how to stop birds drinking water freezing?

DJ

can any of you old hands give me any tips on how i can prevent my drinkers freezing overnight apart from using heating pads ?  my drinkers have been frozen solid for the last couple of mornings and any ideas would be appreciated as im sometimes away from the loft for long periods  :-/   debbie

i use the big domed drinkers because the water fills itself by gravity they are harder to freeze unless nearly empty , ping pong bals can be put in drinkers as they will roll around the surface will be harder to ice over

can any of you old hands give me any tips on how i can prevent my drinkers freezing overnight apart from using heating pads ?  my drinkers have been frozen solid for the last couple of mornings and any ideas would be appreciated as im sometimes away from the loft for long periods  :-/   debbie

Having the same problem,as working shifts everytime i get to go in the loft the drinkers are frozen i must have split about half a dozen plastic drinkers while tring to bang the ice out  >:(

thats all well and good removing at night if you arent breeding but i wouldnt advise it if they are breeding as could disturb birds enough to come of there nests

get that old polystyrene,   you get from washing machines  the block type  and from telly's shape it to fit around your drinkers and it will help  it from freezing just leave one access hole

Guest j.bamling

just throw out the water after feeding the birds wait ten minutes make sure the birds have had a drink then throw it out fill them up next morning fresh !!!

it maybe that the ques. is bieng asked for some who race in allotments and it comtinues to freeze throughout the day when they are at work then the birds are without water all day and as most are not back from work untill dark and with no lights available its very important to get this sorted out

it maybe that the ques. is bieng asked for some who race in allotments and it comtinues to freeze throughout the day when they are at work then the birds are without water all day and as most are not back from work untill dark and with no lights available its very important to get this sorted out

i used to be on an alotment and quite alot the stand pipe would freeze so i used to fill a big barrel and syphon my water of from the barrel and the dome drinkers were effective at not freezing

good evening im in the same boat leaving at 5am arrive home at 4.45pm young in the nest.

(NOTGOOD)

have to rely on missis and young lad

thanks to them thay do a great job even clean out

but a solution would be much appreciated

thanks everyone for all the info  i will try the glucose as i have some handy in the cupboard but any more tips will be appreciated :)  i was going to try glycerine as i heard that it stops drinking water freezing but i definately wont be trying it after logging on to www.dooyoo.co.uk/archive-general/hanging-birdbath/433549/-48k    check it out -weird post or what :) ;D     debbie

I make sure that I empty the drinkers last thing at night, before they freeze. Then in the morning I fill to a point just below half full. If there is freezing weather during the day it is easy to top up with more water to overcome them freezing during the day. This is the most efficient way I know. If possible site the drinkers in a position where the sun can get at them early in the day. This helps.

I know that it is desirable to have drinking water available all day, but the critical times are after a feed. That is assuming that you hand feed. If you hopper feed the critical times are early in the day and late in the day when they are topping up ready for their night.

Guest Freebird
get that old polystyrene,   you get from washing machines  the block type  and from telly's shape it to fit around your drinkers and it will help  it from freezing just leave one access hole

Great idea. I use cider vinegar which works down to about -2 but last night -8 and the water was frozen over. Mine are 2 litre domes with covered well ( the type with six access holes ) so may be quite difficult to cover but the idea is good.

Mine are the same. I wonder if that garden fleece would work if we wrapped a few layers around and cut a hole in?  It's supposed to stop the frost getting to plants so it might.  For me, it's easier to carry the water in at night and put it back out in the morning.