NEST FELTS

Guest TAMMY_1

Guest TAMMY_1

Because of the controversy over nest felts the last couple of seasons where the felts were blamed for young chick losses is anybody going to use the black nest felts because some folk never had any problems or do you think the risk is still there , we have always just used the ordinary felts along with straw but we did look at the black felts and were almost tempted as they were washable and re-useable.

Because of the controversy over nest felts the last couple of seasons where the felts were blamed for young chick losses is anybody going to use the black nest felts because some folk never had any problems or do you think the risk is still there , we have always just used the ordinary felts along with straw but we did look at the black felts and were almost tempted as they were washable and re-useable.

I thought I read on a previous thread, that the Black nest felts had been withdrawn from sale :-/

Guest TAMMY_1

I thought I read on a previous thread, that the Black nest felts had been withdrawn from sale :-/

I know Les Parkinson said it was only one bad batch last year but never noticed anywhere they were withdrawn from sale, but you could be right Sapper, time will tell if they re appear because they were a good idea in principle

I did try to buy more this year, but didn't find any advertised for sale. I started off with horsehair ones but my birds unravelled these, so when latex bonded washable ones came out, I moved on to these and have never had any bother. I still have my originals, and I wash & disinfect them at the end of the year.

If they were all withdrawn because of a single bad batch, then I think thats a plus for the manufacturers. But I have to say I would not be comfortable buying them now, given the number of warnings we've had over the years.

they are unnatural wild pigeons dont use them yir just molly codling them to much just give them straw or twigs like every one else

I did try to buy more this year, but didn't find any advertised for sale. I started off with horsehair ones but my birds unravelled these, so when latex bonded washable ones came out, I moved on to these and have never had any bother. I still have my originals, and I wash & disinfect them at the end of the year.

If they were all withdrawn because of a single bad batch, then I think thats a plus for the manufacturers. But I have to say I would not be comfortable buying them now, given the number of warnings we've had over the years.

Just bought some coconut nest felts from pj lofts they look the part to me plus the service was first class.

wrap the bowls in newspaper keep them warm then once there finished breeding remove the paper easy clean nest bowls  ;)

wrap the bowls in newspaper keep them warm then once there finished breeding remove the paper easy clean nest bowls  ;)

did you work in a chip shop in a previous life  ;D ;D

Guest TAMMY_1
nest felt wot a load o crap , just brought out to empty a few mare pockets

:-/ :-/

you could probably say the same thing about nearly everything for pigeons in that it all costs money but like all pigeon related items you just use what you want to yourself, I have found that the are useful in the fact that not all pigeons will build a good nest and the felts always ensure there are no chilled eggs because of nothing on the base of the nestbowl and have never found them to harbour red mite simply because we use a beer mat which has been soaked in creoste a while before we place it in along with the nestbowls and felts

you could probably say the same thing about nearly everything for pigeons in that it all costs money but like all pigeon related items you just use what you want to yourself, I have found that the are useful in the fact that not all pigeons will build a good nest and the felts always ensure there are no chilled eggs because of nothing on the base of the nestbowl and have never found them to harbour red mite simply because we use a beer mat which has been soaked in creoste a while before we place it in along with the nestbowls and felts

HI Tammy if i had pigeons that didnt build there own nests they would not be here im afraid.

when they loose the most natural instinct of all its not so good.

At Blackpool we have sold literally 10's of thousands of the Pronafit brand nest felt (Black and Grey) and have not had a single complaint from a customer.

This year we will be using those ones and also the coconut ones from Paul Newbold.

Steve uses straw and sawdust though so guess its each to our own and if i was to take him nestfelts think they would be put on his bonfire.

Guest TAMMY_1
At Blackpool we have sold literally 10's of thousands of the Pronafit brand nest felt (Black and Grey) and have not had a single complaint from a customer.

This year we will be using those ones and also the coconut ones from Paul Newbold.

Steve uses straw and sawdust though so guess its each to our own and if i was to take him nestfelts think they would be put on his bonfire.

but were the ones that were causing the problems not made of a rubbery material?

I shall just place a piece of ply wood over the nesting area with two bricks at right angles with Tobacco stalks as much as they want to use availabe. Yes I always place a decent covering in first. I cut these into 4 - 6 inch pieces. When a mite fouled I will simple lift the youngsters out. Discard the whole nest and replace with two warm bricks and a load more of Stalks and plonk them back on. Quick, simple and very effective. Have about 30 odd Nest bowls going to waste I guess. But the cost of couriers means at a £1 each, cheaper for some one to buy new ones. Have cleansed them a mite. Shame to waste, so will hold onto them. Are all outside in the snow etc. which kills any nasties. Further a another rinse and rady for the dish washer eh!  ;) ;D ;D

I shall just place a piece of ply wood over the nesting area with two bricks at right angles with Tobacco stalks as much as they want to use availabe. Yes I always place a decent covering in first. I cut these into 4 - 6 inch pieces. When a mite fouled I will simple lift the youngsters out. Discard the whole nest and replace with two warm bricks and a load more of Stalks and plonk them back on. Quick, simple and very effective. Have about 30 odd Nest bowls going to waste I guess. But the cost of couriers means at a £1 each, cheaper for some one to buy new ones. Have cleansed them a mite. Shame to waste, so will hold onto them. Are all outside in the snow etc. which kills any nasties. Further a another rinse and rady for the dish washer eh!  ;) ;D ;D

Sounds an idea way to me - and save a lot of cleaning and disenfecting bowls.

I spent a weekend cleaning and disinfecting our's before putting them away for winter - 140 of the bloody things maybe useful for Micky M or Alan