Race or not to race young birds

Chris Little

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion and having proven it in practice, your young birds only require education and that racing them is not essential and my yearlings do win in april on widowhood, although admittedly most take 2 or 3 races to get fully in to the swing of things, there are no hard and fast rules in this game ;)

well reading the threads thats me out the window 25 augest bread cocks never had a toss yet but are still rangeing and not droped a flight yet 2 me thay are like darkness yb but being 08 bread hope u guys are wrong other wise my loft is back at square1 hopping 4 first toss this week if weather lets me

I don't think so but I think they do need some basket work. Rearing out of untried yearlings is an interesting point. Good pigeons I believe fall into 3 categories, a) the majority good racers but poor breeders, so you will breed mainly rubbish from these, B) a small percentage that will breed and race c) a tiny minority that are out and out breeders and invariably get lost racing before realising they can breed. But most lofts have many birds that are not good birds and they will breed rubbish anyway. So for me I think you will breed far more rubbish from yearlings regardless of whether they are tried or not. Hope that makes sense!

Guest spin cycle
The idea of not racing young birds is old fashioned and bad for the sport. Since young bird racing became profitable

owen must be on a different planet from you.  when did yb racing become profitable?????

at most nowadays you get  2 bob and a ballon for it and thats usually a burst one.

dont rmember it ever being profitable here. dont think the idea of not racing yb is old fashioned. think with all the trouble with yb nowadays and the horrific loses more and more fanciers are going this way and only training them. Going back 20 and 30 years i think most ybs went to the end and a lot were left.  unless you are extremly lucky nowadays most dissapear.

yb racing is profitable...just not for us. think of the sales, the advertising, the carriage....it far outweighs the stock side of things. then there are 1 loft races ....not to mention the ring sales 1,000,000 isn't it ? for the rpra alone. i don't know if pigeon racing could exsist without the money or whether yb losses will ultimately be our downfall.JMO

i would say they dont "need" to be raced but a duffer is a duffer whether it is raced as a young bird or not and will eventually be found out. i enjoy yb racing (some of the time anyway lol) and the season is short enough as it is but its a free country and everyone is entitled to do as they wish