime I am housing his birds at my place till he gets settled and a loft built at his new place

I don't want to break them to here, just keep them up here temporary along with the others, they are mostly cocks so I dont want them in the main lofts as they will cause havoc with the pairs, This is only a temporary measure till I can sort a loft out at Billy's new house when he gets one, he has decided to keep only his twelve best birds for breeding next year so they wont be raced this year due to his relapse and a possibly another month in hospital and further convalesance may see any race season pass him bye

I am running out of ideas, time and room :'(

and don,t let them out in the rain they will get there self in to a lather  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I never interfere with birds wing. I reckon with all the things it has to contend with outside nowadays - hawks, wires, masts etc, letting a bird outside that can't fly just isn't on.

Dovescot, if I read to your post right, Billy won't be keeping all his pigeons. Wouldn't it be better to try rehoming those that are going just now? Maybe sub-divide a section for the remainder?

I used to clip my back in 96. I used to do both wings except the last two flights on the wing. My grandfather always said if you cut the last two flights you'll but the quills blood vessels. How true it was I do not know, but it stopped the birds flying. They were like chickens fly three feet up and drop.

I never interfere with birds wing. I reckon with all the things it has to contend with outside nowadays - hawks, wires, masts etc, letting a bird outside that can't fly just isn't on.

Dovescot, if I read to your post right, Billy won't be keeping all his pigeons. Wouldn't it be better to try rehoming those that are going just now? Maybe sub-divide a section for the remainder?

I plan to build a new loft at Billy's new house, depeding on a number of factors, if he survives, he almost died last time, in fact he would have if I had not found him when I did. If his new house can take a loft, he may not have any garden being the main ones

He had over 100 assorted pigeons, two loft and four aviaries when I first started looking after them, he now has just one loft and twelve racers he wants to keep. I have only had to cull six that were lame or infirm. The rest have been rehomed mostly to members on the site.

Out of the twelve there are 8 cocks and 4 hens which he hopes to get four good pair for breeding next years young, either get get rid of the four cocks or buy four hens we will have to wait and see.

I am only trying to accomodate these along with ours while we sort out Billy's housing, don't plan to keep them here as Billy wants the joy of watching them at his place on race days, they will never be raced only used as stock

Personally I would get rid of them all and start again when he gets set up but Billy has his wishes and ideas at the moment that is paramount to his welbeing