Where To Buy From

Dalesman

Now for the next stage - what do I need equipment wise for the loft and where do I purchase good quality stock birds (I only plan to keep a max. of 3 pairs) ? Is it worth buying from the continent or am i as well off buying here in the UK ?

What do I need to spend per bird to get something that has a chance ?

Is it reasonable to buy a pair for 1)sprint, 2)middle distance 3)long distance or should I concentrate on the requirements of local club races ?

theres a number of suppliers who advertise on site. right hand side at top , click on links .that will be your accesories sorted.

as regards stock , i would look at your feds racing programme , if the main programme is only 2 or 300 miles then that will help you decide what distance to buy for , and good luck. :animatedpigeons:

theres a number of suppliers who advertise on site. right hand side at top , click on links .that will be your accesories sorted.

as regards stock , i would look at your feds racing programme , if the main programme is only 2 or 300 miles then that will help you decide what distance to buy for , and good luck. :animatedpigeons:

Any advice where or who to buy from ?

Go to your local fanciers who are nearly always in the result wait till end of season you may be able to pick up a bargain or two and try to get some stock if no good the try further afield at the end of the day it depends on your flying distances and how much you want to spend why not wait till end of season and look at entire clearance sales always worth a look all the best dom mccoy

The whole idea of Stock Birds is to provide you with winners. So I think it is obvious that the best Stock birds are birds that have demonstrated that they can win by actually winning. It follows that there are two likely sources of birds that can help you by breeding quality birds. The first being from an Entire Clearance Sale where you can see the birds and the prize cards. The second is when you buy a group of youngsters from a good loft with results to back up the quality of the birds on offer. If you decide to do it by buying youngsters it is important that you race the birds and assess their value by the way they race. The worse possible idea is to buy birds to breed from that come from a non-racing loft. It is true that some non raced birds do breed winners but the longer the line of non racers the longer the odds that the winning genes will be present in the individual birds. A gamble indeed.

In addition to what I have said above you should also try to obtain pigeons that have shown their worth in the type of competition that you intend to compete in. If you want to sprint then concentrate on finding sprinters ans so on. You will often find that just the same as with race horses crossing sprinters with distance birds can and does result in sprinters that are too slow to win sprints and lack enough stamina to win distance races. So the best idea is to keep like with like.

If you do decide to buy a non winning bird try to make it a hen that has produced winners. It is a fact that some females are able to breed winners when paired to a male with strong performance behind them. If you are lucky enough to find a female that passes on these winning qualities to her offspring then it will be your lucky day because hens like that are worth their weight in gold.

Now for the next stage - what do I need equipment wise for the loft and where do I purchase good quality stock birds (I only plan to keep a max. of 3 pairs) ? Is it worth buying from the continent or am i as well off buying here in the UK ?

What do I need to spend per bird to get something that has a chance ?

Is it reasonable to buy a pair for 1)sprint, 2)middle distance 3)long distance or should I concentrate on the requirements of local club races ?

I would echo what the others have said, look at who's getting good results in your area at the distance you want to compete at and see if you can obtain birds direct from them or find out where they got their birds from and got there. Otherwise looking further afield the same applies look at the results of what the breeders pigeons are achieving and if it is what you want, give them a call.