Cat Proof Open Hole???

Diamond dave

Guest mikkey

my mate uses a landing board that wont take the weight of a cat but will take the weight of a few pigeons, its got some kind of sprung hinges it seems to work ok

I know your post is on cat-proofing, but there are other things out there on the prowl a lot smaller and lighter than a cat.

Personally, I would never leave a loft open and unattended.

Thank you all for your good advice.

Terry - This looks perfect. Do you know if this is a two way trap or do you think I could just leave off the bobwires?

IB.- what other things do you think can get in a trap like this?

hawks ,rats owls and magpies ;)

I would suggest you keep it away from ledges that a cat could step from -- I saw this once the cat stepped with its front feet towards the hinged part of the trap & it didnt tip straight away but once its back feet were on it tipped the cat off. The biggest problem I found was when the bobs were down & pigeons wanted to enter sometimes there would be a dominant cock sitting on the inside preventing them from doing so, I have a small removable tunnel type wire cage with no bottom that i hook on the inside to stop birds sitting on the inside of trap. Most of the time though bob wires are fixed up & cage removed &  birds can come & go as they wish--- brilliant piece of kit !!!

IB.- what other things do you think can get in a trap like this?

Much the same list as Sammy but thought weasel, stoat, ferret and mink? would be candidates too. Pigeons coming and going during the day could attract attention, something could spot the way in.

I have a trap meant for late comers on race days. Its designed to 'fool the eye'. There's no ledge there for anything to stand on, and its a continuous run of mesh - above my doors. Only one small section opens, and then only enough to let one bird in and drop through - it can't get back out.

A plate, simply swivels. with a 2lb wieghted  bar on the inner - in  side the loft ont a slight latch - turns of to let you shut the traps. When a cat lands on it it drops like a ton of bricks onto a nice bath of water. This also mens the inside flap floies upwards to stop anything entering.

I have Bob wires inside it to stop them coming out when I need it... also fixed with a simple latch.

Fantastic advice - Thanks to you all - I will get mine on order straight away.

D.D.

They are so easy to make, I will do one tomorrow and post the pics, a piece of 10mm ply, eight inches of 30 x 20, a hinge a couple of eyelets and a couple of heavy fishing weights, 1/2 an hour tops :-/

Much the same list as Sammy but thought weasel, stoat, ferret and mink? would be candidates too. Pigeons coming and going during the day could attract attention, something could spot the way in.

I have a trap meant for late comers on race days. Its designed to 'fool the eye'. There's no ledge there for anything to stand on, and its a continuous run of mesh - above my doors. Only one small section opens, and then only enough to let one bird in and drop through - it can't get back out.

this is very true ,, loft better closed at night , a weasel stoat or mink will make a worse job than a cat and ,,,as gangster says , cats can become very crafty , allthough a usefull pigeon entry system its not infallable