eagle owls

Guest bristolkev

Caught this reminder @ 8:00pm  :)

Glad I did because I thought it a repeat of last year's programme ... it wasn't, it was an update. For Jummy White and others who emailed everybody and their uncle last year on this bird ... welcome news ... a victory ... an announcement at the end of the programme saying that contrary to the Tom Twits that told us these birds have no legal prptection ... wrong, full EU Wild Bird Act protection; even if they take any other 'protected' raptor, if they can survive here, they stay, unmolested.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Guest TAMMY_1
Caught this reminder @ 8:00pm  :)

Glad I did because I thought it a repeat of last year's programme ... it wasn't, it was an update. For Jummy White and others who emailed everybody and their uncle last year on this bird ... welcome news ... a victory ... an announcement at the end of the programme saying that contrary to the Tom Twits that told us these birds have no legal prptection ... wrong, full EU Wild Bird Act protection; even if they take any other 'protected' raptor, if they can survive here, they stay, unmolested.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

it was a repeat bruno, exact same one as before

Memory seems to be failing me Tammy, first saw the 'R' in TV guide and as posted reckoned a repeat of last year.  :)

Watched it and yes I did recognise lots of bits & pieces from the original but there seemed to be new info in there too: the numbers of rabbits taken by the pair between dusk & midnight (6); the numbers of buzzards taken per bird in ? (europe) country (6?).

Also mentioned 'researcher' a year on had uncovered ... and the bit that really pricked up my ears was the voice-over at the end saying 'new EU legislation had been brought in since BTO & RSPB interviews were recorded which gives this species full protection'. This wasn't part of the original broadcast last year, because members were up in arms about the fact that these people said the bird wasn't native, wasn't welcome and people could go out there and shoot them, and wouldn't be breaking any law. There was a lot of emails from members on that one, check out the birds of prey thread.

http://www.pigeonbasics.com/forum/blah/m-1127470176/s-100/

which I note was started way back in November 2005 when the programme was first shown. Maybe explains things Tammy, was there another one shown sometime in 2006? If so missed that.

Guest TAMMY_1
Memory seems to be failing me Tammy, first saw the 'R' in TV guide and as posted reckoned a repeat of last year.  :)

Watched it and yes I did recognise lots of bits & pieces from the original but there seemed to be new info in there too: the numbers of rabbits taken by the pair between dusk & midnight (6); the numbers of buzzards taken per bird in ? (europe) country (6?).

Also mentioned 'researcher' a year on had uncovered ... and the bit that really pricked up my ears was the voice-over at the end saying 'new EU legislation had been brought in since BTO & RSPB interviews were recorded which gives this species full protection'. This wasn't part of the original broadcast last year, because members were up in arms about the fact that these people said the bird wasn't native, wasn't welcome and people could go out there and shoot them, and wouldn't be breaking any law. There was a lot of emails from members on that one, check out the birds of prey thread.

http://www.pigeonbasics.com/forum/blah/m-1127470176/s-100/

which I note was started way back in November 2005 when the programme was first shown. Maybe explains things Tammy, was there another one shown sometime in 2006? If so missed that.

have to disagree with you bruno. was identical to the one last year and also the voiceover was on at the end of the last one shown last year, i taped it last year , and last night ,and checked again identical in every way including voiceover at the end saying it was a protected species

Guest slugmonkey

there have been many reports of people finding owls in their lofts in the mornings after  they were trapped in there after a night of feeding on pigeons I also know a fancier that got bit by a small EXTREMELY rare ground dwelling owl one morning when he went to reach into a nest box and didnt realize it was there

Yep top predator, but remember this is an owl, starts hunting around dusk or failing light, so reckon might be wrong time of day to be a major threat to racing pigeons?

if there were a pair of eagle owls in every quarry in brittain ,, there would be far less perigrines ,,,,,,,they eat them, if near them, at dusk, when roosting

Yep top predator, but remember this is an owl, starts hunting around dusk or failing light, so reckon might be wrong time of day to be a major threat to racing pigeons?

Not quite true, like the Barn Owl etc. hunts in day time big time. That's why the Huntmens use them for the Fox'es cornered and trapped.

But regardless what Bruno or any one else says... The RSPB are shifting them and doing utmost not to let  them stay, let alone breed.

If this is the case Roland, and you or others can provide definite proof of that, then let us have it. We constantly complain that we are powerless against these people. They are (1) not above the Law ... and (2) as Churchill said 'you can fool some of the people some of the time'.

If we can publicly show duplicity and double standards on their part towards this protected raptor species, we can use this to hurt them where it matters most .. credibility and support and cash.  

Guest TAMMY_1
are wild eagle owls actually breeding in britain at the moment ? does anyone know approx how many are already here ?

yes they are breeding here but dunno how many active pairs .

Why not start a breeding station for the Eagle Owls,and release the young by the dozen as the RSPB have been doing for years in areas that are over run with sparrow and perigrine just like they do with the hawks bred in their breeding stations,also did i hear in this program the RSPB moan about the Corn Crake and the damage it could do to exsisting numbers?,no mention of the damage done by other predetors?two faced,dictators.

I've tried a search on breeding numbers and distribution. Can't turn up anything new other than 'maybe' a programme in Scotland in this article, and Owls hunting & prey included:-

The Eurasian Eagle Owl was once resident in the UK, but was hunted to extinction during the late 19th century (NOTE - the RSPB does question this view & says that the evidence is very slim.). This was done mainly by gamekeepers & farmers, concerned on them preying on their livestock. Unlike many other birds of prey, their was some justification to their fears, the owls can take large prey, but it is unlikely that they could do enough to warrant hunting them to extinction. It has also been suggested that other reasons for hunting them were for stuffing as ornaments & for the fashion trade, the long feathers being in particular demand to adorn hats. There are reports of some Eagle Owls living in the wild in the UK, it is most likely that these birds are escaped or (illegally) released captive birds, rather than migrants. In particular, a pair have been nesting & breeding since 1997 years on MOD property on the North Yorkshire moors, they are thought to have successfully reared over 20 young. (I have also seen one reference to a small reintroduction programme in the UK, possibly Scotland, but haven't been able to find any details).

The Eurasian Eagle Owl hunts predominantly at dusk & into the early night. They have occassionally been found sharing territories with Golden Eagles, with the eagles hunting during the day & the owls at night. They are not prepared to live peacefully with all birds of prey though, in particular goshawks. They have also been found to drive away Peregrines from near to their nesting sites. They have been reported as regularly preying on buzzards, goshawks, gyrfalcons, Tawny Owls, Long-Eared Owls & other small birds of prey, including their young. While other birds, such as ducks, pheasants, pigeons & crows, may be taken (often in flight), their main prey is mammals. They are able to catch prey spreading a large range of sizes, from mice & voles, through rabbits & hares, up to foxes, young sheep & roe deer.

They are able to hunt in woods & forests, but due to the large size, especially the wingspan, they prefer more open spaces.

Full article (actually from Raptor Foundation Website) :-

http://www.pauldfrost.co.uk/eeagleowl.html