Building My Widowhood Boxes

OLDYELLOW

very nice mark all my nest boxs,box perchs are made from chipboard i made my self misses bought a few ply up and over boxs no different from the chip board 1's i got my self out of the two i prefure chipboard as like ya said easy to repair if anythink does need repairing due to age not had a problem with any of mine getting damp my boxs get scraped out twice a day i think if ya loft holds damp ya have a problem but if its dry you wont have no problems as mine are still perfect.

same here no damp never had any problems with chipboard , however wood surfaces harbour alot of bacteria eggs ectra and should be deep cleaned or torched during racing , if have a continuing cycle of bad health replacing box bottoms and floors is a good way to go :) and as i use the brackets its simple unscrew and flip over and good for a few more seasons ;) mine are still in good nick and birds not ailed this year :) so should last a while longer yet ;)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Are you looking to show off your craft man ship OY

great looking though

bumped for a member ;) can't take much credit for the workmanship as timber yard did most of the hard work on the sheet cutter ;)

They do look cracking m8

cheers :) there doing there job and are still in good order so can't grumble :) another couple of season then be probably time to flip the bottoms over :)

• 2 weeks later...

i have to say, turning them boxes 90 degrees is bloody genius!!!!

ive been racking my brains on how ill fit 12 boxes into my widowhood section for next season, and this has solved the problems

just as a matter of interest, have you now raced to these boxes, and if so, is everything going as well as expected?

They work great :) other year one cock 3 x 3rds 2 x 47th feds 1 x 16th fed , this year been in fed top 50 every channel race so far :) winning 2 x 2nds 1 x 3rd up to 14th and 15th fed , then my Bourge result and 37th fed from first channel race , so guess they work :)

They work great :) other year one cock 3 x 3rds 2 x 47th feds 1 x 16th fed , this year been in fed top 50 every channel race so far :) winning 2 x 2nds 1 x 3rd up to 14th and 15th fed , then my Bourge result and 37th fed from first channel race , so guess they work :)

sounds like they work perfectly well so

ill be showing my dad these tomorrow, and starting work on them soon as well.

as they say, the simple ideas are the best!!!

Guest yorkshire terrier 77

mine will be done shortly too as loft all cleaned ,dissenfected and painted out now ,just of interest chrissbonnie ,how big is the section where you will be putting 12 boxes ?

mine will be done shortly too as loft all cleaned ,dissenfected and painted out now ,just of interest chrissbonnie ,how big is the section where you will be putting 12 boxes ?

about 6ftx6ft, but every widowhood box ive seen are huge ,and i would probably only fit 2 on the walls of the loft, so that would 2 boxes wide, and i dont want to have it 2 wide by 6 boxes down, but if i do it Marks way, they'll easily fit

Guest yorkshire terrier 77

yup thats what i plan on doing , goooooood idea like. but i havent got the room or the want to waste hens so will be using them for the roundabout system. :egyptian::egyptian::egyptian::emoticon-0140-rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

for the original poster

where did you happen to buy all the bits and bobs you need for the boxes, i.e the fronts and feeders etc......

They were locally sourced but ,they don't seem to have the stock they used to have b leefes will have a good supply of them :)

good man

i appreciate all the help

by the way, any photos with your couples in the boxes?

im still debating on how big to make them, my section is 1.6m by 2.4 high, so i can fit 4 rows of 4, at 30cm x 30cm each, but im not sure if they'll be big enough

normal box 28 x 14 mine are 2 ft x 14 plenty of room when shut in together , have blocks to go on front yet ;) but am going to see if workable without first

i still use inches i'm sure you can work it out :)