Pigeon Fancier

Walter swanston

The Cambridge Dictionary defines a pigeon fancier as someone who keeps pigeons as pets This is a description which I have to confess certainly applies to me and it is an attitude which is treated with immense scorn by serious racers in the pigeon community.I have kept about 40 pigeons here all winter and have watched them flying around the place most days I know each bird individually and know their breeding and characteristics.As the racing season approaches and the inevitable day comes when they are dispatched to a race point I know some are not going to be seen again which I regret very muchSome may think this is a poor attitude but there you go would I be better with tumblers or something.

Yep Walter, I am the same ... Like to see them out and about and around the loft / garden.

To be honest I hate to lose any, but take that as part and partial to the game / so called sport.

Never raced last season, not even a one. Never missed it really to be honest.

Haven't raced young birds for years.

Seldom train in years gone by ... Just enter them in races. Used to be: Youngsters, half go first two races. Other half the second two. then right through if in good condition. No training. But haven't sent as said for a few year y/b's.

For 3 years prior to last season, yearlings and older, first time in basket 150 odd miles ... always in top 10. Maybe they go two races.

If I have to lose them etc. then saves time, effort and money this way ... though glad to say losses few.

Was geared up - per usual, for this season... This Wednesday I will pay out £00 all but a fiver for club / fed fees etc.

This afternoon the good lady says 'Race them... use the pot or get off it'! So she who must be obeyed - so she thinks - means that they will be tossed end of April / early May and sent this year.

Next year :huh::mellow: Then may decide to 'Just keep some'.

The Cambridge Dictionary defines a pigeon fancier as someone who keeps pigeons as pets This is a description which I have to confess certainly applies to me and it is an attitude which is treated with immense scorn by serious racers in the pigeon community.I have kept about 40 pigeons here all winter and have watched them flying around the place most days I know each bird individually and know their breeding and characteristics.As the racing season approaches and the inevitable day comes when they are dispatched to a race point I know some are not going to be seen again which I regret very muchSome may think this is a poor attitude but there you go would I be better with tumblers or something.

Feel exactly the same, hate losing any

Its a great hobby walter we can all do our own thing without being dictated to

I get great pleasure watching them race the skys on a good summers night

Love competing when the distance comes around and hate losing a consistent doo but go they must

Only had the cocks out three nights last week

Hens not yet

Hills all white with snow again yesterday and today

Started last year at third race when weather was getting into double figures and snow had gone from hills and they flew excellent

Could never get my head round why fanciers send what they class as good birds in the month of April

But each to their own my Friend

I'm sure a lot of fanciers including myself would agree with your sentiment Walter :)