STRANGE MESSAGE

Sounds to me we have become too popular! Lots of people visiting the forum at the same time, server goes 'aahhh' and throws some of you the error message. I am looking into what we can do to stop it doing that though.

Has anyone had the error on any page away from the forum?

One and only time was yonks ago [september 2005 I think] when I couldn't access the site. Occurred at a time of high user numbers something like 24 on-line. Reported it to Richard at the time.

Guest ian snaith

webmaster be very carefull as this started a few months ago on unc site and now it has just been reavealed that the site has been hacked .............please be careful ..............take a look at this

http://www.upnorthcombine.com/forum_topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3107&FORUM_ID=1&CAT_ID=1&Forum_Title=General+Chat&Topic_Title=The+real+reason+the+site+was+offline%2E

Hi,

The error message which some of you are getting is because there are too many server requests going on at that split second when you try to access the forum (i.e. too many people accessing the forum at the same time).

If you do get this error, please try accessing the forum again (pressing Refresh), usually letting only a few moments pass will enable you to get on.

This isnt a hacking error and has no reason to be concerned (other than you cant get onto the forum for a few minutes :-/!).

I am in correspondence with our hosts to do whatever we can to enable more people to access the forum in peak times, and indeed at any time - as our visitor statistics have climbed continuously since the opening of Pigeonbasics.com.

Richard

Answer to a couple of questions

Gez: It really depends on who's statistics you are looking at; of which I've tried a few; but from the server stats we're getting between 1,800 - 2,800 unique visitors daily.

Pigeon_Man: We are currently are on a server which hosts more than one website if it is a peak time for them as well as ourselves I'm affraid we'll be getting the error message too.

I've had a few things changed as to how our server is running (with effect yesterday); if anyone getts the 'cgi-limit' error between now and next Thursday, please let me know. Hopefully this testing will ensure the right solution is found :)

Richard

• 3 weeks later...