WING STAMPS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EXCEPT FOR THE ODD ONE OR TWO I HAVE NOT STAMPED MY BIRDS FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS NOW AS I FIND THAT THE COILED RINGS WITH EITHER YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS OR TELEPHONE NUMBER ON TO WORK JUST AS WELL.A FEW YEARS BACK I ALLWAYS PURCHASED ENOUGH RINGS WITH MY TELEPHONE NUMBER ON AND RUNG THE YOUNGSTERS WITH THEM ON ONE LEG AND THE NORMAL RPRA RING ON THE OTHER THESE WOULD THEN  STAY ON THE BIRD FOR LIFE,(THESE WERE THE PERMANENT RINGS NOT THE COILED ONES)THE PROBLEM I FOUND USING THESE WERE THAT WHEN SHOWING I SOMETIMES FOUND SOME FANCIERS WOULD MOAN BECAUSE THE BIRD HAD A RING WITH MY PHONE NUMBER ON OBVIOUSLEY THINKING THAT THE JUDGE WOULD KNOW WHO THEY BELONGED TO,SO NOW I USE THE COILED ONES WHICH CAN BE REMOVED WHEN NECCESAREY.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think there would be much point, as I don't think birds AU banded are accpted by the RPRA for racing
You are right Hyacinth the RPRA do not accept birds with AU rings as they have no way of reporting the birds if lost. The only way round that would to put an AU ring on as well as an RPRA ring and I see no point in doing that :)

speight, lambournes in the BHW advertise these rings, & are very good, or can order from their site i think its:

www.lambournes.co.uk

Thanks, snowy .....

I thinking about order ring's some from Boddy + Ridewood , I got red stamp for  2 years now. it works for me.

Can i buy different ink colours or not for stamp?

My birds are stamped three times Speight.  The trouble is, being white, the red stamp shows through! :(   I also bought some of the coiled rings but, I'm saving these for the young birds. ;)

that's what i do twice or three times stamped...but problem is some dark cheque's that can't see red stamp any chance to have a bright colour stamp?

• 2 weeks later...

jusst started last year and all my ybs were stamped!!....... 27 lost( mostly my own inexperienced fault lol) 3 reported 2 by none fanciers! is it really that difficult to pick the phone up? at least give the fancier the chance to say wether he wants the bird back? i had 30+ strays in last year over half wer nt stamped! so thay got fed and released the others were reported straight away and a few wanted them back and a few are still here at my lofts now. so come on nice people pick up the phone 1 of those strays you get in copuld be from a new starter like me. And its a bit disheartening

thanks for reading my whinge!! lol

• 3 months later...

Agree with Alan Smith,

It is an RPRA rule all pigeons should be stamped ( and I believe on 3 flights ) or have a name and addres ring on them and this to be done before training.  As I wean my youngsters, my Tel No goes on 3 flights.

I alwasy stamp y\birds as SHU rule. We also report any strays that come in and made a lot of great mates when reporting birds. We also have a folder with all birds reported since 2001. is it a rpra rule that you must stamp old birds as we got some in last year not stamped 3 of them from scotland, 5 from england.

about foreign rings i think they can be re registered with your union if you have the regisration card,,about the wing stamps , my opinion is   all  ybs should be wing stamped  [ in shu only ybs] also coiled address rings , trouble is a lot of fanciers dont want them back,,,,,to tight to be responsible for their own birds.

I always stamp our birds often re-stamp two or three times. Do we get 'em reported? Not very often. Birds come in here, feed and water then chuck 'em out every day till they clear. Are they all rubbish? Had a double rubberd Scottish stray in one night, looked in the book, SNFC liberated La Ferte Bernard 301mls to me. Fed waterd chucked out. He wasn't on the roof in the morning. We had an Irish bird here came in fed and waterd every day, wouldn't stay in the pen when I went near. He stayed on my roof over two weeks. When the wind turned east he cleared. Two days later he returned coverd in blood and in a hell of a mess. He came in, and for the first time he let me catch him. IHU 2002 so 56543. When he was able to fly again and the wind once again turned east, he cleared. That bird certainly had "Balls and Brains " I only hope his owner saw the huge effort he made to get home. He was still showing his battle scars when he left. Do we in the fancy do eneough? I think not.

imgetting to the stage now if iget a strayinwith no wing stamp im afraid i will be reporting them, as why should iand 90% of fanciers stamp them and the minority do as they please? reallyon marking night a quick check of the wing should see if theyare stamped if not i would refuse toput them through as in effect it is ilegal!!

NEHU do not have to wing stamp and are not allowed to use telephone no. rings for national races - stupid rule. Our birds are wing stamped, and young birds have telephone no. rings at the moment - we rarely get them reported. Only one was reported last year, which was AMTRAK'd home. Its very disheartening not getting the missing ones reported, every stray was reported that came into our garden, I wish others would do the same with ours. Not all want them back, we endeavoured to get a few home by taking them 70 or 80 miles down the road, but then you don't get a phone call to say they have returned when you have made all the effort for somebody elses bird.

I'm not sure that all the assumptions in this thread that fanciers are getting strays in and not reporting them are necessarily true. If the young bird losses are as big as are claimed, I for one would expect to be snowed under with stray youngbirds every year and I haven't been ...

Think I'd three at most last year, a wing-stamped RPRA-rung Scottish pigeon which the guy collected ; a non wing-stamped RPRA-rung Scottish pigeon which a member of the public handed-in to me, which I repatriated, and a Fifer which went into the Scottish stray basket as per SHU instructions. Haven't seen many OBs., but usually a drink & bite to eat is all they need to get them on their way again.

I've posted before that I wondered where all these lost birds end up. We're an island, birds can quickly run out of ground and I shudder to think what may happen after that.

We have just gone a hen back today at 3.00 pm that went missing from last weeks race, her first. She has been looked after by somebody as she is in too good a condition, she was wing stamped. You wonder if she went over, or backover, etc - I thought she was dead. She was the first bird we ever bred, and won't be raced again this year........ but it only takes a phone call to put someones mind at rest. I don't think I'm cut out to be a pigeon person, I cried for 3 days.......

The rest of us have feelings too Redcheqhen. I was full of pride for days when I got my first 600miler. and I only had admiration for the Irish stray I had 6 posts back. Being a truck driver I can often get 'em somewhere near home.  Sometimes within sight of the loft. Only I don't think there are that many that want a 44 tonne truck outside their house at 5 in the morning.