Another Daft Question

Being as how folk were helpfuland nobody blew a raspberry at me after asking how you tell the difference between cock and hen pigeons im going to chance my arm and ask something equally daft.

The cheap plastic widowhood fronts,what actually is the idea behind them and does the sliding door part go towards the front the side or what ?....ive tried reading up on the widowhood system but cant seem to get the absolute basics anywhere do the pair stay in them or should the door be left open.

Not necessarily !

As a new starter, Yellowman, go natural first. You've a lot to learn....get the basics squared away first ! OMO.

In all honesty im nowhere near ready to start racing its just that ive been given some nest boxes with widowhood fronts and cant quite suss out how they are used....purely for breeding some pigeons for the time being would i be better off taking the plastic fronts off ?

In all honesty im nowhere near ready to start racing its just that ive been given some nest boxes with widowhood fronts and cant quite suss out how they are used....purely for breeding some pigeons for the time being would i be better off taking the plastic fronts off ?

If the birds have all been paired together from last year then go for it, if they are new pairings you will need to keep each pair away from the others until they are settled and the plastic fronts can help hold each pair locked in their box.

Google Images "widowhood nest boxes" and you will see pictures of how they should look.

think i see what your asking m8 the widowhood plastic fronts can be used for pigeons on widowhood or pigeons on natural flying one side is just plastic spars the other side the same but with a sliding door when the box is closed the two halfs cover the front of the nestbox which keeps the birds out the box when there not breeding and in this position gives the pair plenty of room when you pair your birds together you can leave the pair locked in like this for a day or two to make sure they mate and to get them used to there box after a day or two take the cock out and turn the half with the door to the inside this now halfs the box in two with the hen in the closed off half this will allow the cock to see his hen and fly up into the other half of the box but he can not get into the hen this gets him used to flying in and out of his own box after a few hours you can open the sliding door and clip it at the top in the open position so the pair can both get in and out of the box together you now add a nestbowl to the closed half and from then on the door is in the opened position at all times so birds can get into the half with the bowl lay eggs and rear youngbirds lots of cocks sit in the open half of the box while his hen sits on the eggs so he can chase other birds away that come near there box thats the funtion of the widowhood front with natural birds when flying widowhood the front is in the same position so the cock lives in his open half of the box and his hen can be put in the other half locked in till he gets home but lots of variations in this system but thats the main function of the widowhood front as best as i can explain it to someone who does not know what it is hope this is what your looking for m8

Edited by walterboswell59

think i see what your asking m8 the widowhood plastic fronts can be used for pigeons on widowhood or pigeons on natural flying one side is just plastic spars the other side the same but with a sliding door when the box is closed the two halfs cover the front of the nestbox which keeps the birds out the box when there not breeding and in this position gives the pair plenty of room when you pair your birds together you can leave the pair locked in like this for a day or two to make sure they mate and to get them used to there box after a day or two take the cock out and turn the half with the door to the inside this now halfs the box in two with the hen in the closed off half this will allow the cock to see his hen and fly up into the other half of the box but he can not get into the hen this gets him used to flying in and out of his own box after a few hours you can open the sliding door and clip it at the top in the open position so the pair can both get in and out of the box together you now add a nestbowl to the closed half and from then on the door is in the opened position at all times so birds can get into the half with the bowl lay eggs and rear youngbirds lots of cocks sit in the open half of the box while his hen sits on the eggs so he can chase other birds away that come near there box thats the funtion of the widowhood front with natural birds when flying widowhood the front is in the same position so the cock lives in his open half of the box and his hen can be put in the other half locked in till he gets home but lots of variations in this system but thats the main function of the widowhood front as best as i can explain it to someone who does not know what it is hope this is what your looking for m8

Well done Walter

well answered again walter,

Walter i really appreciate the explannation mate thats perfect...this is all new to me and not being the brightest spark i often need the dot to dot approach :D but i couldnt ask for more thankyou sir i,ll probably refer back to this a few times over the coming weeks.