Furry Droppings

There is no easy answer to this one. :(

The mould (cryptococcus neoformans var neoformans) is not in the pigeon, it is in the general environment. It has a special affinity for pigeon droppings, and it doesn't matter if those droppings are an hour old or weeks old, wet or dry, cryptococcus will colonise them and eventually produce infective spores. If we or the pigeons breath in those spores , we could become infected with life-threatening disease.

Alkalis kill it; ordinary household bleach is an alkali, So scraping out then spraying the affected area with bleach should kill it, as should agricultural lime, or use one of dry disinfectant floor dressings.

Guest mick bowler

I got this when i didnt clean my trays out under the perches for a 3 or 4 days answer = clean out the full loft more often

Not that simple i'm afraid, some lofts like mine, will always have a high humidity due to being next to water. Although damp (high humidity) and old droppings can cause the mold to grow, it shows that it is present in the loft and just does not appear from anywhere. You can clean out as often as you like but it is still likely to be around the loft, and the spore will cause problems to you and your birds!! I spray with Virkon S, and also have a small mist sprayer that i use everyday with a diluted Virkon s solution in the loft while the birds are present. It will kill any airborn spores that come from the mold, these are also harmful to humans, and i dont really have any probs.

The mold can also come from excessive yeasts in the birds system and off of food kept in a damp shed. I test my food a week after i get a new batch in. Best way is to put a handful grain in a jar (with lid on) with boiled water (cooled off) for 24 hours, then remove water and leave to stand. If mold appears in less than a day you have a problem, if within 3 days still a problem, after that it should be ok.

Guest mick bowler

thanks for that mick bowler if cleaning out every other day is leaving it to long then it is obviously that.

Phil, what i'm trying to say is if you dont live in a high humidity area, then cleaning out is not just the problem, the mold spores are coming from somewhere and you need to deal with that as well as your loft management. Get some Virkon s that will do the job! PM me and i will give you a few tips how to use it best.

My birds were left for 2 weeks when i was on hols, and not a fungus in site!!

Phil, what i'm trying to say is if you dont live in a high humidity area, then cleaning out is not just the problem, the mold spores are coming from somewhere and you need to deal with that as well as your loft management. Get some Virkon s that will do the job! PM me and i will give you a few tips how to use it best.

My birds were left for 2 weeks when i was on hols, and not a fungus in site!!

think this guys got it spot on m8

in any event mould spores do no good to your birds and can only start causing you problems like respitary

then you may aswell shut shed until uve got it sorted

Your loft needs to be sorted out because the ventilation must be all wrong. You need to make sure that the air change is good enough to stop this problem. The next thing will be that your birds will suffer from respiratory problems and I doubt if they will win much for you. The droppings should be firm and round and in dry weather you should be able to sweep them from the perches with a small hand brush. What I have told you is the practical implications of furry droppings. You can read all the cleverly written stuff on the chemical content of the mould, because that is what it is, and it will still come back to what I have told you. Fur is out and air change is in. Nuff said. Pigeons are not able to live in a stuffy attmosphere with ammonia fumes wafting around them. They must have an oxygen rich clean air to gain the form that wins races. They do not need warm conditions, that is for the Fancier, they need plenty of clean fresh air. So get your saw out and let some in and give them a treat.