help cats

mark proctor

morning lads,,has anyone got any pictures to put on for me of like things they put on there loft roofs to stop the cats pouncing on there pigeons,,,what im trying to say is ive got a ally way at the back of my widowhood loft and cats are sneeking up on my cocks...i had 2 the other day comming from both directions ..if i wouldnt of been in the bedroom window i would of been a few cocks down...i have a tield roof 11ft loft that runs across the back of my garden...apex roof..i was thinking about putting a 4ft piece of 2 x 2 on each end and washing line zig zagged from 1 piece of wood to the other to give the cocks a chance so the cat as to slow down before pouncing on the birds,,,if you now what i mean...shorely some were licl b @ q or wicks sell brackets so i dont have to use wood as the peek tiles stick over 5 inches on each side of the loft and would need like a bent bracket to go round them...any photos or ideas please lads as i dont wont to let my birds out any more till ive sorted it....b.....d cats... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :B :B :B :B :B

i found that kids plastic fans like the ones you get from the seaside act as a good deterent they also hate 2ltr pop bottle full of water !!!

i have another solution but it is a last ditch attempt  ;)

Mark

there is only one thing that really works. An electric fence unit. It will be there keeping guard all the time day and night if you want it to.

And the best thing about it is that it does not do any real damage to the cats.

You are right, you can not go on like you are at present, because the birds will loose their confidence and will not perform for you.

Get organised with an electric fence and, providing you fit it up properly, your cat troubles will be over.

Mark

there is only one thing that really works. An electric fence unit. It will be there keeping guard all the time day and night if you want it to.

And the best thing about it is that it does not do any real damage to the cats.

You are right, you can not go on like you are at present, because the birds will loose their confidence and will not perform for you.

Get organised with an electric fence and, providing you fit it up properly, your cat troubles will be over.

that bigbok...thanks owen m8,,yes the electric fence sounds good to me..a few years ago there was no cats left in grimsby but im getting old and soft now...cheers lds...

Just to add to what I wrote this morning. I had new neighbours who had cats. And the other side I had a cat lover who owned something like 10 of them.

It came to a head when one of my best cocks came back from training late. I was up at the house at the time. The poor little thing had no chance because they hunted him down. 3 of them were stalking him and before I realised what was going on one of the devils got him. He was badly bitten but still alive.

I learned two things that day. The first was that cat saliva is poison and if they bite something that creature will surely die of blood poisoning. And the other thing was that there is no way you can be reasonable with cats or their owners. You have to take proper measures to protect your stock. That was why I decided on an an electric fence unit. These days you can buy units to run on batteries or the mains and they are designed for poultry, dogs and cats right up to big animals like horses and cattle. The best bit is that, once the cat has gained respect for the unit, it will understand that it can not go near it. I often see next door's cats doing their cat things on nextdoor's lawn, but they never bother me at all. Everybody wins.

Just to add to what I wrote this morning. I had new neighbours who had cats. And the other side I had a cat lover who owned something like 10 of them.

It came to a head when one of my best cocks came back from training late. I was up at the house at the time. The poor little thing had no chance because they hunted him down. 3 of them were stalking him and before I realised what was going on one of the devils got him. He was badly bitten but still alive.

I learned two things that day. The first was that cat saliva is poison and if they bite something that creature will surely die of blood poisoning. And the other thing was that there is no way you can be reasonable with cats or their owners. You have to take proper measures to protect your stock. That was why I decided on an an electric fence unit. These days you can buy units to run on batteries or the mains and they are designed for poultry, dogs and cats right up to big animals like horses and cattle. The best bit is that, once the cat has gained respect for the unit, it will understand that it can not go near it. I often see next door's cats doing their cat things on nextdoor's lawn, but they never bother me at all. Everybody wins.

Agree with it all Owen

When i have the lofts completed i will be having some metal rods fixed on the back of the lofts with possibly barbed wire on, also some of the cat ultrasonic scarers for when i have the birds out - Also now never leave my birds out on there own which is something i tended to do at the old house.

The reason i havent gone for the electric fence is my lofts are right next to a dyke so i think i actually need the cats to be under the loft in the night to keep any potential vermin away.

If it wasnt for this reason the electric fence would be the only option i would take.

Agree with it all Owen

When i have the lofts completed i will be having some metal rods fixed on the back of the lofts with possibly barbed wire on, also some of the cat ultrasonic scarers for when i have the birds out - Also now never leave my birds out on there own which is something i tended to do at the old house.

The reason i havent gone for the electric fence is my lofts are right next to a dyke so i think i actually need the cats to be under the loft in the night to keep any potential vermin away.

If it wasnt for this reason the electric fence would be the only option i would take.

I got an ultrasonic deterent from one of the sunday papers,its great and it works,the company garantees it or money back,

it has the sound you cant hear or you can turn it onto alarm, and it would scare\ anything, I saw the same one on here in the google adverts, its the advert with all the small bird houses on them, this one also has a strobe light on it to keep birds away, this you turn off when birds out,

Guest milkyal

Well heres my theroy, spray you fence or garden wall with jeyes fluid. They tell me this keeps them away. Just moved house and had a cat doing its thing in my garden (have no birds here at the moment), i sprayed with jeyes and not seen anything since. Its worth a go even if you do it once a week.

THE FIFER

something to consider. A friend built a beautiful new house and after it was finished he had a loft built. He then had two of those electronic cat scarers fitted up each side of the loft. These were top of the range scarers. From time to time I would visit and we would sit drinking coffee watching his birds flying up and down and in and out of the open doors of the loft. It was great and the birds had their freedom most of the time.

A couple of times we saw cats coming along a path towards the loft just outside is property. It was quite amusing to see how they would come into range of the cat scarers and change direction. I remember telling him, as a joke, that he should be careful that there was not a deaf cat in the area.

Two or three monthes later I had a panic phone call from my mate. A cat had attacked the pigeons. The first thing I asked was to find out if the cat scarer device was switched on and working. It was.

As it turned out my joke had been a prediction, although we had not realised at the time. After that I helped him to fit an electric fence unit. That was about 10 yeaqrs ago and no cat problems since that time.

The moral of this story is, that you should beware of deaf cats. Mind you, the cat concerned could have been starving hungry and determined. We will never know.

Guest rodders

mark i know someone who breeds pedigree cats and they have run of garden and none get out and no strays get in

got you thinking now aint i :)

and to stop them getting on your 11ft loft you need 3 broom handles and short length of 2x1 fix 4 inch nails into ends of broom shafts fix piece of 2x1 so it sticks out about 2 inches from edge of loft roof with holes drilled thro it at the end then fix nails in the broom shafts thro the holes so that the broom handle spins like on axle and again till full length of loft so when a cat trys to grip it to pull itself up it turns and cat carnt get a crip

simple but it works m8

mark i know someone who breeds pedigree cats and they have run of garden and none get out and no strays get in

got you thinking now aint i :)

and to stop them getting on your 11ft loft you need 3 broom handles and short length of 2x1 fix 4 inch nails into ends of broom shafts fix piece of 2x1 so it sticks out about 2 inches from edge of loft roof with holes drilled thro it at the end then fix nails in the broom shafts thro the holes so that the broom handle spins like on axle and again till full length of loft so when a cat trys to grip it to pull itself up it turns and cat carnt get a crip

simple but it works m8

Brilliant :)

THE FIFER

something to consider. A friend built a beautiful new house and after it was finished he had a loft built. He then had two of those electronic cat scarers fitted up each side of the loft. These were top of the range scarers. From time to time I would visit and we would sit drinking coffee watching his birds flying up and down and in and out of the open doors of the loft. It was great and the birds had their freedom most of the time.

A couple of times we saw cats coming along a path towards the loft just outside is property. It was quite amusing to see how they would come into range of the cat scarers and change direction. I remember telling him, as a joke, that he should be careful that there was not a deaf cat in the area.

Two or three monthes later I had a panic phone call from my mate. A cat had attacked the pigeons. The first thing I asked was to find out if the cat scarer device was switched on and working. It was.

As it turned out my joke had been a prediction, although we had not realised at the time. After that I helped him to fit an electric fence unit. That was about 10 yeaqrs ago and no cat problems since that time.

The moral of this story is, that you should beware of deaf cats. Mind you, the cat concerned could have been starving hungry and determined. We will never know.

yes agree about deaf cats, you now get them with strobe lights on them, for cats, the one i have the strobe light is supposed to be for birds, I still say the scarecrow water jet is best,

The cat friendly way is ask your neighbors to put a bell on the cats collar, this will alert the birds and you when they are in your area.

The pigeon friendly way is what we use if that does not work :(

Never works. Tried it like many others. Besides when a cat stalks it moves so slow and methedical that the bells don't even move. Certainly nowhere near enough to ring and that's fer sure.

Electric fence  :-/ Oh yes and THAT does work. ;) Works every time. Never had one come back to try again yet  ;D ;D

Guest frank dooman

Never works. Tried it like many others. Besides when a cat stalks it moves so slow and methedical that the bells don't even move. Certainly nowhere near enough to ring and that's fer sure.

Electric fence  :-/ Oh yes and THAT does work. ;) Works every time. Never had one come back to try again yet  ;D ;D

agree rolly elect/fence only way

Never say never Roland, nothing is foolproof but every little bit helps :-/

morning lads,,i no theres alot of reply,s to my thread but all i was asking if anyone,s got any photos of what or if they put things on the top of there tield roofs like netting or wire ect ect...just to give me a idea,,the cats shouldnt be a problem as long as im there when my cocks are out,,,,cheers lads...mark..

http://www.countrystoredirect.com/acatalog/Electric_Fencing.html?gclid=CIW7sYiPtZ4CFSBk4wods2NgEQ

First class. very prompt delivery. £50 - £70 and £6 a year to run. Phone them or Email them and they are very buisness like and helpful.

Yes never say never Carol.... Mind if thay come back they get another shock lol.  :P ;D ;D ;D

morning lads,,i no theres alot of reply,s to my thread but all i was asking if anyone,s got any photos of what or if they put things on the top of there tield roofs like netting or wire ect ect...just to give me a idea,,the cats shouldnt be a problem as long as im there when my cocks are out,,,,cheers lads...mark..

A rubber snake and make sure we just keep moving it and also change it from time to time