thinking of changing clubs

milecrosslofts

hi im thinking of leaving my south road club to fly north,i raced south now for about 4 years, the south road only have 206 miles before they have to go over channel, the north road has about 400 miles before the water,i feel that the north road would be better for me coz i could race inland only and dont have to worry about going over water,BUT the thing that worry me is will i lose a lot of my obs by swining them south ? mmmmmmm any one ever swong the birds round and what happened ?

mark

I would never train my south roaders north but. I would happily race from the north with south roaders. 21st sec 281st NFC Tarbes just 3 races down the west country and in to Perth 13th sec NRCC. The ONLY streches of water worth worrying about is between Lerwick and Scotland or France in to Ireland

hi im thinking of leaving my south road club to fly north,i raced south now for about 4 years, the south road only have 206 miles before they have to go over channel, the north road has about 400 miles before the water,i feel that the north road would be better for me coz i could race inland only and dont have to worry about going over water,BUT the thing that worry me is will i lose a lot of my obs by swining them south ? mmmmmmm any one ever swong the birds round and what happened ?

mark

why you worried about the water mate?

dont know what to, do for the best

Where in the country are you and do you have both north and south road clubs near you?

Also would you be in a better position in one or the other?

The channel is nothing if the birds are right and upto the job, yes the frogs shoot at them and there are the normal hazards, but as many losses north as south!

Guest shadow
dont know what to, do for the best

3 years ago my friend changed from south to north and has now reverted as he was not keen on all his young bird losses as the club he was in the first young bird race was 120 miles which may have had something to do with it

If you dont mind me giving you a little advice then i would like to say the following. I have lived in the west country all my life, its only 58 miles to the coast and even east or west we only get about 150 miles max so we have to channel fly or die as we say.

Its true that channel flying is hard and loses increase, most of the time your birds fate lies with the conveyor/race controller and even then the weather can change quickly.

However can i give the following 3 tips.

1) Many people send there best pigeons inland only and send the also rans over the channel, this is a sure way to win no prizes from france as you need your very best to win over the sea.

2) The health of the pigeon esp its breathing/respo system and eyes needs to be spot on as the wind is colder and stronger when out to sea.

3) (and most important) You have to feed your pigeon to take into account every possible type of flight, even in short 200 mile races when the winners are home in 4 hours other birds may fly around fog/mist etc or be hit with high winds and take 7-8 hours without them making a mistake. Always send them with a high degree of fuel.

Just my thoughts.

Stuart

Well the North Rd is generally harder than the South Rd.

However any decent pigeons does it obviously.

I send mine either way. One week may be Bergerac, a fortnight Later Thurso etc. etc. Doesn't affect them at all.

I train where ever I may be going.... or any one else  ;) ;) and have no problems.

But again it is a learning curve for you. YOU have to get to know the birds and their capabilities.

Where in the country are you and do you have both north and south road clubs near you?

Also would you be in a better position in one or the other?

The channel is nothing if the birds are right and upto the job, yes the frogs shoot at them and there are the normal hazards, but as many losses north as south!

now back to the sensible people/yeah we have a north and south road club near us, im in selby north yorkshire

Well the North Rd is generally harder than the South Rd.

However any decent pigeons does it obviously.

I send mine either way. One week may be Bergerac, a fortnight Later Thurso etc. etc. Doesn't affect them at all.

I train where ever I may be going.... or any one else  ;) ;) and have no problems.

But again it is a learning curve for you. YOU have to get to know the birds and their capabilities.

very true mate thanks for that

Whether you have a couple not is irrelevant.

Agree with Swilcox in regards sending them.... some stay at home, and first difficult race are lost.... That one that always seems to be there, the one you some reason never care for keeps racing... Then one day one wakes up and sees - Suprise suprise - it is one of their best! :-/

Could it be that it was sent regardless.

Your best birds are the ones A. Sent, and B. still in your loft... Simple that :-/ I believe too many whims / likes and dislikes means too much corn is wasted by birds sitting on the perch  / roof etc. because they are liked for whatever reason.

Be prepared to lose some, only way forward, and yes like Swilcox says, to compete in worthwhile races, acheiving decent merit means quite simply send your best!

Bergerac one week and two weeks later Thurso, must be some pigeons Roland, what was there results like?????

No cards, but they also did a Frazerborough and another Bergerac. All within 6 -7 weeks.

Always made my birds do at least 2 of the longest N. Roaders.

But would say that the art now is defining and learning - in time with patience, losses and heart ache - just waht your birds capabilities are. Then the need need to trial them is well gone by :-/  Only send FRESH birds to win.