show racers advice needed

Guest Silverwings

Guest Silverwings

recently aquired two show racers one is a light opal or silver cheq cock the other is slightly opal dark cheq , just getting an interest in show birds and dont know much about them , will pairing the two weaken the depth of colour in the ofspring ?...............ray

if thewy are opal depends on whether their dominant or recessive i think that show racers are recessive opal if so yo ushould be fine but if their dom opal they need splitting due to genetic issiues (dead young) been the main issue but get some photos up show racer breeders are not that hot on colours we will be able to tell ya better from a photo

Guest beautyhomer

Hi Andrew, Chrissy is still an active member on the site

my mistake,see she has re-registered since she last sent me a pm.It is her old account that I have seen in my pm's :)

Guest portmuffins

these look to me to be mosiac pic one and pic 2 looks like mosaic chequer but should do well as a pair pic 2 been breed from a dark chequer I keep show racers big john N.Ireland ;):)

Well my best guess is this. They both show some lightening of the entire body so theres something like dilute or milky lightening everything up. I dont think (genetically) either are recessive blue phase opal. They are for sure not dom opal or recessive red phase opal. If you could take pictures of their tails fanned out we could see this for sure. All recessive opals (red and blue phase) have a webbing pattern on their tail bars. They are both t-patter chequers. I suspect the top bird to be a sooty or as us racers call pencil or dapple. The bottom one seems to be just a t-pattern check with something lightening the color.

If you mate these two together You will get all babies that are t-checkers like those unless they are both carrying a less dominant pattern gene (barless, bar, light check, dark check). All their babies will have a lightening of the body like that and if that top bird is split for sooty then half their babies will have sooty. If that top bird is homozygous (carrying two genes) for sooty, all there babies will be sooty.