New Hawk Attack Page

preston powerblast

Hi all, I just thought I'd let you know that I have now made a new Hawk Attack Page, this isn't just a page with a map. It's a page that is going to contain hawk attack information with pictures of injured and killed birds. I would appreciate your help setting it up, by sending me your Hawk Attack reports and pictures if possible. Just email me your photos and I will put them on.

Maybe this will have more impact.

Give me your thoughts guys.

http://saveourracingpigeons.yolasite.com/hawk-attacks-2012.php

Cheers mate, I just though it may have more of an impact this way and as the list builds, it will be horrific.

I think it should be shown, as the other side are all in favour of showing this kind of thing with Bops.

It's just a thought that maybe it's time they see the damage instead of a pointer on a map.

It's just been brought to my attention, that you have been quite negative about our action from day one.

Why this is I don't know.

On your News page, as bold as you like RAPTORS, people thought hooray at last.

But no, it's just the drivvel spouted off from the RPRA.

Ive spoken to the RPRA and exchanged emails quite a few times with them.

Apparently they speak half truths, a bit like politicians do when they pacify people.

They talk, they talk, they talk,

They take money, they talk.

They give back to the fancy what exactly?

It was once boasted that the RPRA had lots of funds for legal action if it ever came to it.

Is trying to get a law changed, not deemed as legal action?

Is it now true that the fancy needs help now, not in 18 months time.

They have the power to create great many things and achieve so much, why aren't they doing it?

Why are fanciers being kept constantly in the dark?

well I read what is in the BHW, also its the confederation that has all unions together, and dont know who brought it to your attention I am not interested, I signed your petition I put your site on the basics Face book you are getting the site to use which you have 3 threads on the subject and pinned on the notice board, and what I have put on the news desk is news m8, so what are the owners of the other sites doing that I am not, this site had members start a BOP committee before m8, went big, website, bank account (dont know if they had money in it) what happened I dont know it just disappeared, so dont say we are not interested, I will quote from the BHW quote:(All the Homing unions are now working together)and have a united voice,"last year we had a meeting with a goverment MP- he has facilitated a meeting with the Governmental Ministers DEFRA advisors which took place on the 22nd February.etc etc,unquote: dont want to copy too much, but in my book m8 thats news,I work 24/7 keeping this site going so at age 78 think I do well, but if you can prove to me that the news in the BHW is wrong then I will get in touch with them, also would like to point out that your sentence re the RPRA are your words not mine as what you must understand this site is watched by all, and its me that gets the hammer,I worked for 4 years on the council of the SHU re hawks m8, and still hope one day we can be rid of them legally, I thought I was doing well but as said let me know what other site owners are doing that I am not,

well said gary, the rpra have decided eventually to make the right noises, maybe its because they have finally realised the members are losing patience with them and seeing them for what they are...........lets see what updates they give us and what they achieve over the next few months, personally i think it will be very little,

the members of this site have done the fancy proud, but im afraid in my opinion the admin could have backed the petition more, it was said that some couldnt find the link to the petition, and suggestions to create a banner/link which was easily found were ignored.......dont get me wrong, this is a great site, but admin on other small sites with 500 members tried more. JMO

Fair point and thank you.

I am a little niggled at the RPRA, 4 weeks ago I spoke with Stewart Wardrop, he said he is full support of this action.

Yet he speaks nothing of it.

I spoke to Lee Fribbins, who also said that the was going to put something in the Racing Pigeon about the petition.

It never appeared.

I know this has been tried before and many have failed.

I was not involved.

People that know me, will all tell you the same thing, as with anything I do, I either commit 100% or not at all.

I have worked around the clock now on this, everything that has been done has been for free.

I have not asked the fancy for a single penny and everything that has been done and achieved has not cost a penny.

Am I doing this for myself?

No. I am doing it for the many fanciers out there, who are by the day suffering from seeing their best pigeons mutilated and killed by a creature that is over protected and over populated.

I have spoken with many people including some from the RSPB, DEFRA, Natural England, BTO, Raptor Groups, Gamekeepers, Falconry entusiasts, Aviaculturists,Pigeon fanciers.

One thing that the majority have said, is drop the songbirds angle on our protest as they have said it's a horse that won't run.

That is why it's gone nowhere in the last ten years and although predation is a contributing factor, it's not the main factor.

They also told me, to provide conclusive evidence that pigeons are being attacked on a daily basis, on their pigeon lofts.

This should deemed as fanciers action concerning only attacks on pigeons.

Believe me much is being done behind the scenes and believe it or not people who in the past have been very unsympathetic are now beginning to open their eyes.

I have studied every angle on the planet, I also have used many contacts that I do have in the conservation world. As I too have done much for these groups and yes for free, when they have asked for my help.

I have also been told that if we can prove that the sparrowhawk is as big as a problem as we say, then they will listen.

For this is why I am asking for the help of every fancier in the country to help with this, by reporting every attack to me and taking photographs if at all possible.

By the way, this was not my idea it was given to me by someone else, non pigeon fancier.

All that I can say, is we have well in excess 700 signatures and it's rising.

If this action does fail, then every fancier who has got behind it should feel proud of themselves for at least trying.

I will keep every fancier up to date, every step of the way.

well said gary, the rpra have decided eventually to make the right noises, maybe its because they have finally realised the members are losing patience with them and seeing them for what they are...........lets see what updates they give us and what they achieve over the next few months, personally i think it will be very little,

the members of this site have done the fancy proud, but im afraid in my opinion the admin could have backed the petition more, it was said that some couldnt find the link to the petition, and suggestions to create a banner/link which was easily found were ignored.......dont get me wrong, this is a great site, but admin on other small sites with 500 members tried more. JMO

This site has give some support to the cause some support is better than none so i think to attack this site because another sites doing more is out of order guys its a great way to lose support jmo.

Hi all, I just thought I'd let you know that I have now made a new Hawk Attack Page, this isn't just a page with a map. It's a page that is going to contain hawk attack information with pictures of injured and killed birds. I would appreciate your help setting it up, by sending me your Hawk Attack reports and pictures if possible. Just email me your photos and I will put them on.

Maybe this will have more impact.

Give me your thoughts guys.

http://saveourracingpigeons.yolasite.com/hawk-attacks-2012.php

Keep up the good work, :emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping:

I'm not attacking this site mate I am just making an observation and speaking my mind.

I think this is a very good one and am not mentioning anything about other sites.

I have been a member on here since 2005.

I just feel that sometimes that there is just some negativity about it.

I appreciate any support given, but at the end of the day this action is for the fanciers, not me personally.

But if every fancier in the country, worked as hard as I do, then by now maybe we would have achieved much.

But at the moment my head is spinning with much confusion.

The RPRA say they support this action, yet we get no support publicly.

I ask if I have done anything wrong, I'm told keep up the good work.

Over seven hundred fanciers agree we want action the other 43,300 are undecided.

Maybe many are right and sport is doomed and maybe we should all get our fishing rods out.

Why do pigeon fanciers have to knock each other AND KEEP SPLITTING INTO SMALLER GROUPS if all got together AS one and all put there good work together we might just might get somewhere but if all the in house bickering keeps going on we will get nothing done.

a LITTLE HELP IS BETTER THAN NONE

This site has give some support to the cause some support is better than none so i think to attack this site because another sites doing more is out of order guys its a great way to lose support jmo.

not attacking the site/admin, nor its members in any way.........as you will see in my post. i am merely pointing out that some members have previously stated they cannot find the link to the petition, i gave my opinion on what COULD solve the problem.

in fairness Archie posted it on the pigeon basics fb page which i dont think that was a idea posted on the notice board Archie done that himself that went on over 1000 peoples pages with the threads on here one pinned on notice board i think also by Archie the recent sales and all the other administration work that needs to be done on site validating new members stopping spammers just a small part which takes up a bit of time in its self the threads and fb will do more than any banner jmo archie will go out of his way to help members any way he can even if he dont agree 100% with what the member is doing (and im not saying he does not) as we cant all agree on everything sometimes people find one little thing turn it into something else to suit there own agenda and probably noting to do with the cause at all pity some people (saints) come on here to post negative comments where a all out positive attitude is what is needed which on the forum and fb etc has been shown by the site

lets just move on and help preston in his cause with constructive comments ;)

The next course of action I think should be at the top of list is:

Forget all other the other species of Raptors for the present time and focus on which I do believe is going to be a priority.

That is The Sparrowhawk attacking our birds on our lofts and within our gardens and loft vicinity.

The way we have to do this is simple.

WE HAVE TO PROVIDE STRONG EVIDENCE THAT THERE IS A HUGE POPULATION OF URBAN SPARROWHAWKS IN OUR INDIVIDUAL AREAS OF THE COUNTRY AND THE IMPACT THAT THIS PREDATION IS HAVING ON OUR RACING PIGEON AS A WHOLE.

WE HAVE TO HAVE A CLEAR AND CONCISE NUMBERS OF THESE PREDATION LOSSES, REPORTS AS WELL AS PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE.

TRY TO INVOLVE GROUPS LIKE THE BTO AND OTHER VOLUNTARY RINGING GROUPS TO ENGAGE WITH US AND WORKING WITHIN THE VICINITY OF PIGEON LOFTS WERE PREDATION IS HIGH.

A REVIEW OF TRAPPING LICENCES TO ABLE BOTH GROUPS TO ENGAGE IN THIS ACTIVITY.

WE NEED THIS TO BE ABLE TO GET A GOOD FIGURE COUNT OF THESE BIRD NUMBERS. WE NEED TO PROVIDE EVIDENCE OF SPARROWHAWK NESTING SAMPLES - BROOD SURVEYS ETC.

WE NEED TO MAP OUT TERRITORIES OF THE SPARROWHAWK AS THESE ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO PROVING THAT THERE IS IN FACT AN OVERPOPULATION OF THE SPECIES. THE NATIONAL FIGURE OF THESE TERRITORIES ARE BETWEEN HALF A KM

TO TWO KM PER PAIR DEPENDING ON FOOD AVAILABILITY. SMALL TERRITORIES CONTAINING HIGH SATURATION NUMBERS WOULD ALSO REINFORCE OUR CLAIMS.

THIS RESEARCH OF TRAP RELEASE RINGING WOULD ENABLE US TO HAVE THIS RESEARCH PEER REVIEWED TO HAVE IT BECOME ADMISSIBLE.

THIS SORT OF RESEARCH WOULD ALSO CAUSE SOME SLIGHT DISRUPTION TO THE SPECIES WHICH OFFER SOME RELIEF IN THE SHORT TERM UNTIL SOME LONG TERM OBJECTIVES COULD BE CLEARLY PROPOSED.

BECAUSE ALL OF THIS RESEARCH WOULD BE CARRIED BY JOINT VOLUNTARY GROUPS, THEIR WOULD BE NO HIGH COSTS INVOLVED LIKE IN PREVIOUS STUDIES. MAYBE GRANTS COULD BE APPLIED FOR FOR THE COSTS OF THE TRAPPING LICENCES AND TRAPS, RINGING EQUIPMENT ETC

Keep it up Gary. The troops will rally eventually, but they may need to see that this time is not like the previous ones. This one will not fizzle out.

Contact your local councillors, they are seeking re-election. Notify all attacks complete with photographic evidence if possible. This can be done through the clubs. Encourage petition signing.