blood on eggs

hi

just wondered if you think the bird has damaged her inside's on checking her second egg it was covered in blood the first one being ok

checked the  yearling hen she seems fine i don't think it was overweight

should i let her sit again after this round

or any idea's why this happened?

hi

just wondered if you think the bird has damaged her inside's on checking her second egg it was covered in blood the first one being ok

checked the  yearling hen she seems fine i don't think it was overweight

should i let her sit again after this round

or any idea's why this happened?

You see that now and again Bart and 9 times out of 10 it's a yearling virgin hen laying her 1st eggs.She should be fine but keep an eye on her ;)

hi red cheq

i will check tomorrow they seemed simlar in size but texture i never noticed

thanks alf thought that myself but first egg was ok second one was covered in blood

If the eggshell isn't completely smooth, any knobbly bits will cut the bird's cloaca, think that's the tightest bit on the egg's journey out.

If the eggshell isn't completely smooth, any knobbly bits will cut the bird's cloaca, think that's the tightest bit on the egg's journey out.

Have a look next time, ;) ;) ;) a hen lays an egg etc, (got to be quick)  ;D ;D ;D you will see its like a rubber ball & soft when a hen lays it  & I've even seen one layed from a perch at times hit the ground & be perfect. But as I said !!!!!!. You've gotta be quick to see it.

Enjoy

Seen that with chickens (soft shell) before it hardens. An old fancier once told me, for yearling hens (or any) mix olive oil in the feed two or three days before she lays helps the passage of the egg also ensure birds have plenty calcium as this is required by the muscles to push the egg on its way it all goes to make egg laying easier.

Seen that with chickens (soft shell) before it hardens. An old fancier once told me, for yearling hens (or any) mix olive oil in the feed two or three days before she lays helps the passage of the egg also ensure birds have plenty calcium as this is required by the muscles to push the egg on its way it all goes to make egg laying easier.

I remember seeing this when I was five or six.. My grandad took me to his coop to collect the eggs, feed the hens, etc. And the minute we walked through the door and he lifted the lid to the nest-boxes, he told me to come look at an egg that was soft. When I asked what to do about it, he told me that he would buy some ground up oyster shells and mix that in with the food. I don't know where he bought it in large quantities - but he manged alright, and after about a week's feeding with it the chickens never had a problem with soft eggs for a while.

Have a look next time, ;) ;) ;) a hen lays an egg etc, (got to be quick)  ;D ;D ;D you will see its like a rubber ball & soft when a hen lays it  & I've even seen one layed from a perch at times hit the ground & be perfect. But as I said !!!!!!. You've gotta be quick to see it.

Enjoy

My first hen laid right into my hand....she was panting so, I picked her up thinking that she was ill and not realising what was going on!! ::)  The egg was warm but not especially soft. I put it in the nest and, when she laid the second egg, she sat on them with no problem.