Racing pigeons drown as tide covers trailer

Roland

Is this true?

TWO pigeon fanciers who fell asleep after parking their trailer with 450 prize birds near the mouth of a Scottish river, woke up to find that 120 of the birds had met a watery grave.

The racing pigeons, worth thousands of pounds, had drowned as the tide came in and lapped over the trailer.

The men, from the Stranraer area, had parked their car and trailer near the mouth of the river Annan, at Annan in Dumfries and Galloway, and had settled down to wait until it was time to release the birds for a race across the Solway Firth to Wigton in Cumbria. But they fell asleep while waiting for the race to start. They woke in the middle of the night to find water lapping around their legs.

The embarrassed pair managed to wade ashore and raise the alarm at a nearby cottage. But by the time help arrived the car was nearly submerged, the trailer partly covered by the tide and 120 pigeons in the lower decks of the trailer had drowned.

A police spokesman said the men, who have not been named, were shocked, but unhurt.

Is this true?

TWO pigeon fanciers who fell asleep after parking their trailer with 450 prize birds near the mouth of a Scottish river, woke up to find that 120 of the birds had met a watery grave.

The racing pigeons, worth thousands of pounds, had drowned as the tide came in and lapped over the trailer.

The men, from the Stranraer area, had parked their car and trailer near the mouth of the river Annan, at Annan in Dumfries and Galloway, and had settled down to wait until it was time to release the birds for a race across the Solway Firth to Wigton in Cumbria. But they fell asleep while waiting for the race to start. They woke in the middle of the night to find water lapping around their legs.

The embarrassed pair managed to wade ashore and raise the alarm at a nearby cottage. But by the time help arrived the car was nearly submerged, the trailer partly covered by the tide and 120 pigeons in the lower decks of the trailer had drowned.

A police spokesman said the men, who have not been named, were shocked, but unhurt.

if they were unhurt at the time, they certainly would have been when they got home.

Guest chrisss
A fancier, who wishes to remain nameless told reporters he wished he had not sent himself as the race turned out to be a washout!

damn those holdovers ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have not heard of any reports about this incident, I was talking to our club sec.last night (who lives at Aspatria) and it was not mentioned ,i'm sure the Wgton fanciers fly in the East Cumbria Federation who fly South road so why the would go North this early in the year I don't know.Lindsay

Hi all .

As a young lad of around 11 yrs of age i did keep pigeons in stranraer and i can honestly tell everyone this disaster  did happen ..i know the men who convoyed the pigeons and what a disaster it was ,i was almost a young adult at the time when this accident happened but it is still very much talked about within the stranraer and district  fancier's circles as the disaster of all time ..I believe the river was the nith near annan .This river had risen through the night with an onset of very heavy rain along with a big spring tide ...a deadly combination if ever there was one ...

DAVID

Hi .

It happened when i was in my late teens ...early eighty,ish..sometime.

I am now early fourtys  .Along time ago..Very sad for the fanciers involved ..

I believe a civil court hearing was had about the loss of bird value and recovery in the way of compensation .