percentage of good bird

blaz

in your loft what percent of your birds would you class as good birds. the reson i ask as some of the members have put up a VERY LOW percent of good birds in their loft saying the rest are crap. it takes a good bird to win club a better bird to score in fed and better yet to score at national level . or am i wrong in this

The mind boggles, why would you knowingly keep crap, we have 15 cocks to race now 3 x 4 yo 1 has 4x1st plus many other prizes, 1 has 1st fed plus many other good prizes the other has won every year racing and also has 29th open NMCC messac, 23rd and 33rd section K 418th and 514th open NFC from Fougeres and Messac. we have 1 x3yo he has 4x1st plus a stack of other good prizes(i consider him to be our best) we have 3 x2yo 1 with 2x1st, 2x4th last year as a yearling he won the 5 bird club(20 members) from Portland 200 miles by 4 mins the other 2 are nestmates both multi prizewinners last year 1 being only beat by loftmates for 1st. the other 8 are yearlings that were unraced as babies, if they don't perform they don't stay simple as that, our hens are unraced but most have bred winners or prizewinners, why anyone would keep a pigeon they consider crap is beyond me, give them the chance to prove themselves and if they don't they don'y stay!!

The mind boggles, why would you knowingly keep crap, we have 15 cocks to race now 3 x 4 yo 1 has 4x1st plus many other prizes, 1 has 1st fed plus many other good prizes the other has won every year racing and also has 29th open NMCC messac, 23rd and 33rd section K 418th and 514th open NFC from Fougeres and Messac. we have 1 x3yo he has 4x1st plus a stack of other good prizes(i consider him to be our best) we have 3 x2yo 1 with 2x1st, 2x4th last year as a yearling he won the 5 bird club(20 members) from Portland 200 miles by 4 mins the other 2 are nestmates both multi prizewinners last year 1 being only beat by loftmates for 1st. the other 8 are yearlings that were unraced as babies, if they don't perform they don't stay simple as that, our hens are unraced but most have bred winners or prizewinners, why anyone would keep a pigeon they consider crap is beyond me, give them the chance to prove themselves and if they don't they don'y stay!!

I can only echo was has been said, I had a small team of cocks to race, each one had won prizes, some multiple!

Same with stock bird, all my 8 pairs had bred winners, why keep birds that are no good.

your 100% correct mate, i think we keep hoping that they will win, giving them too many chances and just to make the numbers up but in this days racing you could have a good bird out in front only to be chased by bop, resulting in it coming late, how many times have we said they should have been here by now, the lads 12 miles from us have seen the 1st batch of birds turned by bop with the second lot getting through a lot of weeks so these birds could have been the winner but because of bop they were middle of the pack so not getting a true percentage,sorry, bit of topic  jmo

Guest frank dooman

i dont think you can put a % on that easy if you are going for distance it takes you 3 year to find some birds out some familys mature faster than others so if you kill them after 2 years you will never find the good distance birds yes i know there are some that will win at the short/middle distance but most of my good birds at the distance were only steady up untill 2yr/old and i think there is at least 4 stages for birds good bad and hopefulls and the thing we keep most of is average JMO

i dont think you can put a % on that easy if you are going for distance it takes you 3 year to find some birds out some familys mature faster than others so if you kill them after 2 years you will never find the good distance birds yes i know there are some that will win at the short/middle distance but most of my good birds at the distance were only steady up untill 2yr/old and i think there is at least 4 stages for birds good bad and hopefulls and the thing we keep most of is average JMO

yes definately food for thought. :-/ :-/ ;):)

food for them is to exspensive to be feeding it to rubbish.

Well until Mr Basket has had a fair and thorough chance with good, healthy and conditioned pigeons to sort the chaff out, that is exactly waht you will be doing and have to do. A honest and accruate record is also a must.

When starting a new family it is exactly like Frank says. No short cuts for the distance, and a fair bit of disappointments along the way ... Then hopefully a decent set up can then be made a decent start of with what is left and provened. No making excuses, because you will have a few favourite 'Homers' to sort out too, and often along the way. But I firmly believe, that once the New stock is bought in, or stock for a newbie, then that is the only way to play this game. Firm and fair with conditioned birds.... and  ruefully rubbing of ones hands when we make mistakes, and  / or let our birds down.