Embarrassing Question

I havent joined a club yet and dont know anybody else into pigeons so pretty much everything im learning is off the internet but theres one question i cant find answers to that im afraid to ask through fear of someone blowing a raspberry at me :blush:

How do you tell if a pigeon is a cock or a hen ?....be gentle with me.

The cocks don't lay eggs ;) Cocks will blow them selves out as well and coo more ;) cocks usually have bigger wattles than the hens ;) Cocks tend to have a rounder head and hen more flatter square looking ;) The only daft question is one left unasked ;)

Never be embarrassed to ask, we all have to learn somehow. I find it easier to ask the 'daft' questions on here rather than down at the club!

There are a number of ways to sex pigeons, BUT the only foolproof way is to get fertilised eggs from two birds kept in isolation! I've kept pigeons, racers and fancies for 20 years and even now the odd one fools me. More so with the fancies than the racers. It comes with experience and watching their behaviours, you soon get to recognise cockish and henish behaviour, but don't be embarrassed about getting it wrong.

Best of luck. And welcome!

Lee

I havent joined a club yet and dont know anybody else into pigeons so pretty much everything im learning is off the internet but theres one question i cant find answers to that im afraid to ask through fear of someone blowing a raspberry at me :blush:

LOl !! Don't be embarrassed mate theres guys in my club who have been racing for years and they still canna sex their birds ??? :blink::wacko:

Well that wasnt as painful as id expected thanks for your patience :D.....I only have a handful of birds and have been staring at them trying to tell but am none the wiser i guess its just a time/experience thing.

Another thing i dont get is when people say " the hen lays eggs "....yes but whats the odds on seeing the eggs actually come out or do people go by the cock sits on them at night and hen during the day as the only factor.

The hen sits at night and the cock during the late morning / afternoon. Prior to this, the cock shows up to the hen in a different manner to the way she shows to him. He is usually more flamboyant than her when he struts his stuff. He is also is the one on top when mating, although two cocks will mate as will two hens, thus the need for the eggs which confirm that you have definitely got a hen. One hen usually two eggs, two hens, usually four eggs. :)

Dont be embaressed about that , wee VMS on here dosent know a doo from a duck never mind a cock from a hen lol he only right down what the gaffer tells him on the sheet lol

I knew of a bird that was sent to and won the national as a hen only to turn out to be a cock

Mind you their were women in Blackpool that used the gents urinals lol

naw that was the fechsn cross dresser lads in drag Mick lol

Dont be embaressed about that , wee VMS on here dosent know a doo from a duck never mind a cock from a hen lol he only right down what the gaffer tells him on the sheet lol

[/color]

naw that was the fechsn cross dresser lads in drag Mick lol

Your mistaken Hans,I Can tell a cock strait away am Quoteing wan. :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

The hen sits at night and the cock during the late morning / afternoon. Prior to this, the cock shows up to the hen in a different manner to the way she shows to him. He is usually more flamboyant than her when he struts his stuff. He is also is the one on top when mating, although two cocks will mate as will two hens, thus the need for the eggs which confirm that you have definitely got a hen. One hen usually two eggs, two hens, usually four eggs. :)

Right i see thanks.....so for a novice like me who cant sex his birds i presume i just have to let them crack on and choose their own partner i only have 5 birds at the moment i,ll be buying a few more in obviously but would like to breed a few of these,also once a pair breed will they then only breed with each other or go and find another mate.

Right i see thanks.....so for a novice like me who cant sex his birds i presume i just have to let them crack on and choose their own partner i only have 5 birds at the moment i,ll be buying a few more in obviously but would like to breed a few of these,also once a pair breed will they then only breed with each other or go and find another mate.

Pigeons usally mate for life when they pair, but there are occasions when they will seek a new partner but not very often.