age first started, keeping pigeons

jimmy white

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started keeping Pigeons when I was 9 years old.  I can remember my first pair of Racing Pigeons, they where two brothers one was a reddin and the other was a cheq, and I loved the bones of them.  I use to race home from school and spend all my time with them :) both where 1988 birds, with green rings on.  They where kindly bred for me, by a fancier, called Colin.  Sadly I lost both of them :'( I think they where stolen from me.  I did not start keeping them again till I was 13, then I had a two year break, then I started again for about 6 months when I was 15, then I stopped all together.  Between all the time I kept them, I never did race them, they where more pets then anything.  I am now 27, and I have just started again, but this time I am starting the sport proper, and I am going to start racing next season.  I just had a 12x6 shed built, and I had to convert it into a loft.  Cost me a fortune!! :o from start to finish.  Oh well I suppose it will be all worth it, when I get them up and running. :)

Steve. :) ;D :D

I started with pigeons in 1988 at the age of 30. My father got involved with them some 10 years earlier after I had left home. I used to pop round there now and again on Saturdays to see them come home, never dreamt that I would end up keeping them myself. Wasn't till a few years later when having a couple of kids, working all the overtime I could I felt I needed a hobby to help me chill out some, decided to keep a few pair of pigeons and as Forest Gump said  'And that was that'  :)

;D I first started aged 8 years , my dad , uncles , grandad all flew birds from my grandads house . i got my own by swopping 3 gunea pigs for a pair took them home kept in for a week to settle , let out never to be seen again? I then had 3 squeakers off a fancier who had them in the nest for channel birds to race to . built up to 8 birds by end of year. all very tame ,out every day whatever the weather . until a cat got in and wiped me out !spent winter months collecting wood and built a bigger box , more secure . got more unwanted birds and bred ybs and kept them till 14 , when we moved house and couldnt keep them there . Started again 3 years ago , as happy now as i was when a kid ?

My dad brought me home 6 rollers when I have 8 years old, I have kept pigeons for the last 49 years with a short 3 year hitch in the military when I couldn't.  I really do not understand why my father brought me the birds and then kept them for me when I was in the Army.  He never had or kept pigeons before or after.  Go figure huh..  Regards.  Ed

• 4 months later...
Guest jason

I was 11 when i first ever got started, got meself 2 tumblers with feathered legs for 50p each. 12 months later started racing and used them as trappers.

Jason

I was 10. My brother brought home 4 ferals he had caught and gave them to me as pets. That was in 1973. The bug bit and I soon started thinking about racing pigeons, so the following year my dad built me a loft and took me to a few sales and we started to build a team to fly as father and son the following year.

Circumstances meant the birds had to go in 1979.

As we all know the bug never really goes so last year decided to start putting a team together to start racing in April.

Guest REDFOXKRAUTHS

i got my first bird when i was as year old the bird was a near white the only ever near white my dad and all his mate bred off the krauth lines so he kept it and i took a shine to it it hatched the say year i way born but sadly died age 12 after being a superb breeding hen :'(

I was 28 in 2000 and I had always had animals but never birds when one day when I used to work at a railway station Rentakill turned up and said they were going to cull the ferrals....I could'nt let them do that so i ended up taking them home,hand reared 2,the rest is history as they say

Guest REDFOXKRAUTHS
when at school 14yrs, and we had a boys club, and birds were convoyed with the local club. for free, we did'nt have clocks so had to run to a point with ur rubber.

MY DAD AND HIS MATES HAD TO DO THAT IN THE 1960'S