Peregrine After A Pigeon

franny41

Probably get banned off the site if I put my thoughts on BUT percy has jessy's on,ie.leather strap and must have been released to chase the pigeon :emoticon-0179-headbang::emoticon-0179-headbang::emoticon-0179-headbang:

Correct mate its a photo from another forum he's a clown from canada that breeds raptors and pigeons and test the raptors on the young pigeons says he has bred feral pigeons with pouters and produced a pigeon that can evade hawks pure tad@er.

Correct mate its a photo from another forum he's a clown from canada that breeds raptors and pigeons and test the raptors on the young pigeons says he has bred feral pigeons with pouters and produced a pigeon that can evade hawks pure tad@er.

Thats like breeding hares for courseing.Think that might be against the law!

THIS IS THE CRAP THIS CANADADOO IS SPEWING OUT.

Hawk question

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4

Canadoo

Number of posts: 598

Registration date: 2009-12-06

Subject: Re: Hawk question Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:05 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope your Goshawks leave your pigeons alone Andy, but even if they target your birds you will probably be OK mostly if your loft is out in the open field. I reduced the loft entrance size to 5' x 6" to keep Gos out of my loft and so far it's worked fine, just had one Cooper's get in this spring.

Did you get your young pouters from Pleun, got any photos?

Tom Donald

Hawk Evader Pouters

rocks

Number of posts: 31

Registration date: 2011-06-17

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:09 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes I did get some from Pleun, They were doing good for the first couple days but then started to look off so I have them in the stock loft with my hens just till they start feeling better. They look better just give them some time to get adjusted to the different feed, feeders, drinkers and handler. Will post some pictures tomorow.

I'm not as good as I once was but I am better than I've ever been

johnnyksspeedshop

Number of posts: 151

Registration date: 2011-05-21

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 am

I agree that if you have the loft enough in the open away from any structure, the pigeons should have no problem outrunning a cooper. In my case though, im right in the city and the coopers use the alleys, houses, garages, and trees to their advantage.

Canadoo

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Yeah, some of us live in tough neighborhoods, and necessity is the mother of invention

Tom Donald

Hawk Evader Pouters

franny41

Number of posts: 2533

Registration date: 2008-05-22

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Trap them put them in the bin end of. All this stuff about breeding hawker sized pouters to evade hawks is a load of tosh.

Franny Murphy

Racing Pigeons are the way forward.

Canadoo

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Hard to argue with success though Franny.

Tom Donald

Hawk Evader Pouters

franny41

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Canadoo wrote:

Hard to argue with success though Franny.

So your saying your succesfull in producing a hawk evading cross pouter so you don't loose any i doubt it if a hawk/peregrine can take a wild pigeon and racing pigeon which incidently is an athlete among pigeons then i'm sure they will take your birds with ease if we all did our bit with local hawks then we could get them down to managable levels my thoughts are you are more interested in hawks/falcons than pigeons the photo of your peregrine falcon flying after your orange storrie doo that was posted on the A.F.C.C. comes to mind.

Franny Murphy

Canadoo

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:04 pm

There's a few of us flying pouters, both pure Horseman and also crosses, that have adapted very successfully to the hawk and falcon pressures. Why would you want to kill the birds of prey if you can fly your pouters and have very few losses?

Tom Donald

Hawk Evader Pouters

franny41

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:38 pm

my thoughts are you are more interested in hawks/falcons than pigeons the photo of your peregrine falcon flying after your orange storrie doo that was posted on the A.F.C.C. comes to mind.

Have you got an answer too the above quote ????

( YOUR ) Peregrine Falcon flying after ( YOUR ) orange Storrie Doo.

Have you got an answer too the above quote ?????

There's a few of us flying pouters' date=' both pure Horseman and also crosses, that have adapted very successfully to the hawk and falcon pressures. Why would you want to kill the birds of prey if you can fly your pouters and have very few losses? [/quote=Canadadoo&quot]

Franny Murphy

Canadoo

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Naw Franny, I'm interested in the birds of prey and pigeons about equal. Why do you ask?

Tom Donald

Hawk Evader Pouters

Danny O

Number of posts: 656

Registration date: 2008-04-12

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 pm

I've no wish to upset anyone but I recently had a conversation with a bloke who is involved in raptor conservation , ( as I myself was at one time, and hopefully will be again ) he told me a couple of pigeon men have joined the ranks , one in each of the two main groups . It would seem there are many shades of opinion on the subject .

Danny O.

Canadoo

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi Danny, this topic should never be one side against another. There's ways of dealing sensibly with this topic, as I say it's working out just fine with some pouter flyers over here, there's ways of adapting so that losses are minimized. Just takes a bit of open minded conversation is all.

Tom Donald

Hawk Evader Pouters

ljb107

Number of posts: 606

Registration date: 2009-04-04

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 pm

franny41 wrote:

Trap them put them in the bin end of. All this stuff about breeding hawker sized pouters to evade hawks is a load of tosh.

I've never had a pouter taken by a hawk, only racers, so i don't think all the feral crossing is needed - jmo

I've even had them disappear for 3 weeks and then re-appear

Canadoo

Subject: Re: Hawk question Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi Lloyd, lots depends on individual circumstances. Crossing to feral or anything else is just an option for those guys that are hit hard by hawks. Location of your hut to trees and buildings, type of birds you fly, condition and experience of your birds, and other factors depends on how you resolve the problem.

The main point here is that there are ways of adapting so the damage is minimized. Those of us that fly pouters on this side of the pond are dealing with the same issues you guys are, and we're finding there's many options to consider rather than going straight for the kill the hawk attitude. These birds are protected, there's massive public sentiment on their side, theirs major consequences if you kill them, there's the threat of shutting down pigeon flying once this stuff hits the press, so why even think about killing them?

There's plenty of ways to adapt so we pigeon flyers are wise to pay attention and change with the times.

Tom Donald

Hawk Evader Pouters

Circus Lofts

Number of posts: 386

Registration date: 2009-07-12

Subject: Re: Hawk question Yesterday at 12:04 am

Maybe someday they will wise up and end this senseless conservation of species that don't need protection anymore because they are thick as flies, and we will be able to protect our livestock and relocate them in the garbage can... but the Hawk-huggers won't give in. Wouldn't it be something if they put a bounty on their heads like they do coyotes? I would have to change professions. Some of the Homer clubs are getting together and petitioning government for just that right. That's what we should be doing. Maybe that's what the future holds, not many people are interested in Feral Pouter crosses.

Hawk

They are as every bit as scared as the pigeon when getting a boot in the skull :emoticon-0136-giggle: Hate does not even start to describe how i feel about them :emoticon-0179-headbang:

its not the falcon that should get ur hatred its the rspb the birds

only doing what comes natural to it

Guest bluemorning

in usa pigeons are released in what they call sky trials,seen a video years back and all pigeons escaped.but good editing will see to that,thought it had been banned.

pr*ck in my language

john