Scottish Yb Derby Christchurch 1960

alec guinness

ANOTHER WEE TOUCH OF NOSTALGIA WITH ALL FANCIERS FLYING OVER 350 MILES.LIB 8.30 CHRISTCHURCH

1ST G MCNEIL & SON PORT SETON TIMED 4.46 VEL 1294

2ND J FURNESS BONNYRIGG VEL 1279

3RD ROBERTSON BROS MILLERHILL

4TH W HOGARTH & SON DANDERHALL

5TH GILMOUR BROS MARKINCH

6TH G HERRIOT & SON BONNYRIGG

7TH ELMS & HILTON MILLERHILL

19TH & 21ST BERT HUNTER ALVA

20TH JIM ROSS UPHALL

26TH FERGUSON BROS & FORSYTH COWIE TOP MONEY WINNER £138.00

THE WEST SECTION SUFFERED FROM PREVAILING CONDITIONS WITH ONE BIRD RECORDED ON THE DAY TO J HOLLIS EAST KILBRIDE,THE FOLLOWING WEST SECTION FANCIERS RECORDED 2ND DAY BIRDS C WILSON PAISLEY,P MURPHY CAMBUSLANG,M & J WALLER PAISLEY.

YOUNG BIRD RACING IN SCOTLAND 1960!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

THOUGHT THIS BLAST FROM THE PAST WOULD BE OF INTEREST WITH SOME WELL KENT NAMES :)

I take it that is Christchurch in Dorset, why do the Scottish fancy fly their youngsters over such distances, I think 200mls. is plenty for youngsters and I've lost plenty at that

just a wee bit of nostalgia from 1960 showing that youngsters were flying from the south coast of england back then. :) :) :) :)

I like these old results and these kind of topics show that top performances have and can be put up in every part of the country :)

Another point that stands out to me anyway is that the fanciers/areas nowadays that seem to be dominating the SNFC results(not just the YB nat)are,with a few exceptions,the ones who send their YB's the furthest in their young bird season :emoticon-0138-thinking:

I take it that is Christchurch in Dorset, why do the Scottish fancy fly their youngsters over such distances, I think 200mls. is plenty for youngsters and I've lost plenty at that

take it by your post that if you lived in the n/east you wouldnt be sending to our open race at the end of the young bird season lille france.

I like these old results and these kind of topics show that top performances have and can be put up in every part of the country :)

Another point that stands out to me anyway is that the fanciers/areas nowadays that seem to be dominating the SNFC results(not just the YB nat)are,with a few exceptions,the ones who send their YB's the furthest in their young bird season :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Very good point, just shows that youngsters that fly that sort of mileage are good ones

take it by your post that if you lived in the n/east you wouldnt be sending to our open race at the end of the young bird season lille france.

I'm not saying I wouldn't send 1 or 2, but I do think of y/bird racing as training for racing as adults so I'd hope not to lose too many

There have been youngsters fly Rennes into Scotland in the past.

S & D Bishop bought a pigeon called "Per-Ardua" in 1945.This hen flew from Gibraltar to Kent (1096miles) at 6 months old :o

lewis a fancier in Kilsyth sent birds to Rennes with the BBC or BICC :) as recently as 1992 1993,he sent 3,lost 1,1 reported in cumbria and 1 home after a week 550 miles :) :)

Guest Dorset-lad

ANOTHER WEE TOUCH OF NOSTALGIA WITH ALL FANCIERS FLYING OVER 350 MILES.LIB 8.30 CHRISTCHURCH

1ST G MCNEIL & SON PORT SETON TIMED 4.46 VEL 1294

2ND J FURNESS BONNYRIGG VEL 1279

3RD ROBERTSON BROS MILLERHILL

4TH W HOGARTH & SON DANDERHALL

5TH GILMOUR BROS MARKINCH

6TH G HERRIOT & SON BONNYRIGG

7TH ELMS & HILTON MILLERHILL

19TH & 21ST BERT HUNTER ALVA

20TH JIM ROSS UPHALL

26TH FERGUSON BROS & FORSYTH COWIE TOP MONEY WINNER £138.00

THE WEST SECTION SUFFERED FROM PREVAILING CONDITIONS WITH ONE BIRD RECORDED ON THE DAY TO J HOLLIS EAST KILBRIDE,THE FOLLOWING WEST SECTION FANCIERS RECORDED 2ND DAY BIRDS C WILSON PAISLEY,P MURPHY CAMBUSLANG,M & J WALLER PAISLEY.

YOUNG BIRD RACING IN SCOTLAND 1960!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

THOUGHT THIS BLAST FROM THE PAST WOULD BE OF INTEREST WITH SOME WELL KENT NAMES :)

Damb wasnt born then missed that one not far from where i live lol

the 1st west section bird timed by james hillis east kilbride,SU60G 5437 mealy cock flew 8 consecutive races to Christchurch flying 999 miles 1286 yds,bloolines lindsay of auchengray x leishman bros douglas water,well known scottish distance lines,the current Glasgow fed sec mgt hillis is i think the daughter of the above fancier. :) :) :)

Guest Dorset-lad

I thought was on your doorstep Brian, You missed that one then

Yeah i did miss it lol, shame they dont race down here now would of popped over to take pictures of there birds being liberated.

lewis a fancier in Kilsyth sent birds to Rennes with the BBC or BICC :) as recently as 1992 1993,he sent 3,lost 1,1 reported in cumbria and 1 home after a week 550 miles :) :)

John Ellis with the B.B.C, sent a young bird to Rennes in 1972 & 1973 respectively and got both his young red & young mealy cock home from 583mls.