do not clear

sher

when you get to the lib site, stand you baskets out of the car so the birds can have a good look around and get there bearings.

Also what is motivating them to go home?

hi mate, i let the hens go 1st let them clear and then the cocks,cheers

I don't know how old your birds are or if they've been trained/raced before but it sounds like they have never learned to leave the basket and head straight for home!

hi mate,mostly yearlings and trained as y/bs up to 40 miles about 20 times they had 4 races ,cheers

if you have cocks and hens in seperate hampers take the cocks out of the boot of the car first put them up the side of the car and hide them so the hens cannnot see them wait 10 mins then let the hens go first they will be of like clappers let the cocks go 10 mins after that you will see a different story in 2 days  

Guest Davy Fleming

Could be a number of reasons but if it's happening regular I need to agree with a couple of comments in that there is probably underlying problems. They may look fine but they are simply not. How far are you taking them and how long do they take

Guest mick bowler

I know this is against what many say, but when you get to lib point get the birds straight out, dont wait with them! Honest to god was told this many years ago and it works, when birds are used to it they dont even circle! I suspect you need good birds too!

If they're getting released in decent weather and still taking time to clear I feel they may have an underlying health problem. Do they look in any way distressed when they get home?

got to agree, if not clearing could be canker or respitory, jmo

I don't know how old your birds are or if they've been trained/raced before but it sounds like they have never learned to leave the basket and head straight for home!

last couple of years my birds have donr the same as yours mate, never cleared for 5/10 mins, And yes they did have health issues,  But this year flying well round home, and clearing straight away,

Think you need to look at the way you transport the birds to the training point. If its a closed car or worse still a closed darkened boot, lack of light and / or ventilation may be at the root of the problem. In my experience birds allowed to sit in the basket for 10 minutes at the lib point usually clear quickly, a half turn in the sky and they are off for home. The only other time that my birds have not cleared, there's been something in the sky on the road for home that's put them off. If it's the same training point, you have may have stumbled into a hunting ground, I'd move to another location and see if there is any improvement.