Percy Sites

WulDon

would be fanciers be good enough to post up the where abouts of 'percy' sites in Fife and around the Forth areas please?

as young bird training will be increasing over these coming weeks, we have to give our youngsters every fighting chance and hopefully dodging nearby sites should help??

already some horror stories being heard of fanciers getting wiped out from very short distances, its a worry!

There is one at Balgonie Castle on the edge of Glenrothes on the A911 to Windygates and they have raised a few young in their time, The Laird of Nobody Cares uses it a marketing tool for his events and tells guests it is for keeping down the vermin pigeons

Guest Owen

Sadly there are becoming less and less falcon free areas. In this area it is nightmare because the worry is not about training young pigeons it is about getting them into the air in the first place. We have a falcon that will ignore old pigeons but take youngsters all the time. You can bet that when your youngsters start to fly about just before they start to kit the falcon will pluck them out of the air with ease.

Guest Hey Presto

pair in guardbridge pair at arncroach one at tower in st Andrews pair at kennoway pair at methil

where do we toss tobe safe

Guest Owen

Well I think I have seen it all now. My Mate's youngsters have been attacked by the Falcon at about house roof level every time he lets them out. He started with 30 odd but now he is down to 20. The rest of them have either been taken by the falcon or have been scared away by it. The result is that his youngsters will not fly. Some of them will circle the house but a lot of them just go to the roof and wait until they can come back to the loft again. My Mate has tried everything including shaking feed bags at them with his Son in Law helping. This morning my Mate had had enough and took them to a point 3 or 4 miles away and let them go. Apparently they walked out of the crate and made no attempt to take off until they were literally kicked up into the air. My Mate drove off after watching them flying around a tree and not trying to head for home. When he got home there was one in the loft but no sign of the others so he left the loft open and went to buy some parts for his motor bike thinking that that was the last he would see of his pigeons. 5 1/2 hours later they all turned up bar 3. This included the birds that had never even circled the home area but just refused to fly at all. All these years I have been thinking that it is important for youngsters to get up and fly in bunches before they can cope with training. It seems I have been wrong.

most of the falcon attacks i see now are at roof level hunting similar to the goshawk or sparrow hawk its been a while since i seen the the 180 mile per hour stoop i think falcons have changed there hunting tactics maybe not in the country side where there is loads of open ground def in around towns and cites they hunt a lot lower :emoticon-0138-thinking:

most of the falcon attacks i see now are at roof level hunting similar to the goshawk or sparrow hawk its been a while since i seen the the 180 mile per hour stoop i think falcons have changed there hunting tactics maybe not in the country side where there is loads of open ground def in around towns and cites they hunt a lot lower :emoticon-0138-thinking:

They been doing that up here for a long time diving in between houses after pigeons have watched it take place on a number of occasions but that pair seems to have moved to another nest site as not seen them the past year they wiped out the lad along the road from me fantails ,getting harder now

Guest theflyingscotsman

there is a pair down the A1 at torness power station another pair hunting down the A7 at fountainhall quarry there is a pair hunting in east lothian i seen the cock hunting over ormiston on saturday and the hen hunting last thursday :emoticon-0179-headbang: