"bops"

VAGIN

I had sent 20 birds for there 1st race yesterday to Brechin Up till now I have 14 back 6 which have been hawked that accounts for one third of the birds I had at the race. I dont know if I wish tso continue the rest of the Y/B programe as I feel sick of whats still to come. I dont suppose Im the only one that this happened to yesterday. Dont sit in silence and hope the bop problem will go away get online now and express your views I dont know what the answer is but Im sure the SHU could take a more active roll than there are doing now. If this continue' there will be no pigeon racing in the future.

I had 6 in one race The race yesterday was a stiff one with very low velocities .Ive heard fanciers saying it was too hot or they must have clashed I think the BOPS had a big big part to play. Its that time of year when they are teaching there young how to hunt and a easy meal is our Y/Bs

Had a hen peregrine among my old birds yesterday,luckily the young birds were not out and better still no casualties for a change.

Lucky you! I think if they get a sniff that theres birds in your loft As Arnie say's " Ill be Back"

I had 6 in one race The race yesterday was a stiff one with very low velocities .Ive heard fanciers saying it was too hot or they must have clashed I think the BOPS had a big big part to play. Its that time of year when they are teaching there young how to hunt and a easy meal is our Y/Bs

2 yrs back i had 5 birds return from race hawked tail out wing out hole in back etc for 5 weeks on the trot , thats 25 pigeons expletive remove so i know where your comming from i almost got rid of the lot then .

There is only one way peregrines are doing so well and that is because we supply them with prime meat when they are rearing young and training their young to kill.

We need to change our racing and breeding schedules and then they will decimate the songbird population.

Then and only then will their numbers be controlled.

We are our own worst enemy.

I had sent 20 birds for there 1st race yesterday to Brechin Up till now I have 14 back 6 which have been hawked that accounts for one third of the birds I had at the race. I dont know if I wish tso continue the rest of the Y/B programe as I feel sick of whats still to come. I dont suppose Im the only one that this happened to yesterday. Dont sit in silence and hope the bop problem will go away get online now and express your views I dont know what the answer is but Im sure the SHU could take a more active roll than there are doing now. If this continue' there will be no pigeon racing in the future.

Not good m8,unfortunately the SHU had 15 years going down the political route with plenty time,money and effort to basically draw a blank :( . We can only hope fanciers from the other home nations can come up with a plan B :(

There is only one way peregrines are doing so well and that is because we supply them with prime meat when they are rearing young and training their young to kill.

We need to change our racing and breeding schedules and then they will decimate the songbird population.

Novice i agree with you in theory but when would you change racing/breeding schedules to ? I got rid of all my pigeons last year due to the problems i was suffering but have just got a few late breeds as its not the same without them.

agree ive said this a number of times

the SHU fought for years and spent thousands trying to get something done, now all UNIONS are together in the Alliance, we are supposed to report all attacks to them, but do we ????

I know we are our own worst enemy If we bred less their would be less food for the Bops If we all kept our birds locked up in the winter their would be less food for them. But its the same old story with fanciers if Tam down the street breeds 50 birds Wullie at the top of the street will breed 70 just to try and beat him

I think that the fancier that races by numbers contributes a lot of meals for the bops The more birds bred the easier it is for the bops to get a good easy feed Practice makes perfection and with so many birds in the sky they get all the practise they want as they are top of the food chain

As i asked Novice ive seen this on a few posts when would u change to ?

Here are my ideas.

There is no doubt the raptor problem is a very large threat to our dying sport.

We need to fight this on all fronts.

The raptor protection legislation was introduced to stop them from becoming extinct. This is no longer a serious possibility. Instead they have become a nuisance.

The raptor population now far outnumber the natural food source. They prosper because we feed them domestic pigeon. Now if the supply of pigeon were to be restricted at times of peak demand then the raptor would decimate the song bird population and the RSPB would be forced to take action to protect other native species. We can move the equilibrium of this equation legally by rearranging our breeding and training schedules to restrict the availability of pigeon at peak times.

We should not be racing or training pigeons during late July and the entire month of August when Percy is killing for fun.

We should not have birds loft flying during the month of February when the hen Sparrow hawk is particularly active.

We need to breed early young and condense the race program (while still enjoying the same number of races). We can do this by breeding early and having a period when both old and young bird races overlap. Mid-week racing should also be a feature of the condensed schedule.

The RSPB powers may be far reaching but they will never be able to alter the biological clock of their pet killers. On the other hand, given central coordination, we have the power to alter our schedules for a few years to achieve our objective.

Guest bigda

with a yearly income of some 30 million the RSPB have people in high places to deliver there verdict of there choice, like every time a bop is killed bingo its on the telly, that is our market and we must pay for it to be put on the telly also. fight fire with fire, and why is it when heard on the telly, every one talks about it and says did you see that on the telly, and they believe what they hear on the telly. properly done we have the proof they don't so alarm bells will ring and the public purse strings might get cut for the RSPB what price a good advert every month just a concerned advert to let the public know, and the advert can ask what is killing these war heroes of ours when the day might come for there use once more should there be satellites taken out and all lines of communications in a event of a war we can ask will there be any pigeons left or keepers of racing pigeons left we know there will be no lies on our part, so we can not get taken down. emoticon-0167-beer.gif yes we have the proof with birds damaged or killed they dont

lads there is only one answer and we all know what that is, " A CULL " (a managed cull) to level out the playing field because as it stands there will be very little pigeon racing in the years to come if things continue on the present path,

john

As much as I hate them they are doing what's natural, pigeons breed any number of clutches to survive whereas predators only breed one clutch as they are the top of the food chain. I you send a number of pigeons up when they are looking for food to raise their young them train them to hunt they are going to take it and they young are going to survive a lot more adding to our problem.

Pigeon racing has to change to combat this or the problem will continue and not only that it will grow as we have seen in recent years, Bigda is right(I can't believe I am saying that) but the money machine of the RSPB won't bat an eyelid if pigeon racing is obliterated from britain. they will take notice if their wee cute pamphlet cover song birds get decimated as they they make millions from us buying into feeding and housing them in our gardens creating more income for them, but if their 1,000,000 members at £3.00 a pop on top of all their merchandise complained then they would do something about it.

Will pigeon men ever agree to change, well not yet, because speaking out is demonised incase you rock the boat of a one way Titanic and we all know how that turned out

Edited by DOVEScot

I agree that money is power. I also agree that the fancier is his own worst enemy. Yet in life we try to be goody two shoes , how many time are we asked to donate birds for this charity or that charity I know some are personal and we try to help our own kin. We run the biggest pigeon show in the world. What do we do with the profit give it away to charity, with no publicity A wee photo in the H/W Very good . How many charities do the RSPB donate to A big fat nil They would rather stand with the bucket out and beg from the public . £3 a month could make a diffrence thats there fav add. I dont have any answers but its time we did something or there will be a lot of pigeon lofts for sale on EBAY

I agree that money is power. I also agree that the fancier is his own worst enemy. Yet in life we try to be goody two shoes , how many time are we asked to donate birds for this charity or that charity I know some are personal and we try to help our own kin. We run the biggest pigeon show in the world. What do we do with the profit give it away to charity, with no publicity A wee photo in the H/W Very good . How many charities do the RSPB donate to A big fat nil They would rather stand with the bucket out and beg from the public . £3 a month could make a diffrence thats there fav add. I dont have any answers but its time we did something or there will be a lot of pigeon lofts for sale on EBAY

We should use the power of this site to raise awareness, admin should be campaigning and pushing for change not just worrying about site statistics and upsetting people, I know it is hard to change but we have a strong voice if we use it, Basics is still regarded as the voice of pigeon fanciers throughout the world

Guest bigda

the first step all the pigeon unions should do is get 1 million glossy leaflets made with racing pigeons shown to be killed along side a photo of a thrush, a blackbird, and any bird that is a endangered species, we then issues these leaflets to all federations to issue to clubs to then put through peoples doors on a one week window, date to be agreed, these leaflets will not be that expencive to buy, and we do not need to mention the RSPB as the culprit, all we need to do is spend our time describing what is happning to the back garden birds and the killers out in the farm lands, we could mention as there aint much left out in the country side that perigrines are now emoticon-0123-party.gif moving into towns as there is very little birds left for them to eatemoticon-0138-thinking.gif and it is starting to show and it now got out of hand, and if clubs buy them at say 20p a copy then that, moneys going for the next issue a month later, and so on we put a wee sniped on it about, the dickens medal holders, will soon see the public have a interest and they might like to subscribe to our cause.

the first step all the pigeon unions should do is get 1 million glossy leaflets made with racing pigeons shown to be killed along side a photo of a thrush, a blackbird, and any bird that is a endangered species, we then issues these leaflets to all federations to issue to clubs to then put through peoples doors on a one week window, date to be agreed, these leaflets will not be that expencive to buy, and we do not need to mention the RSPB as the culprit, all we need to do is spend our time describing what is happning to the back garden birds and the killers out in the farm lands, we could mention as there aint much left out in the country side that perigrines are now emoticon-0123-party.gif moving into towns as there is very little birds left for them to eatemoticon-0138-thinking.gif and it is starting to show and it now got out of hand, and if clubs buy them at say 20p a copy then that, moneys going for the next issue a month later, and so on a wee sniped on it about the dickens medal holders, will soon see the public have a interest and they might like to subscribe to our cause.

Thanks for your thoughts This is a good Idea DOING SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN SITTING SILENCE AND WATCHING OUR HOBBY GOING DOWN THE LAVVY