Sexing Young Birds

paul l

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
there are many theory's, needle test, toe lengths, rear end etc but wait and see unless you have a reason to know
no reason mate just thought now ive got all my young birds flying i would try to sex them ive already sex a few cocks which stand out a mile but there is one or two small ones which i thought was hens small round heads thin necks but act like cocks ,im just not sure  ;)

if you are splitting the sexes then the ones you are not sure about put in with the hens, if they then start to show move them with the other cocks.

thats my plan to split them up but not yet , so i will just keep watching and learning thanks for your help phil  ;)

Toe length theory is where you hold the bird facing towards you and hold the leg out. Gently squeeze the first and third toe together towards the middle toe. A hen will have both toes of equal length and in cocks the outer toe will be longer than the inner toe.