west section

caitlin

why don't the 2 nationals join together for there  inland races  6 0f them    then  go with the unc for  the  six races  across the  water,  that way  at yer agms,  you would only have the  one agenda,  distance racing,    tay yer  hearts content  no need to  depend on the lanarkshire  and such  like feds  then the lanarkshire would  take all the rest of the sound in mind   sprinting   out  to  380 -  400 mile we allready have the sections  ;D ;D ;D

the good racing only starts after 400mls  :P ;D ;D ;D

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest frank dooman

the good racing only starts after 400mls  :P ;D ;D ;D

there is no such thing as inland nat IMO that should be left to feds and the combines

Guest uphallhen

There are not many national winners in the east that would win here in the west if only they would tell the truth that it is easy-er to win the national there in the east or the borders than here in the west.

there is no such thing as inland nat IMO that should be left to feds and the combines

couldnt agree more m8 ,  a wee bit off fun on a sat a 400ml combine race to get you in the mood for the longer one the same day. good wee 400ml race to get the yearlings going

Guest frank dooman

couldnt agree more m8 ,  a wee bit off fun on a sat a 400ml combine race to get you in the mood for the longer one the same day. good wee 400ml race to get the yearlings going

yes or even time it for a toss for 1 of the real races over the pond

i am afraid guys  the distance races have about 3 years max left  in them  you all become like the dodo, the real cost at present  for you all to survive with out sponging of other feds

is likely to be  Â£8 per bird  to send them  to france ,  provided there was   more than  300 doos = £2,400 to make it pay  your  club or  union  ;)  

Guest frank dooman
i am afraid guys  the distance races have about 3 years max left  in them  you all become like the dodo, the real cost at present  for you all to survive with out sponging of other feds

is likely to be  Â£8 per bird  to send them  to france ,  provided there was   more than  300 doos = £2,400 to make it pay  your  club or  union  ;)  

now now danny are you just back from zorb again  ;) ;) ;D ;D

there will always be a place 4 the distance they blue ribbon events of the year especially the longest combines will transport together to ensure racing :)

whots £8 quid if you enjoy it , no plenty blokes that spend that on first 20 mins in the boozer every day  for a kick off ;) ;) ;D ;D

Guest JonesyBhoy

Distance racing will NEVER die in bonnie Scotland... its what were all about...

Long live the SNFC and SNRPC.. and all the Blue Riband races..

Wheter you be West, East, North or South its about enjoying your sport and getting them to France..!!!

whots £8 quid if you enjoy it , no plenty blokes that spend that on first 20 mins in the boozer every day  for a kick off ;) ;) ;D ;D

thats what i like to here  by the way the nat agms coming up

see how many put there hand up for  2p increase  ;D ;D ;D

make it 10p  and  snrpc will need another geraldy  ;D ;D ;D

there will always be a place 4 the distance they blue ribbon events of the year especially the longest combines will transport together to ensure racing :)

Have to agree mate,if i did not have the chance to compete at the highest level against the cream of fanciers  from distances in excess of 450 miles then i would have to take up fishing or something.Just my opinion, but if i was only racing up too 200 miles then as far as i am concerned i might as well keep budgies.Which i would not.

Guest frank dooman

that would be no prob danny we have acess to two other geraldys and a trailer just incase the birdage falls somewhere in between thanks to the forward thinking S/L FED AND GLASGOW FED  not forgeting gordon geddes and forth bridges all state of the art  transporters

Have to agree mate,if i did not have the chance to compete at the highest level against the cream of fanciers  from distances in excess of 450 miles then i would have to take up fishing or something.Just my opinion, but if i was only racing up too 200 miles then as far as i am concerned i might as well keep budgies.Which i would not.

would 200mls not be long distance budgie racing vince :P ;D ;D

i will say one thing  though, as  it cant be denied, is the lower the velocity the more likelier the west will win it,   now ain't that something bigda as it is  ;)

Guest Gareth Rankin
why are so many fanciers in the west so poor at nat racing. but jim hannah. davy elliot. jim cullin. john crosgrove. the rankins. j.j hood. win regular. and the rest have all the excuses about a bad area. but the above fanciers win every year no prob. its it poor pigeon men or poor pigeons

Thought i would bring the original post back to the forefront, disappointed that you believe that the fanciers are poorer in the west than any other area of Scotland,

fact is fact

The fanciers in the west section of Scotland are up there with the best of them and not only the fanciers that you quote at the top of the page.

The problem you have is that because there are so little west section pigeons taking the top open prizes then you asume that these fanciers are inferior to the rest of the country but you could not be further from the truth, the fanciers in the west of the country have to deal with many obstacles (not excuses as it could be seen to be).

Predators

The pigeons that finish the ;last 60 miles into the west have to go through a area that is regarded as being one of the the most densely populated areas of perigrines in the UK and this  part of the journey comes after flying over the pennines or Cumbria in which ever line of flight that they have taken.

Terrain

Terrain which could be described as being moutanious and the only way pigeons will get a straight path through these hills is if there is a south/south east wind, they will then get upto a height of 1000+ feet were a true line of flight will be given this itself happens very rarely, any other wind and these pigeons are being buffered through/ around hills at a low level which adds to there journey, have drove up through these hills at around 19.00 hours and because of the sunsetting low to the west of them then these hills then become like darkened dungeons and because of the BOP problem the tiring pigeons loose confidence to keep going that last 60 miles..

Wind

Like any club, fed or National the wind plays a momentous part in determining who gets the top prizes and the SNFC is no different. An example this year was in Eastbourne when Tam Richardson put up a great position in winning 1st west region against 1500 pigeons but because of the prevailing west wind his open position was a lowly 173rd open against 5000 pigeons now i would take Tams postion any day compared to being 172nd open 91st section B with 1090 competing birds.

Something worth remembering to fanciers like youself caitlin and that is that your section prize never lies, everyone dreams of 1st open but it is a dream and one we can only dream off, reality is a true performance competing in your allocated section which makes allowances for the obstacles quoted above.

Going down to Ladbrokes to get a bet on a west section fancier winning the Gold cup race, it's only been 30 years since the last man won it in this part of the country. Whats the odds anyone know.

cheers

Gareth

Great post Gareth..
snfc 2009 o/bird results.

1st nat. the 1st x 6 in w/section open pos were 8th.9th.13th.17th.25th.28th.open  

2nd nat. 1st 6 in w/section open pos were 173rd.192nd.227th.242nd.262nd.264th.open    

3rd nat..  gold cup1st x 6 in w/ section open pos were     4th.5th.10th.12th.14th.17th. open.

4th nat. the 1st 6x w/section. open pos were. 3rd.5th.12th.13th.14th.16th.open.    

5th nat the 1st x6 w/section open pos were. 4th.5th.6th.10th.16th.23rd. open.    

6th nat. 1st 6 w/section open pos were. 18th.39th.61st.64th.76th.77th. open.

no matter the wind or the bop. when the birds are right they win as the open results in 2009 show. in the w/section.

Guest Gareth Rankin
snfc 2009 o/bird results.

1st nat. the 1st x 6 in w/section open pos were 8th.9th.13th.17th.25th.28th.open  

2nd nat. 1st 6 in w/section open pos were 173rd.192nd.227th.242nd.262nd.264th.open    

3rd nat..  gold cup1st x 6 in w/ section open pos were     4th.5th.10th.12th.14th.17th. open.

4th nat. the 1st 6x w/section. open pos were. 3rd.5th.12th.13th.14th.16th.open.    

5th nat the 1st x6 w/section open pos were. 4th.5th.6th.10th.16th.23rd. open.    

6th nat. 1st 6 w/section open pos were. 18th.39th.61st.64th.76th.77th. open.

no matter the wind or the bop. when the birds are right they win as the open results in 2009 show. in the w/section.

snfc

Would agree 2009 was a truly fantastic year for the west section, but does that then mean that all the previous years that the west fanciers sent pigeons were not as you quote right?? dont forget there has only been one channel National won in the west in the last 23 years from approx 90+ SNFC races.

Open positions comes down to the W.T.P factor

cheers

Gareth

snfc

Would agree 2009 was a truly fantastic year for the west section, but does that then mean that all the previous years that the west fanciers sent pigeons were not as you quote right?? dont forget there has only been one channel National won in the west in the last 23 years from approx 90+ SNFC races.

Open positions comes down to the W.T.P factor

cheers

Gareth

And DRAG OF PIGEONS. The west got some top positions last year because of the Lanarkshire fed coming on board, this in turn tipped the scales of success more to the west section. In the 60s,70s the west section achieved similar results because of the amount of birds they sent. DRAG, an undeniable massive factor in pigeon racing, just look at the yb National.

gareth seem s strange for a guy to point out all these problems /excuses for the west sect  yes i will agree good fanciers in every sect but if you think the west is hard try the north  plenty work up here and hooses  come up and see how you get on  plenty left the north and done well and some won nat and in some cases could do nothing up here  the north is the place of the hard distance  birds  but still the quality shines through with many great performances  JMO

gareth seem s strange for a guy to point out all these problems /excuses for the west sect  yes i will agree good fanciers in every sect but if you think the west is hard try the north  plenty work up here and hooses  come up and see how you get on  plenty left the north and done well and some won nat and in some cases could do nothing up here  the north is the place of the hard distance  birds  but still the quality shines through with many great performances  JMO

cracking post alan regarding the west i could be wrong here but i would say tam richardson won about the same amount of open tickets as the whole of the north section and thats just one man . so has the west got it hardest from a club race yes but from the distance when the doos are all split up no simple as the doo that wants home the most will get home first regardless of loft location JMO. enjoy your doos guys and face up to the facts there is bop everywhere not just in the west.

delboy inland sprint races drag certainley but french races where are you getting the drag from its not from the volume of birds the winning birds are in ones and two;s clear of straglers for me and this is only what i think the majority of birds thats being put to the distance have to much introductions in them so lost the homing ability at that distance going by the amount that makes it home now in race time