Training This Morning.. A Little Bit On The Close Side

Guest strapper

Guest strapper

this mornings toss from near chepstow proved to be a bit sticky(16 mls?)..birds took 50 mins to return 1st 11..then 2-3,s coming then a batch of 14 and small numbers after that..dropped 2 from 63 .

had 2 strays with them but ive reported them and they were not training..as i thought they might have clashed .

so a close one but some took over hour and half to come back. :(

Guest Davy Fleming

Strapper , I trained last Friday morning an it was a nightmare taking almost 2 hours from 12-14 miles as only going 50 mile race on Saturday . Was warned an many occasions over last 35 years never ever ever ever train Fridays but typical of of me I KNOW BETTER TRYING TO STEAL A FEW YARDS ON THE SATURDAY. I

Guest strapper

Mine would need CAT II radar if i trained this morning!

all home now...nice and clear here..supposedly bad weather aint gonna be as bad as 1st thought over the weekend.

I took my 14 for a 15 mile toss this morning, they arent ready to race yet so I thought there wouldnt be many others about so they should get a free flight. It took the first ones 6 and half hours and I had 5 together, then others straggled in in one in some terrible weather around tea time, I am just 2 short now.

Guest strapper

Strapper , I trained last Friday morning an it was a nightmare taking almost 2 hours from 12-14 miles as only going 50 mile race on Saturday . Was warned an many occasions over last 35 years never ever ever ever train Fridays but typical of of me I KNOW BETTER TRYING TO STEAL A FEW YARDS ON THE SATURDAY. I

hi davy m8..im not racing tomorrow so took the chance to get an extra trainer in..that was my 3rd and tomorrow 3 youngbird races already over.

so im pushing them a long a bit..need too!.

I trained mine from Leven in Fife last night at 7pm thinking the skies would be clear. In fact they were very clear including my 19 young guns. I had 1 home on the night, 9 more in the morning 7 in the afternoon and one just landed. I,ve 2 to come, christ that was too close, hopefully they will all the better for it when the racing starts.

Mine have now had 17 tosses up to 35 miles (line of flight). Started with 44, dropped 10 in one toss (did only have 3 home by nightfall, rest come throughout the following 2 days) and 4 in another smash where they come in one's, two's and three's. Cat has had 2 and they are in the recovery loft, disposed of 2, so have 26 to send on Sunday! Fingers crossed they come ok!!

Guest TAMMY_1

sapper letting his and FIFER's youngsters go for a toss over the FORTH on Thursday, both good returns,a bit heavy cloud here and there but visability was very good

click on photo to enlarge

Very good photos Archie

Took our 70 youngsters for a 40 mile toss last Thursday in perfect weather and knew we were in for a bad one when the first came back alone after three hours following a 10 am release. By nightfall only 25 had made it in ones and twos, five more returned the following day and so far that is it ! Previously they had all been to 25 miles about four times and 20 had been raced to 60 miles the previous Saturday. They had been ranging well for up to two hours the previous couple of days so there is just no obvious explanation as to what went wrong and where they all went. All I know is that after 50 years in the sport the disappointment of things like this is becoming too much to bear and it won't be long before I give up the ghost like so many others appear to have done just lately.

Took our 70 youngsters for a 40 mile toss last Thursday in perfect weather and knew we were in for a bad one when the first came back alone after three hours following a 10 am release. By nightfall only 25 had made it in ones and twos, five more returned the following day and so far that is it ! Previously they had all been to 25 miles about four times and 20 had been raced to 60 miles the previous Saturday. They had been ranging well for up to two hours the previous couple of days so there is just no obvious explanation as to what went wrong and where they all went. All I know is that after 50 years in the sport the disappointment of things like this is becoming too much to bear and it won't be long before I give up the ghost like so many others appear to have done just lately.

That was a bad knock, sounds like a percy attack to scatter a large kit like that, stick at it, hopefully it doesn't happen too often

Well it's been a week now since we dropped 40 of our 70 young bird team in that disastrous toss and surprise. surprise, not another bird has shown up and none have been reported. From that number we had expected the odd one or two to make their way home and as they were all stamped we thought something might get reported. Must be a big black hole somewhere which just sucked them in !