Twisted Neck, Walking In Circles?

wonder whats this is..... two birds in 2 days. One of this years first round, and one of the stock cocks. They appear to have a twisted neck, and have lost the sence or orientation, and just fumble about walking in circles.....I killed the cock as I knew it was not well at all, but the yb still looks ok and is feeding well....Any ideas please?? p.s ybs have already been innoculated. I have issolated it, but wonder whats wrong and what if anything can be done?

Many thanks

Guest Owen

I sounds like Paramixo to me but even if it is not you should vaccinate all your birds as soon as you can. I had a problem with a bird that I bought. It had a crop full of water and stopped eating. I vaccinated it with de Weerd vaccine twice one week apart and the bird has recovered. According to Henk de Weerd the vaccinations help to build up the bird's immune system which helps even in cases of Young Bird Sickness. From what I can see he was dead right. From now on all my youngsters will be vaccinated when I wean them and then again 4 weeks later. I will also make sure that my stock birds are vaccinated before the breeding season, something I have never bothered with before. I see no point at all in rearing young pigeons that are not in the best of health because they cost money to rear and there is little or no chance of them winning anything.

I sounds like Paramixo to me but even if it is not you should vaccinate all your birds as soon as you can. I had a problem with a bird that I bought. It had a crop full of water and stopped eating. I vaccinated it with de Weerd vaccine twice one week apart and the bird has recovered. According to Henk de Weerd the vaccinations help to build up the bird's immune system which helps even in cases of Young Bird Sickness. From what I can see he was dead right. From now on all my youngsters will be vaccinated when I wean them and then again 4 weeks later. I will also make sure that my stock birds are vaccinated before the breeding season, something I have never bothered with before. I see no point at all in rearing young pigeons that are not in the best of health because they cost money to rear and there is little or no chance of them winning anything.

i agree 100% owen with all the above and have been vaccinating mine twice now for a few years following advice from a vet also

The youngster is a puzzle. PMV incubation time is 3+ weeks, and I think head-twisting etc is the advanced stage, so take even longer to show? These symptoms fit a number of diseases, I'd isolate that youngster and take it to vet live ASAP for autopsy.

Once encountered a problem with a stock bird showing the same symptoms with walking around in circles with a twisted neck ,I rang a very good friend and explained the facts stating they were never out of that section and had not mixed with others ,his reply was simple you have a mouse in the loft,I argued that there were no mice in this loft and was told by my friend to go and check which i did,he was 100% correct as i found a mouse in a storage area ,once the mouse had been disposed of and i had found where it had got in ,I then disposed of the pigeon and never encountered that again ,so be careful and don't always blame the obvious as mice are terrible carriers of disease as they urinate almost non stop and pigeons will readily pick at there droppings .

wonder whats this is..... two birds in 2 days. One of this years first round, and one of the stock cocks. They appear to have a twisted neck, and have lost the sence or orientation, and just fumble about walking in circles.....I killed the cock as I knew it was not well at all, but the yb still looks ok and is feeding well....Any ideas please?? p.s ybs have already been innoculated. I have issolated it, but wonder whats wrong and what if anything can be done?

Many thanks

Had the same 6yrs ago,its Paratyphoid,get to the vet and ask for Baytril its about £55 per bottle

but it cures in minutes.

Guest strapper

i would strongly advise you to have the bird and fresh droppings tested.

this could be a simple matter to deal with or it could be a more serious one that you have no choice but to deal with.

seek a vet asap.

a vet will stop you wondering and give you piece of mind knowing what it is!!

PARATYPHOID IS CARRIED BY MICE AND RATS AND SOME TIMES AN INFECTED BIRD

WHICH CAN BE A CARRIER AND SHOW NO SIGNS. I HAVE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF THE LATTER

WHICH WAS BIRDS I PURCHASED FOR STOCK.IF CAUGHT IN TIME BAYTRILL WILL WORK BUT

THE BEST PRODUCT IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON IT IS DE WEERDS PARA STOP.KEEP

YOUR EYES OPEN FOR TRAILING WINGS AND SWOLLEN WING OR LEG JOINTS AS THESE ARE TELL TAIL SIGNS

AND AT THIS POINT THE ONLY CURE IS THE BIG LOFT IN THE SKY